But do you know the right technique to breathe deeply? My mom’s physiotherapist would always insist she followed this technique to ensure that a/ the abdominal muscles stay strong b/ strengthen the lungs. After all, we must breathe to enjoy life, right? So on to the technique:
- Lie on your back, on a flat surface
- Place one hand on your stomach just above your belly button, and the other hand on your chest
- Inhale slowly, making sure that your stomach rises a bit
- Hold your breath for a second
- Slowly exhale, letting your stomach sink back down.
I was looking for an appropriate picture – but this diagrammatic representation seemed perfect. Practise this to perfect it! Ever see a sleeping baby breathe? They do it instinctively!