If you enjoy a skipping rope/jump rope – the great news is – these are not just for kids. In fact, if you’ve been feeling rather lazy about exercising – a jump rope is a great way to put that twang back into your routine. Remember what fun it was back in school? I do!
Best of all, a jump rope won’t pinch your pocket – you only need a rope and some space. Jumping rope is great as a cardio workout and you benefit by improving your balance, agility and coordination.
Here are some tips to jump rope the right way:
- Use some wrist and forearm when turning the rope – small circles or a cranking motion. Keep your hands level with your hips – don’t move them higher or lower.
- Jump only an inch or two off the ground. Avoid big jumps, and try to land softly.
- Push off from and land on the balls of the feet. Your heels should just tap the ground.
- Relax your neck and shoulders and avoid hunching.
- Keep your elbows bent. A rope that’s too long will pull your elbows away from your torso.
- Breathe normally. You should be able to have a conversation with someone while you’re jumping.
Okay, so lets get to the bottom line! How many calories will you burn?
A calculator on YourEllipticals.com shows that if you weigh, for example, about 155 pounds:
- Slow jumping burns 9.4 calories per minute and 281 calories per half hour.
- Moderate jumping burns 11.7 calories per minute and 352 calories per half hour.
- Fast jumping burns 14 calories per minute and 422 calories per half hour.
Cool eh? Worth it? So go get that jumping rope! Stay healthy!
(I got the lovely picture here from moosoneepublicschool.ca )
Thank you for subscribing to my blog! Do consider leaving a comment – or just reply to this email! I’d love to know what you think.