Day 20 of the #AtoZChallenge has us at letter T and I’ve picked a staple spice from my kitchen shelf – Turmeric. I thought I would list Turmeric health benefits and it turned out to be pretty long. I am sticking with just the top twenty. Turmeric also has an auspicious place in Indian culture as it is equal to gold. But more about that in another post.
Turmeric is considered one of nature’s most powerful healers. The medicinal properties of this spice have been known for centuries. The active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin. Turmeric is an effective anti-inflammatory and treats many health conditions from cancer to Alzheimer’s disease. In India, turmeric has been used for over three thousand years both as a dye and in diet. Here is my list for the….
….Top Twenty Turmeric Health Benefits
Here are 20 reasons to use turmeric to your diet:
1. Turmeric has natural antiseptic and antibacterial properties and disinfects cuts and burns
2. A combination of turmeric and cauliflower can prevent and control prostate cancer
3. Prevents spreading of breast cancer to the lungs.
4. May prevent melanoma and cause existing melanoma cells to self-destruct
5. Reduces the risk of childhood leukemia.
6. Detoxifies the liver naturally
7. Likely to prevent and slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease
8. Prevents metastases from occurring in many types of cancer.
9. Effective natural anti-inflammatory without side effects
10. Could slow down progression of multiple sclerosis
11. Is a natural painkiller and cox-2 inhibitor.
12. Helps fat metabolism and help in weight management.
13. Treats depression.
14. Natural treatment for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
15. Boosts the effects of chemo drug paclitaxel and reduces its side effects.
16. Treats pancreatic cancer.
17. Has positive effects on multiple myeloma.
18. Can stop the growth of new blood vessels in tumors.
19. Heals wounds and corrects damaged skin.
20. Can treat psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.
You can use turmeric in powder or pill form. In South India, almost all savory dishes use a pinch of turmeric in the seasoning.
Note: If you are pregnant or have gallstones or bile obstruction, consult your doctor before using turmeric.
As I grew up, turmeric was also a part of our regular “beauty” regimen. Mix half spoon turmeric, half spoon green gram powder, half spoon curd and a little milk cream. Make a paste. Apply on face. Leave on for 15 minutes. Then wash it off. Soon, your skin will glow.
So that’s 20 turmeric health benefits!
Do you use turmeric regularly in your diet?
Do you have a tip to add to the above list?
Today, I recommend
Joy V Smith’s blog
Patience, Persistence and Perspiration