Uncategorized

One for my digital vacation journal

Life is good

You know I enjoy taking a pleasant digital vacation every once in a while. I find that going offline is rejuvenating and relaxing. Nothing compares to feeling and savoring the textures of life, nature and all that we come in contact with.  This time, my digital vacation included doing simple things like:

• Walking on my terrace – yay! I figured out a way to wear footwear on my right foot.  I place a little wad of tissue paper on the front half of my foot where the footwear covers it to prevent it from grazing over the scabby skin.  I can’t wait to wear shoes and get back to walking at Sankey Tank Lake!
  • I hobbled to and around our local supermarkets where they treated me like a long lost friend. I loved it
  • I went to my son’s school on the pretext of dropping him off – his exams began yesterday.  I enjoyed reminiscing about old times with other parents who can obviously come to meet each other. Happy times.
  • We went out for a leisurely lunch at the campus restaurant after the exam and had a lovely meal
  • We walked back half the way home simply enjoying nature – ever noticed that when you really notice – every thing looks special? To me it does
  • Returned home and settled down to read and doze for a couple of hours and had some nice day dreams
  • Made coffee and relished it along with some amazing wheat  biscuits I got from our local store
  • Finished off the day with an empty kitchen sink
  • Went to bed at 11 pm – I usually plan to -but end up shutting down closer to 1 am

It is a good life. And here are the pictures from my digital vacation with zero air travel

I saw this pretty little patch of flowers in the front yard of an abandoned house

digital vacation walk

No looking for the cheapest flights to head down this peaceful path -it  beckoned. I set forth to see where it led.

Digital vacation walk 2

Didn’t need tickets to enjoy the sudden sight of this tree laden with beautiful jack fruit. Hey! Hi Vidur! See his face in the right bottom corner? Just noticed it 🙂

Digital Vacation Jackfruit 3

Here is a closer look…

Digital vacation jackfruit

…..and an even closer look!

digital vacation fruit

Clearly I was obsessed with the fruit!

On the other side, we saw this – yards and yards of dry leaves that crunched beneath our feet. Can you see the sole surviving green twig in it? What a miracle nature is!

Leaves

As we continued walking, we looked up to see this glorious riot of mauve flowers against the backdrop of the blue sky with fluffy white clouds taking a stroll. Were they also on a digital vacation?

Mauve flowers

Further down the road, I looked up to see the sun twinkling at me, highlighting the lovely yellow flowers

sky gazing digital vacation

These yellow flowers hold such memories for me!

Yellow flowers

Life is good. Everything matters.

A digital vacation is a great idea – I like it at least once a week. It rests the eyes. It keeps headaches at bay. It makes you happy to get back to work! And it lets you get a good night’s sleep!

Now, let’s go to Unknown Mami’s blog. She hosts this sweet meme every Sunday. Free travel included – directly from your keyboard.

Unknown Mami

How often do you take a digital vacation? What do you do?

Love, Vidya

Cathy Taughinbaugh
    March 17, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Hi Vidya,

Glad that you are able to get around! Great pictures! Digital vacations are a necessity. They help keep me balanced as well. My body tells me when it’s time for a break. Keep walking!

Galen Pearl
    March 17, 2013 at 9:29 pm

I take a digital vacation every couple of weeks when I go to my cabin. I take walks, read by the fire, sit by the creek. Very refreshing!
    Galen Pearl recently posted…My Best Friend…AgainMy Profile

March 20, 2013 at 6:51 am

My dearest Teacher! Each time you mention heading to your cabin, I get such wonderful imagery in my head. And I enjoy those scenes! Thank you for being in my life!

Keetha
    March 18, 2013 at 4:08 am

I never thought of a digital vacation before.
    Keetha recently posted…Spring Arrives in My CityMy Profile

March 20, 2013 at 6:50 am

😀 Hugs Keetha! Did you know that visiting your blog is a delightful digital vacation for me and one that I save up as a treat for myself?

David Stevens
    March 17, 2013 at 11:50 pm

Lovely imagery Vidya with words to match. Thankyou!
    be good to yourself
    David
    Life Coach. Listener. Life Lover.
    David Stevens recently posted…40 – 60 an age when everything mattersMy Profile

March 20, 2013 at 6:50 am

Thank you David! You inspire me!

