#AtoZChallenge

Eleven Easy Ways to Elevate Energy Levels

Elevate your energy levels sunflowers

E is for Energy. And here are Eleven ways to Elevate Energy levels

It is Day 5 of the AtoZChallenge – I must confess my energy levels are flagging and could really do with a pep up. All the visiting, commenting, sharing, replying to comment is pure heaven, but tiring – only because I have a couple of other jobs to juggle and of course, managing the home. The weather is not helping either – super-warm, high humidity and long unscheduled power cuts. We had a couple of showers but that was like spraying water on a really hot griddle.

I am recharging myself and I share eleven easy ways to elevate energy levels so you can enthusiastically get on with enjoying what you do.

(Note that I left out things like exercise, getting adequate sleep, going on a digital vacation, etc. which you already know, and probably avoid!)

Eleven Easy Ways to Elevate Energy Levels

Breathe

Yes, essential for existence and easy to do. Take long deep breaths. Smile. Close your eyes. Inhale slowly through your nose. Exhale through your mouth. Repeat until you can feel your pulse rate steadying. If you have a meditation practice, that is wonderful. As you practice breathing, you get more oxygen, lowering your blood pressure, helping your tense muscles relax.

Benefits of Meditation

Now move it!

Rather than take the easy way out by grabbing another coffee (guilty!) why not get up and stretch? Take a minute to do this:

• Stand up
  • Stretch your arms over your head
  • Take a deep breath
  • Swing your arms from side to side
  • Walk up and down the staircase a couple of times

What does happen is, your blood circulation gets going, more oxygen comes into your brain and muscles. More oxygen = more energy. Do it once an hour.

Enjoy a snack break

Usually, energy levels flag around midmorning since the blood sugar levels begin to dip. Now’s the time to enjoy a snack. No, not that “I want one now piece of cake oozing with chocosauce” but something that gives you a nice mix of healthy carbohydrates and protein. The idea is to help your metabolism and keep you satisfied until the next meal time. Go for salads, a handful of nuts, a fruit…no more than 200 calories.

Salads for elevating energy levels

Go for H2O

Water, we already know is the cheapest energizer. Just imagine sipping a glass of water when you are tired. Doesn’t it feel as though you are literally pouring life back into you? Make sure you get those 8 glasses of water per day. Did you know that the slightest dehydration slows down our body? Truth. But what if you get bored with water? I’ve got you covered! Enhance the taste with a dash of lime or a splash of fruit juice, a tablespoon of fruit crush , some slices of cucumber….. and by the way, iced tea counts. Iced Lemon Tea is a favorite at our place.

water to elevate energy levels

Enjoy that view

If you have a job like mine, involving sitting for long stretches of time and racing towards deadlines, then stress is an integral part of your life. Healthy stress is good, but what about when it fatigues you?

elevate energy levels stress relief

Step up your energy levels quickly by looking at pleasant things. Maybe you have a gorgeous view from your window. Gaze at it. But maybe you don’t. Right now, when I look out my balcony, I can only see civil repair work. So I turn to my computer screen and look at photos or beautiful scenery. Add some music and you’re set. When you look at things that make you happy, you trigger the release of happy chemicals in your brain, strengthening your immune system, and this makes you feel better, more energetic.

A gift of life

Take a leisurely stroll

Pick a time of day that suits you best and take a slow stroll. Not one where you rush to cross the road or go through traffic – choose a rather quiet place. And pace. Maybe a park or a quiet residential area. Observe every little thing around you. I swear this feels good. Carry your camera if you like. I do, always. You’ll be glad you did. Enjoy the relaxation this little walk brings. You’ll want to make it a habit.

Get a head massage

Warm some oil. Apply it to your hair. Then massage your scalp with it. This is one of the best known ways to energize yourself. Massage stimulates the scalp. Brushing your hair works, too. It is that repetitive movement that does it. See the tension leave you.

Eat for energy

This means carbohydrates. Good carbs (complex carbs) are essential to fuel our body. Choose whole grain bread, high fiber cereal and beans. Go multicolor with fruits and vegetables. This will stabilize your blood sugar levels while giving you nutrition and energy.

Eating to elevate energy levels

Thanks to Success.com

Laugh a lot

I completely endorse. I love cartoons and jokes and getting a good laugh. Laughing boosts your mood and energy, while easing your tension. When you laugh, your metabolic rate also gets a boost and you feel good. So call your friend, share a joke or just watch that silly show on TV. Laugh your head off. Feel wonderful instantly.

Laughter to elevate energy levels

Check your posture

Like me, if you have to sit for hours sometimes, make sure you maintain positive posture. Don’t slump over your chair, even if you feel like. Sit straight. Allow your chest to open up and get that oxygen into our muscles and brain. Good posture also helps you feel good about yourself.

Read an affirmation

Affirmations can be very motivating. I love them. Read what inspires you. Sometimes a single line can make a huge difference.

And finally, “your day will go the way the corners of your mouth are turned“. So SMILE.

Readers’ tips

Chandra Senan offers the following tip and I am trying it!

