Sundays In My City – Walk With Me

By  |  27 Comments
I was busy all day today with all sorts of things – you know – the sort of things that must be done but at the end of the day make you feel like you didn’t really achieve much  and yet you’re happy with the day. That was the kind of day I had. I didn’t spend much time at the computer apart from checking email once in the morning. Then I was off to cook lunch and later, tackle my list of things to do.As usual, in the evening, we set off for our walk. I usually have the phone camera. But today, I decided to walk a little slowly and capture a few photos to show you what I see, every single day. My fitness regimen consists of housework (to the accompaniment of music) and my daily walk.There is this lovely fresh water lake about a kilometer and a half from our house which has a walking rink around it.  Very nice, indeed. As you are about to see. I clicked a lot of photos and had a really tough time choosing what to post here. I think I overdid it a bit – and if you think it is a little too much, ummm..enjoy it!
Here we go; as always, click the photo to see the full size in a new window.

As soon as I walk into the gates of the Sankey Tank Lake, the first thing my eyes look for are these ducks. I could watch them for hours.

Like me, these dudes slack off sometimes and just chill and watch

Look at these hiding from the gaggle!

There are massive urns of flowering plants along the walking rink

See the flower in the middle? It was blue. No idea why it does not look blue in the pic
This is one of my favorite shots of the day – at the edge of the water, when we look down from the railing around the lake. I just love the color contrast
I was delighted when this group suddenly swam into view – they were all swimming helter-skelter and making a beeline for the little bird-house like structure in the middle of the lake

See? that’s where they’re heading! What you see behind are people walking along the rink – it is an elliptical sort of shape around the lake

A view from the other part of the rink
This is right in the middle of the lake. No leaves on the branches of this tree – makes you think they planted it like that there – the birds love to go perch on it

See – we entered the lake at the far top right and walked right around to this part

Closer to the railing. There are beds of crotons in different colors – shades of yellow, green, beige, red,

They thought to have this pretty setting along the way

It got dark. The lights came on

We decided to head back home. Just outside the gate, was this – a balloon seller who also had inflatable toys. There were lots of vendors, since this place is crowded on Sundays – families come with their kids. I saw a little boy with an inflatable cow, frantically pulling at the udders. Hmm. I giggled all the way home.

Okay, now that I said that, let me share this too. As we walked along as usual, Sury and I were busy talking (he was cooling off after jogging) and Vidur was marching like there was an army after him ahead. As we passed one of the benches (there are lots of them around the lake for people to sit and enjoy the view) – we heard a sound that literally rent the air. We looked at each other, simultaneously realizing that one of the women on the bench had farted  passed wind. Oh boy – it was all we could do to control our laughter until we were well past them. That was our funny moment of the day.

So now, lets head over to the gorgeous Unknown Mami’s blog – and to more lovely cities from there.

Unknown Mami
Did you enjoy the walk?
Thank you for subscribing to my blog! Do consider leaving a comment – or just reply to this email! I’d love to know what you think.Cheers!Vidya

I've enabled both Google+ comments + the usual. You choose which to use ♥

1. Keetha Broyles

February 12, 2012 at 11:59 pm

I too liked that picture you said was your favorite.

February 13, 2012 at 5:59 am

Thanks Keetha. There’s so much there, it all looks gorgeous!

2. Terri Sonoda

February 13, 2012 at 1:45 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE all the pictures! The ducks and the flowers. So lovely! My fave picture was the white and purple flowers by the water. Gorgeous colors! Thank you for taking me on the walk with you, my friend. It was exhilarating! Love your Sundays in My City.
    XOXOs

February 13, 2012 at 6:30 am

Thanks Terri! that’s my favorite photo too! it is a pretty lake – and a lovely walk every day! :-)Hugs!

3. Kaylen

February 13, 2012 at 4:55 am

I think it’s so great that you incorporate a walk into your daily routine every day! It’s not just peaceful, but healthy for you!

Great pictures of your walk. It does look like a lovely place – love the ducks.

