Mother, do you think they’ll try to break my….
They probably will….but wait. Am I eligible?
- Parliamentary elections have been announced in India.
- 25 % of the 714 million strong voting population is below the age of 35.
- Political aspirants galore among these.
Who is eligible to contest in these elections?
The person must be:
- An Indian citizen
- 25 years of age or more
- A voter from any parliamentary constituency in the country
Who can be disqualified?
According to the PRS Legislative Research the prospective candidate can be disqualified if:
- The candidate has been convicted for an offense and sentenced to imprisonment
- The candidate has been disqualified by any parliamentary law or for political defection.
- A government servant has been dismissed for corruption or for disloyalty to the state.
- A person is convicted for promoting enmity between different groups or for bribery
- A person has been punished for preaching and practising social crimes like untouchability dowry and sati.
- The person is of unsound mind.
Now – what do you think? ( I am eligible)