“An additional rejuvenator and energiser is a good night’s sleep – I know you deliberately left this out but feel it’s a major component of the energy equation. Have a couple of slices of bread, bananas and milk before bed. Bananas have melatonin, serotonin and magnesium; milk has tryptophan and calcium, the latter enabling the brain to utilise the tryptophan – the amino acid which the body uses to make serotonin, the neurotransmitter that calms the brain; bread with its carbs has got a high glycemic index. This trio of foods will send you to the land of Nod and you will awake, fully energised.”

Question for you:

Which of these tips did you like the most?
Would you like to add to the list?

Share your tip in the comments and I’ll add it to the post as your contribution.

Today, I recommend:

Roshni aA Mom’s delightful E for Ewwww  – get your dose of laughter right here!

Priya Sreeram’s E for Era Extraordinary – Doordarshan –  great nostalgia trip!

And while you are there, don’t miss Priya’s food blog Bon Appetit

Energy #AtoZChallenge

Suzy
    April 5, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Great tips Vidya – Meditation and laughing – my favourites to lift my energy level.
    Suzy recently posted…UBC 5 – AtoZ – EclipseMy Profile

afshan
    April 5, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Loved this line Vidya – Your day goes the way ur mouth corner is turned – SMILE
    This post is really energizing
    I go to gym and all but some times its exhaustive
    FOOD AND Water tips are good !
    afshan recently posted…“E” for “Eid/ Eid-ul-fitr”My Profile

Shilpa Garg
    April 5, 2013 at 3:05 pm

I must try all these now!! Feeling so drained right now! I can start with food and water, stand up and posture and of course breathe… 😀
    Shilpa Garg recently posted…E is for… EmotionsMy Profile

Pallavi Purani
    April 5, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Strolls and affirmations shall stay with me from this post 🙂 Lovely compilation.

sridevi
    April 5, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Such lovely tips … I could with the whole lot of them 🙂 Your posts do indeed generate many positive vibes 🙂
    sridevi recently posted…E for EternityMy Profile

Diana Pinto
    April 5, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Those were really helpful tips Vidya.I’ll try some of them.I love head massages and laughing too 😀

April 7, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Laughter is the best medicine, no? Thank you Diana! Yes, that head massage does a lot more than relax you!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Happiness Is EverywhereMy Profile

Shail
    April 5, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Some of these tips are going to come real handy for me. I am really incapacitated by the mid-morning dip in energy levels. Thank you so much for this post Vidya. It is timely for me 🙂
    Shail recently posted…Sky-watch 40My Profile

Priya Sreeram
    April 5, 2013 at 7:06 pm

thumbs up vidya 🙂 i sure needed to read this- more water & less coffee (duh) is gonna be my mantra. BTW thank u so much for liking & linking my post. A hugeeeeeeeeeeee bear hug 🙂
    Priya Sreeram recently posted…Fondant Easter Eggs in Chocolate NestsMy Profile

Glynis Jolly
    April 5, 2013 at 7:09 pm

When I read your tip about drinking water, a light went on. There are times when I get so busy that I neglect to keep my body hydrated. After drinking a tall glass of water, my energy does lift.

April 7, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I used to be like that, Glynis. Then I made it a point to fill three bottles of water and ensured I finished them off by the end of the day. Did you know we sometimes mistake thirst for hunger? Hugs!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Batu Caves MalaysiaMy Profile

Glynis Jolly
        April 7, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I think one of the big reasons (but not the only big one) so people these days have become overweight is because they mistake thirst for hunger.

Jodi @ Heal Now
    April 5, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Love the creative title of this post using E! Great tips Vidya! And your kindheartedness shows through!
    Jodi recently posted…Everything Belongs, Everyone BelongsMy Profile

janu
    April 5, 2013 at 10:35 pm

You made this fun with the pictures…thanks for the tips.

Sandi Amorim
    April 5, 2013 at 10:43 pm

“Laugh a lot” is my favourite go-to way, and “Move it” is the most challenging! When I’m doing work I love I can sit at my desk for hours and forget that my body needs to move. Gotta work on that one!
    Sandi Amorim recently posted…5 Truths for Moving ForwardMy Profile

April 7, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Even though I use a computer to do my work, I can never sit for more than an hour, Sandi! laughter is guaranteed at home and with friends. I am more conscious about hydrating and eating healthy these days.