Amit Verma
    March 18, 2013 at 10:20 am

Awesome pics. Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed the post 🙂
    Amit Verma recently posted…4 Most Essential Thoughts that Influence our Entire LifeMy Profile

March 20, 2013 at 6:49 am

Thank you, Amit! Do you live in Bangalore?

Kaarina Dillabough
    March 18, 2013 at 1:08 pm

You are a woman after my own heart. Such a beautiful digital vacation. I, too, love to wander and snap photos, move away from the keyboard and notice the “little things” which, in reality, are some of the most important things.

I’ve been a little removed from the online world this past little while with more than mini-digital-vacations, so I’ve been remiss in keeping up and catching up with you. But you’re never far from mind. And perhaps not far from IRL when your trip to Canada comes…yay! Cheers! Kaarina
    Kaarina Dillabough recently posted…How to Stand Up and Stand Out: Getting Attention for your Book through MediaMy Profile

March 20, 2013 at 6:49 am

🙂 I’ve enjoyed your photos in your facebook timeline, Kaarina! I too believe that the little physical things around us bring more joy than the stuff we might stare at on the digital screen. The secret is being about to touch, feel and savor.

I am so looking forward to meeting you! Hugs!

Debbie
    March 18, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Wow Vidya, great idea. I had never thought of that before. I love going out for a walk, but never thought of taking the camera with me or phone.

Great pictures and that you for the idea and the wonderful pictures of your world.
    Debbie
    Debbie recently posted…Whatever You Give a Woman She Will Make GreaterMy Profile

March 20, 2013 at 6:47 am

Debbie, the joy of catching scenes at random is priceless! 🙂 I am so glad phones have decent cameras these days! Hugs!

Shannon
    March 18, 2013 at 2:57 pm

I love digital vacations…gives the mind a rest and something beautiful to behold.
    Shannon recently posted…Calf Compression Sleeves & The A-Z Challenge 2013My Profile

March 20, 2013 at 6:44 am

Yes! Shannon! 🙂 I am partial to the mini-vacations. Keeps me mind alert and conscious.
      I just popped over to your blog – the background is beautiful! I look forward to interacting with you more!

Love, Vidya

Fran Sorin
    March 18, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Vidya- I keep a small camera in my purse so that wherever I go, I can take a shot when my eye lands on something I want to grab.

You have such a keen eye that captures a certain feeling in your photos. They bring me a great deal of pleasure …xxoo-Fran
    Fran Sorin recently posted…20 Quotes To Inspire Faith …And Usher In SpringMy Profile

March 20, 2013 at 6:40 am

Thank you Fran! In fact, on this particular walk, I thought of you a lot. 🙂 And wished we were walking together, enjoying the colors and textures. We were – in spirit.

Love and hugs!

Betsy/Zen Mama
    March 18, 2013 at 11:45 pm

I love my digital vacations! Mine are usually away from home but why not have just for the day! I love it and love your photos as well!!
    xoxo
    Betsy
    Betsy/Zen Mama recently posted…Start Thinking You’re Lucky With Lucky Thinking!My Profile

March 20, 2013 at 6:39 am

Yes, Betsy! The best part is, it takes virtually no planning and involves zero guilt 😀 Hugs and thanks!

Tess The Bold Life
    March 19, 2013 at 2:42 am

Vidya,

I hobbled to and around our local supermarkets where they treated me like a long lost friend. I loved it.

Who wouldn’t welcome you? Who wouldn’t miss you? You’re one of the most loving people that I know online. xo
    Tess The Bold Life recently posted…Do You Know Why We’re Afraid?My Profile

March 20, 2013 at 6:38 am

I am saving this comment in my heart, Tess! Hugs – My eyes are wet! Thank you!

Koyel
    March 19, 2013 at 5:04 am

lovely post. Yes, I do take digital vacations to read books. It is such a lovely feeling to discover a new book with a whole array of interesting characters and fresh ideas.

March 20, 2013 at 6:37 am

Hi Koyel! Welcome! Reading is one of my favorite mini-vacations! Yes, it is a lovely feeling to get absorbed within the story! 🙂

Koyel
        March 21, 2013 at 12:36 am

Hi Vidya, what are the types of book you read? do you have any favorite author list? well, we can have a post on this. I am intrigued to know what you love to read.

