Uncategorized

Attitude: First Class

Attitude, the good word, no matter how much it gets thrashed around, always rocks. You’ve got to admit that it is a great topic to talk about. But what really adds value to this wonderful word is actually seeing it in action on a daily basis.

One of the residents in our Condo complex is a terrific lady. Always cheerful. Enthusiastic. Energetic. In short – all those things that make a person so very like-able. This morning, Vidur and I left for school as usual. We went down to our garage. Now – we have a shutter that sometimes needs Schwarzenegger-like strength to raise it. Just as I braced myself and raised the shutter in one go, I heard the tack-tack-tack of a walking stick. And there she was. Our very own favorite lady. “Hi Vidur” she said. Our man smiled and said “hello aunty”. Then she said “all the best for your exams, raja” And he said “thanks aunty”. Then she squeezed his shoulder affectionately and said  “Hey Vidya – how are you” And I said “Fine aunty. And you?” She said “First Class”.

The moment she said “First Class” the day somehow brightened for me instantly. Consider this: she had an accident about a year ago and had to undergo surgery. She’s still recovering from it and has to necessarily use support to walk in the form of a walking stick – the sort that has a claw like end for more support than the usual single-pronged one. Why am elaborating this is – She lives on the third floor and including our basement, that’s four floors up. I am thinking about how she has to climb four floors when there’s a power-cut. Step by step.

So – the fact that she says “First Class” whenever we say “how are you” is a big mood-upper – not just for me, but for most of our building residents. What a great way to look at life, and make others happy in the process.

Thank you for subscribing to my blog! Do consider leaving a comment – or just reply to this email! I’d love to know what you think.

Cheers!

Vidya

Vishal Dharamdas
    March 3, 2011 at 9:21 am

Hey Vidya, this was a great read. It’s true…no matter what difficult times you going through, it the attitude you carry around that shows….
    Loved it 🙂

Laxman
    March 3, 2011 at 11:46 am

I have been following your other blog ‘coffee with mi’. So, i have read the posts that appeared on my desk top from that blog. After a long time i came here to this blog, and i must say, i read some great posts here. Going to come back here more often.

March 3, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Thank you, Laxman, glad you enjoyed it.

March 3, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Thanks Vishal. That “aunty” is truly an inspiration for all of us. She’s very proactive and takes initiative not only with the well-being of our condo complex, but also the Youth Club. 🙂 You know I love your blog.

monu
    March 5, 2011 at 7:45 am

Companionship with positive minded people will change your life. its a BIG truth.

I remember a New year resolution by a friend “Will avoid friendship with negative minded people” 🙂

March 5, 2011 at 7:57 am

Monu, that’s a wonderful resolution – I like it! Worth practicing. You, its one of the reasons why children are such fun to be with.

Ashima
    June 18, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Superlike 🙂 It is very important to generate a good attitude, a good heart, as much as possible. 🙂

June 18, 2011 at 4:01 pm

A warm welcome, Ashima!

International Womens Day. My SHeros #WomenInspire Change - Vidya Sury
    March 8, 2014 at 11:09 pm

[…] Picnics with her are great fun. I am grinning as I write this. If I had to give an example of great attitude, she would be that example. Always proactive. Always taking an initiative for the building […]