Uncategorized

Sunday In My City – Karthigai Deepam

It is the month of “Karthigai” which is significant. We light lamps every day, inside and outside the house. (See this link for details.)

Here’s mine. I arrange the oil lamps on a plate for easier handling.

VidyaSuryLamps

VidyaSuryLamp

VidyaSuryLamp2

When my Mom was alive, she would celebrate it in a big way, since it is also a festival that honors brothers. We make a lot of yummy eats. Oh yes, all Hindu festivals are characterized by eating and being merry.

Here’s a picture that fascinated me. That’s a stack of firewood at the Udupi Krishna temple. The deity is very very beautiful and the story associated with it is even lovelier. Couldn’t get a pic of that, though. The temple is about 1500 years old and built entirely of wood. I couldn’t get enough of this stack, though.  It is quite massive, as you can see.VidyaSuryUdupi

Thank you, Unknown Mami, for hosting Sundays in my City.

Thank you for subscribing to my blog! Do consider leaving a comment – or just reply to this email! I’d love to know what you think.

Cheers!

Vidya

oceangirl
    November 6, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Hi. The lights look really pleasing and peaceful. Happy celebration. It is nice to visit.

Tina´s PicStory
    November 6, 2011 at 1:45 pm

nice shots!

My Inner Chick
    November 6, 2011 at 5:30 pm

I Love your Sunday Photos.

I love candles & light.

They are a remembrance of HOPE.

Love to you, My Dear, Vidya. x

And the Temple. Can you pray inside of it?

Tara R.
    November 6, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Your lamp shots are so pretty. The glow of the flames is mesmerizing.

StarTraci
    November 6, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I love the candles. I light candles in my home everyday, it just seems to warm the heart and the home.

Happy Sunday!
    🙂
    Traci

November 6, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Thanks Tara. It may sound strange, but there’s peace in lighting them 🙂 It is part of our worship.

November 6, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Hi Tina! Thanks. Your blog is always such a pleasure to visit.

November 6, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Traci – I loved your deer. Yes, lamps warm the heart.

November 6, 2011 at 5:10 pm

@oceangirl – thanks for visiting. you have a fabulous blog. I enjoyed reading “Blue” today.

November 6, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Kim! Yes, one can pray inside the temple. Very close to the deity if we slip the priest a couple of Gandhis (read Cash ;-)) I just love my lamps. I’ve got all sorts – brass, copper, silver and terra cotta.

Unknown Mami
    November 6, 2011 at 6:32 pm

As far as I’m concerned, it’s not a celebration without something yummy to eat.

sheila
    November 6, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Wow, and I thought MY woodpile was a good size, lol THAT PILE IS HUGE!! 🙂

Love looking at your lamp photos, what a beautiful way to celebrate!

tsonodablog
    November 7, 2011 at 2:49 am

Love the lights, Vidya! Thank you for these lovely pictures and a little peek into your world. The firewood just blew me away! How unique!

November 7, 2011 at 3:14 am

@Unknown Mami – we live by that principle. The thing is, even mourning involves celebration-type situations. When someone dies, people get together and socialize.

November 7, 2011 at 3:15 am

@Sheila – that pile was from the second floor upwards 🙂 Good to see you here! I’d love to see your woodpile!

November 7, 2011 at 3:16 am

@Terri! I’ve realized that when we’re ready to look – there’s lots of unique stuff around!

Kristin - The Goat
    November 7, 2011 at 6:02 am

That’s quite a tower of wood and beautiful, too.

November 7, 2011 at 6:04 am

Thank you, Kristin. Always a pleasure to see the changing beautiful headers on your blog.

Angela Artemis/Powered by Intuition
    November 7, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Vidya,
    Thank you for sharing this beautiful custom with us. I love the little oil lamps. When I first went to Greece to visit my relatives in 1974 I was shown something similar. There’s a little plant that makes a leathery seed after it blooms. It’s large about a 1/2 inch. Islanders (Samothraki – where the Winged Victory, AKA Niki statue was found) place these seed pods in olive oil (what else!) and then light the pod. It burns for hours and hours as long as you add more oil.

November 7, 2011 at 3:22 pm

That is very interesting, Angela. You know, we get all kinds of combination oils here, especially for the lamp. Each oil has some significance and benefit for one’s soul, as a reward for using it to light the lamp. Customs enthrall me. Thank you for visiting.

Betsy at Zen-Mama
    November 11, 2011 at 1:43 am

Your lamps are beautiful. I’d love to have some of those for celebrating here. I love seeing your life in India. Thanks for sharing a piece of your life.

November 11, 2011 at 3:18 am

Thank you Betsy. Consider visiting some time. 🙂

Kaylen
    November 13, 2011 at 2:37 am

I’ve never seen lights like this before! Smart idea-super pretty!!!
    My son is going to be visiting India for a week next year – Keep an eye out for the handsome young man named Andrew! 🙂

November 13, 2011 at 2:42 am

Hi Kaylen! Thanks for visiting. I just went and read your post about your “baby”. I often wonder, where does the time fly? I dote on my son, who’ll be 14 in ten days :-). Sure I’ll look out for a “handsome young man named Andrew”. I hope he has a wonderful trip and enjoys our country!