March 21, 2013 at 2:59 am

That’s a fab idea, Koyel! I worship the written word, I realize and of course I am partial to certain genres. I love humor (P.G.Wodehouse) Law/medical/crime fiction and psychological thrillers. But that said, I read just about anything. 🙂 How about you?
          Vidya Sury recently posted…The A to Z Challenge 2013 With @AprilA2ZMy Profile

• Koyel
            March 21, 2013 at 4:37 am

I am a great fan of Agatha Christie and have read almost all her books. Jeffrey Archer is another fav author of mine. Amongst Indian authors I like Sudha Murty. She is an exceptional personality and a sensitive writer. I read a lot of Bengali books too. 🙂

Terri Sonoda
    March 19, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Lovely pictures! I love how you manage to get the very most delight out of life’s simplest things. Beautiful!
    Terri Sonoda recently posted…My day off, I can ramble if I want toMy Profile

March 20, 2013 at 6:37 am

Hugs Terri! I just lazed off and once we decided to go out for lunch, the rest was quite elementary. 😀 That campus always freaks me out!

Cornel
    March 19, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Hi Vidya,

Lovely pictures. The yellow fruit looks amazing 🙂
    Cornel recently posted…How To Achieve Stretch GoalsMy Profile

March 20, 2013 at 6:36 am

Welcome, Cornel! Thank you! The beauty of the spiky jackfruit is what it hides inside – absolutely luscious fleshy honey-sweet fruit – often eaten with honey!:D Soon we’ll be seeing them all over the place.

Michelle Wallace
    March 19, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Vidya, you have a wonderful place here…
    Your pictures are lovely… so refreshing on the eye…
    Michelle Wallace recently posted…Top Ten Movie BlogfestMy Profile

March 20, 2013 at 6:24 am

Welcome, Michelle! 🙂 Thanks for your lovely words – I can safely say I reciprocate 😀 I had a delightful time over at your blog yesterday! I am excited about the A to Z Challenge in April!

BLOGitse
    March 20, 2013 at 6:41 am

A digital vacation…I have days off and every now and then longer vacations – it feels good to be free! 🙂
    I’m not that hooked on social media anymore. I need and want to have time to do things in real life.
    Your findings in nature are great – beautiful, inspiring, with fresh air and nice memories.
    BLOGitse recently posted…spring flower powerMy Profile

March 20, 2013 at 6:53 am

BLOGitse, I am enjoying seeing your lovely creations! 🙂 Yes, social media is a big time blackhole and I agree with you about better things to do!

🙂 Thanks for your kind words!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…One for my digital vacation journalMy Profile

Leovi
    March 20, 2013 at 7:09 am

Wonderful! I like this this exotic fruit! Beautiful photos!
    Leovi recently posted…Foto Abstracta 2624 Sentimientos de Celos – Jealous FeelingsMy Profile

Kally
    March 20, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Oh my, a digital vacation…what a great idea! I’m going to try this one out one day this week I think 🙂

Lovely photos! Loved the flowers in front of the abandoned house.

~ K
    Kally recently posted…Organising your home – BenefitsMy Profile

March 21, 2013 at 3:23 am

I’d love to know what you did, Kally! I am so happy you’re here!

Those flowers – you know we were just walking around when we came upon the house – the first thing we saw was a dusty car, some metal trash and then, suddenly I spotted this brilliant patch of flowers. Somehow it seemed very symbolic – I was in that mood! 🙂
      Vidya Sury recently posted…The A to Z Challenge 2013 With @AprilA2ZMy Profile

Kally
    March 22, 2013 at 4:31 am

HI Vidya! To be honest I kind of failed..I only managed to stay out of the digital world for 5 hours, then I was sucked back in.

I’m going to try again though and next time, I’m going to go for a long walk and take some photos and plan some interesting NON digital things for myself to do, so I don’t get sucked back in so easily!

It’s scary how tempting it is just to check everything ;D

~ K
    Kally recently posted…Organising your home – BenefitsMy Profile

March 22, 2013 at 6:08 am

5 hours is a great start, Kally! Just repeat it a couple of times and it slowly stretches! One thing that helped me was to shut down my computer – email is my pain point. 😀 Luckily, I don’t go online via my phone so that’s safe! Being close to a computer IS tempting 😀

Getting outside is the trick. Plus, great fodder for posts! 😀

Hugs!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…The A to Z Challenge 2013 With @AprilA2ZMy Profile

Unknown Mami
    March 30, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Yes, everything matters. I just created an empty kitchen sink right now and it is really a nice feeling.
    Unknown Mami recently posted…Easter Through the Eyes of my ChildrenMy Profile