health and wellness tips

Take A Break. Now.

I know. Life is hectic. Tough. Lots to do. No time to take a break. But if you cease to exist because of all that you are trying to cram in to your life, you won’t be around to regret it. Oh wait, I just realized that  being around to regret it is much worse (and very expensive).

But productivity is not about:

• working all hours
  • burning the midnight oil
  • skipping your meals because you are too busy to eat
  • slogging through your lunch hour
  • sitting at your computer clacking away at your keyboard all the time
  • becoming an extension of your desk

If you think that being a workaholic is the best way to become more  productive, it is time to think again. Because you, my dear friend, need a break. Because addiction to work, like anything else, can be fatal.

Why?

When you work continuously ditching those breaks here is what you can expect: increased risk of weight gain and heart disease. Much worse, really. Did you know that if you’re eyeballing your computer screen for more than two hours a day, it causes Computer Vision Syndrome? This is a condition where your vision becomes blurry, you develop headaches and dry eyes. Essentially, you’re looking at a future with reduced vision and possibly, long term nearsightedness, lousy posture and a big butt (not in an attractive way, though).

So what can you do?
Okay, enough with the doom and gloom. The solution to being a maniac at work is simple. All you have to do is get up – and away – from your desk for just five minutes. This can ease the strain on your eyes, while reducing fatigue. Oh, and you’ll feel a lot better!
Better still, try standing at your desk instead of sitting. I do this often, ever since I wrote about how sitting can kill you. The icing on this particular cake? You burn. up. to. 2500. calories. a. week. Yes. Standing around is all you have to do. Not for hours and hours, mind you. Just for as long as you can, comfortably. Then walk around a little. Stretch a little.
You can continue to be the star employee or entrepreneur that you are by taking a break. And if your job doesn’t let you do that, maybe it is time to explore more career options. Don’t let your ego get in the way.
Doesn’t healthier, happier sound good? Yes. Health is wealth

Here’s a wonderful infographic created by LearnStuff.com that nicely illustrates what I just said.

If you are:
  • Guilty of sitting too much
  • Thinking it is a crime to take a break
……it is time to change your thinking and your habits.
And the time is now, not someday.
So tell me:
How do you keep your energy levels up?
Please share your tips in the comments.

Stay healthy!

Thank you for subscribing to my blog! Do consider leaving a comment – or just reply to this email! I’d love to know what you think.

Cheers!

Vidya

R Sudhir Kumar
    November 15, 2012 at 6:29 am

An apt article for today, I loved the infograph. And Thanks again. The next one is on me

November 17, 2012 at 4:06 am

Hi Sudhir! Welcome! Yes – we have a deal! 🙂 Cheers1

Amrita Thavrani
    November 15, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Loved the infograph. Thanks for sharing.

November 17, 2012 at 4:03 am

Hi Amrita! Lovely to see you here. Pretty infographic – I loved it when I received it! Hugs!

Terri Sonoda
    November 15, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Excellent article! I am guilty of sitting too much and I know it. I blame it on my back pain, but it has probably caused it to be worse. Thanks for reminding me to stand more. I will start today! Big HUG!!

November 17, 2012 at 4:02 am

Hugs, Terri! I know what you mean. Ironically, we want to sit when the back aches, but when we sit, the back aches more. My orthopedic once said that sitting makes it weak. Vicious cycle! Walking makes the blood flow better and helps. Yes, I practice what I preach. 😀 Love you! Oh, but when the weather turns cold, you can hear my bones creak all the way to Vegas!

Anne Lyken-Garner
    November 15, 2012 at 11:55 am

Great infograph. I try to go for a walk every other day because I work from home. This really encouraged me to do more about taking breaks from staring at the computer all day.

November 17, 2012 at 4:05 am

Hi Anne! Welcome! 🙂 Yes, this is especially relevant when we work from home. Too easy to sit and slog. 🙂 The consequences are scary, though. I make it a point to walk, too! Hugs!

Joy
    November 15, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Got it..loud and clear…*grin* may you listen to your own advice as well 🙂 This is why I work online, so I can appreciate the sunrise and sunset, the beach and the pool…I make all of that “part of my work”…nourishes me…but I like the reminder 🙂

November 17, 2012 at 4:01 am

Absolutely, Joy – this is as much for me as everyone else. These days, I simply unplug and get out the door, far away from the temptation of the internet. I am an information junkie – so it is especially soothing to get away.