Hugs!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Angels Watching Over Me My Profile

Corinne Rodrigues
    April 5, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Great tips here. It’s surprising how we can sometimes forget to hydrate ourselves or just allow ourselves a short break!
    Corinne Rodrigues recently posted…Elephant GirlMy Profile

April 7, 2013 at 5:11 pm

🙂 I am going through that particular challenge right now – trying to catch up and stay up to date with everything, Corinne! Breathe is my current go-to energizer!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Batu Caves MalaysiaMy Profile

Debbie
    April 5, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Laughter is mine Vidya. there is nothing better and a good laugh. When my youngs daughter was the only one still hhome her and I would take time every evening and laugh. somtimes there really wasn’t anything to laugh about, but we would just start laughing and that would make us laugh more. Loved it.
    We all need to find ways to increase that engergy level when it starts to fall. Great tips for doing just that, Vidya.
    Debbie
    Debbie recently posted…How To Ask For Help (Even If It Scares The Crap Out Of You!)My Profile

April 7, 2013 at 5:13 pm

I am enjoying seeing that “laughter” is a popular choice,Debbie! We do that too – just start laughing and it builds up! Thank you, Debbie!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Batu Caves MalaysiaMy Profile

Nandana
    April 5, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Nice and do-able endorsements. Personally I like Laugh a lot and Take a stroll
    I don’t have anything to add .
    Nandana recently posted…End of great reviews, end of a star in his own right – E for Ebert, Roger EbertMy Profile

Kola
    April 5, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Lol I love that picture with the Zebra unraveling. great post, Vidya

Roshni
    April 6, 2013 at 12:30 am

Thank you so much for the recommendation, Vidya! You are just too good!
    Roshni recently posted…Blogging from A to Z April Challenge: E is for….My Profile

Chandra Senan
    April 6, 2013 at 2:27 am

Pretty good advice, Vidya, as per usual but in your first tip (breathe) why does exhaling through the mouth help steady the pulse rate?

Thank you Vidya for that excellent review of my sister Shobha’s book yesterday. My appreciation also to all of you who responded so positively to it.

Chandra Senan

April 7, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Hi Chandra! I meant the process of rhythmic breathing to help steady pulse rate! 🙂

I love your tip and I am going to start doing it. By the way, come to think of it, that was my dinner for several years and …no wonder I stayed healthy and happy! 🙂 Thank you very much for your input! I am adding it to the post.

Shobha’s book was a pleasure to review and I am glad for the privilege to have presented it to so many people!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Batu Caves MalaysiaMy Profile

Rhonda @Laugh Quotes
    April 6, 2013 at 11:38 am

Great tips. Laugh a lot would be my strength from your list followed immediately by my weakest link – posture. Thanks for the reminder, I feel my energy increasing already.

Glad I have met you on AtoZ
    Rhonda @Laugh-Quotes.com
    AtoZ #42
    Rhonda recently posted…Follow Your Dreams and Find Your Own Style of Fun (AtoZ Travel Tips)My Profile

April 7, 2013 at 5:21 pm

I am glad we met too, Rhonda! Posture has a way of determining how you feel. I’ve found that consciously sitting straight after being slumped for a while makes a big difference!

Thank you for visiting!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Batu Caves MalaysiaMy Profile

Amanda Saint
    April 6, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Hello Vidya, stopping by from the A-Z challenge and very happy to have found your blog through it. I laugh everyday but definitely don’t have enough head massages – I will rectify that :O)
    Amanda Saint recently posted…F is for FloodMy Profile

April 7, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Amanda, head massages are heavenly!

Thank you for visiting! Heading over to your place now!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Batu Caves MalaysiaMy Profile

Sulekha
    April 6, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Lovely list, I go for pedicures as they help me relax.Loved the pictures.

April 7, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Pedicures must be relaxing – based on the principle that most of our nerve endings are on the soles of our feet. Personally I enjoy my feet tickled! 😀 Thanks for visiting, Sulekha!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Batu Caves MalaysiaMy Profile

Betsy/Zen Mama
    April 7, 2013 at 2:54 am

Wonderful Vidya! Your eleven ideas are great tips and I do try to follow them daily.
    PS You are amazing the way you are writing everyday!
    Betsy/Zen Mama recently posted…Letting Go of Judgment and Red TomatoesMy Profile

Kaarina Dillabough
    April 7, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Excellent, energizing elevating post my friend:) Ahhhhh…the Alphabet. Something we need to chat about when we get together. I’m sorely behind even thinking about the Alphabet Series book, and could use your inspiration and help my friend:)
    Kaarina Dillabough recently posted…Give Employees What They Want. And No…It’s Not (just) MoneyMy Profile

April 7, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Kaarina, Every day I think of your Alphabet series. What fun it was! We must talk about it! I can think of no greater privilege than collaborating with you – you are on my admiration list! Hugs!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Batu Caves MalaysiaMy Profile

Shawn
    April 8, 2013 at 11:17 pm

I have found that using affirmations is great! When I really want to make myself feel better and get some energy, I stand in front of the mirror and give myself compliments and affirmations while I look at myself in the eyes. Then I finish by saying I love you and never lose eye contact. It is kind of uncomfortable to do at first, but it makes you feel so awesome after doing it for a while!
    Thanks for the other tips.

Kris
    April 14, 2013 at 9:06 am

Love the eat for energy suggestions, especially fruits & veggies. My adds would be
    1. Rest when tired.
    2. Reduce or Eliminate toxic burdens of nicotine, alcohol, and other chemicals that aren’t good for you.
    So glad to have found your blog!
    Kris recently posted…Mantras for Happiness, Confidence, and Self-LoveMy Profile