February 13, 2012 at 6:32 am

It is, Kaylen – and we’re lucky to have it close enough to go every day! I really love watching the ducks too. Thanks!

4. Harleena Singh

February 13, 2012 at 7:15 am

Loved the pictures Vidya!

We are quite similar where housework, music, as well the daily walks are concerned! That is indeed wonderful to know. You are indeed lucky to live near a lake and have the pleasure to walk around it everyday.

In our case, the lake is there but its around 9-10 km from our place, so walks to that end are out. But our area is surrounded by small hills and green fields, and lots of squirrels, parrots, birds, peacocks etc. I love meandering through the path between these fields with my Ipod when I walk- though when my husband accompanies me- we just share the nature and talk a great deal.

Thanks for sharing :)

February 15, 2012 at 9:03 am

Hi Harleena,

Thanks :-). Yes, I do feel lucky to live near a lake and one that is well-developed and lets us walk around it! Years ago, we lived near hills too, and it was equally charming to explore, and enjoy the fresh air. Your area sounds fabulous. I’d love to meet a peacock on my walk! :-) Walking is great, isn’t it? What music do you listen to? :-)

Love, and thanks for visiting, Vidya

5. Mom Daughter Style

February 13, 2012 at 8:35 am

these are such beautiful pictures! thanks for sharing

February 15, 2012 at 9:07 am

Thank you, Mom and RC :D Your blog was beautiful!

6. BLOGitse

February 13, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Isn’t it great to have a place near your home where you can have a pleasant walk.
    I’ve been walking here in Fuerteventura every morning – in Finland it’s not as pleasant because it’s so cold!

February 15, 2012 at 9:13 am

Yes, BLOGitse! We love the place. Your photos were great! I’d like to visit Spain some day!

7. Cathy Taughinbaugh | Treatment Talk

February 13, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Hi Vidya,

I love the pictures! It is great to see your Sunday walk. How fun to have a lake near by to stroll around.

February 15, 2012 at 9:19 am

Thank you, Cathy! So happy you dropped by! We love our lake!

8. Maggie

February 13, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Vidya that is a beautiful place for a walk! Love the pictures.

February 15, 2012 at 9:14 am

Thanks, Maggie – yes, we enjoy going there. I loved your little “garden” too!

9. Kimberly

February 13, 2012 at 6:48 pm

i am not going to lie.
    Ducks scare the crap out of me. they really do.
    However, my son loves them to pieces. We always have to look for ducks when we go out for our walks in the summer. There is always a flock of them that takes up residence in the ditch down our street…I know…gross.

February 15, 2012 at 9:17 am

:-) Kimberly, who knew? I enjoy watching them play in the water! I think almost all kids love ducks – thanks to all those cute cartoon like illustrations they see in books. :-) I did not always love them – we used to see some ducks near our place in another city and they were always digging in the dirt :D

10. Betsy at Zen-Mama

February 13, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I really enjoyed your day at the park Vidya! Thanks for sharing!!

February 15, 2012 at 9:17 am

Thank you, Betsy, happy you came by!

11. Unknown Mami

February 13, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Farts are just too easy to laugh at, aren’t they? The picture you mentioned is one of your favorites is beautiful, I love it.

February 15, 2012 at 9:19 am

Oh yes, indeed they are :-) Now we look for those two ladies every day! Thanks, Unknown Mami :-)

12. Paige | simple mindfulness

February 14, 2012 at 7:32 am

I love how to stop to notice all the little things that most people circling that lake probably never slow down enough to notice. It’s the little things that really make all the difference.

February 15, 2012 at 9:20 am

Yes, Paige, the little things make a big difference. :-) Thanks for coming by!

13. Joy

February 14, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Thank you for the very beautiful walk! I live at the marina, so I walk oceanside every day..no wonder there is so much peace, Vidya…we live in (and take the time to see) such splendor!

February 15, 2012 at 9:22 am

You’re right, Joy. When we begin to notice every little thing, the world is beautiful and fills us with…joy :D

14. qandlequeen

February 15, 2012 at 5:19 pm

What a great place to take a walk! Love the pictures and the story!