Hugs! Yes, nice to be nudged 😀

Paige | simple mindfulness
    November 15, 2012 at 8:47 pm

My dear sister, you heard me! Gearing up for the launch next week of my Mindful Body program, I’ve been up until 2am every night for the past week putting the million pieces together. While it requires lots of time in front of the computer, my three little ones make sure I don’t sit for too long – they always need me for something! And I drink lots of tea and water so bathroom breaks get me up a lot. 😉

I totally love the infographic!

Big Hugs!!

November 17, 2012 at 3:58 am

Paige dearest, I know you’ve been working way too hard. Your program is just brilliant and I can’t wait to show you off here! And yes – I am always grateful to my son, even if he’s not so little – for pulling me out of that chair frequently. Actually I used to do the drink-a-lot and be grateful for the loo-breaks. Every little helps.
      Time to take care of you, now! Hugs!

Cathy | Treatment Talk
    November 15, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Great post Vidya. I know I can use that reminder to take a break and enjoy life. It’s good for the soul.

November 17, 2012 at 3:56 am

Thank you, Cathy! Now, especially is a good time! 😀

Elle
    November 16, 2012 at 3:55 am

You’ve outdone yourself Vidya. Wonderful infograph and oh my goodness have you hit the nail on the head here. Love it.

Love Elle
    xoxo

November 17, 2012 at 3:55 am

Thank you, Elle. This is an infographic I fell in love with instantly – and it is so very relevant in today’s lifestyle. It is a great nudge. Hugs!

Jack
    November 16, 2012 at 7:42 am

There is a reason why I haven’t been around places as often as I used to be. Break time, disconnecting and dissolving….

November 16, 2012 at 7:44 am

I am tempted to say “Mission Accomplished”, Jack. Hugs! Same here. I’ve been reading..but getting around, off my butt to real places.

Unknown Mami
    November 17, 2012 at 2:36 am

I always need to remind myself to move. It’s so easy to be sedentary. I seem to believe I think better if I am just sitting, but truthfully my best thinking happens when I walk.

November 17, 2012 at 3:54 am

That’s the thing – it is easy to sit – and put those feet up especially when tired. I think better when I walk too..I put it down to the accelerated circulation 😀

Mayura De Silva
    November 17, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Hi Vidya,

Wonderful information 🙂 I don’t know why I hear all about health lately.

I do sit and stare at the computer screen but take my eyes away to look at mobile screen 😀 lol…

Actually I have my meals on my desk too while staring at screen watching a part of movie or such. Some days I miss my meals too (Don’t say my mother or girlie). Usually I stay overnight, but sleep 8 hours or more though.

Well, I started to think about health more 🙂 I feel weight gain right now.

I think drinking water helps dry eyes, no? 🙂

Cheers…

Kaylen
    November 18, 2012 at 5:09 am

I am working on a project right now that has some ridiculously tight deadlines and a few days I found that I literally worked for 17 hours straight – taking two 30 min breaks in there before collapsing into bed at night. The ENTIRE day was spent working at my laptop…Just WORKING. So ridiculous.
    I’ve been doing better lately though – even when I’m on a tight schedule, I make myself take a 15 min walk/stretch break at least once in the morning and once in the afternoon and ComeOnKaylen-at LEAST one hour in the evening.
    Life is hard…but there’s NO need to do that to yourself.

Ken Wert
    November 19, 2012 at 1:01 am

Sounds like me, Vidya, burning the candle at both ends, trying to get more done in less time. And yet, my family is first. So I’ve cut back to posting once per week (as apposed to my previous twice/wk schedule not too long ago, still haven’t launched the eBook (you were so kind to provide a chapter to) or launched my new blog I started hinting I would start over the summer … but didn’t.

I’m learning to do what I can within the time I have to do it and let life go on without me in other areas I would like to move things forward in, but just can’t at the pace I would otherwise like to.

I’m a slow learner, but you have helped today. Thank you!

Erin
    November 20, 2012 at 6:35 pm

VIdya,

I sure am guilty of sitting at the computer too much! I loved this post w/ all the graphics. Makes it so much fun to read!!

Jodi @ Heal Now
    November 25, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Awesome info graphic! I love the facts on there! It will definitely help me make new decisions about how I work. Blink more, stand more, and take more breaks! Going for a run, now!