#AtoZChallenge

X is for Xenodochial

rocksteadystonewear dot com

Just three days left to the #AtoZChallenge – and we are on Day 24! I am definitely going to miss this when we wrap it up.  Sigh.

It is X for Xenodochial and I was introduced to this word by my very dear friend Kaarina Dillabough when she had the business Alphabet series on her blog last year. What a fabulous collaborative experience that was! Hers is one of the most xenodochial blogs I know!

xenodochial is defined as “Given to receiving strangers; hospitable”

xenodochium is “A house of reception for strangers and pilgrims; a hotel, guest-house, especially in a monastery.”

xenodochy is the “Entertainment of strangers; hospitality.”

Do you find my  blog xenodochial?

vidya sury xenodochial

Thanks notbuyinganything.blogspot.com

I am pleased to be your xenagogue – do make yourself comfortable as we browse a few X words!

xenoepist is “Someone who speaks with a foreign accent.”

whereas

xenodochiophobia is “An irrational fear of foreign hotels that may include a fear that there won’t be soap, proper toilet paper, clean towels, etc.”

Interesting eh?

xenoglossia  is the alleged power of a person to communicate with others in a language which he/she has never learned in psychic research. It is the knowledge of a language which supposedly has never been studied by certain people.

xenoglossy is a paranormal phenomenon in which a person is able to speak a language that he or she could not have acquired by natural means. An example would be a someone who speaks French fluently and like a native, but who has never studied French, never been to a French-speaking country, nor associated with French-speakers; would be considered to be an example of xenoglossy.

xenomania is an insane fancy for or obsessive interest in foreigners or for things foreign.

xenonosocomiophobia is a fear of foreign pickpocket specialists which should not be considered an abnormal anxiety.

Really!

(ref: http://wordinfo.info/

Oh, anyone remember Xena the warrior princess?

And Xanadu, Mandrake the Magician’s abode?

Xanadu

Wikipedia image

X is also for Xylophone and this brings back many noisy memories from my son’s childhood. The happiness continues whenever we have friends visiting with kids.  I find it delightful to see kids freaking out over creating noise. LOUD noise. Yes. Nothing compares to shaking up the energy in a space with children’s laughter and their “activities”

Xylophone Xenodochial

And finally, it is X for xoxo

Enjoy your weekend!

#AtoZChallenge Xenodochial

Today, I recommend

Blogging from A to Z April Challenge – check out this post about the A to Z Reflections linky

Jer’s blog: Ordinary Never Sleeps

A special thanks to Roshni for mentioning my blog in her W post!

And since it is Saturday, here is a list of posts from this week:

Spring Cleaning Spells Freedom

Top Twenty Turmeric health benefits

Universe Unfolds

Vitamins for Vegetarians

Writers

Xenodochial – you are here now.

Feel free to browse around!

vidya sury welcome

Carole Remy
    April 27, 2013 at 8:17 am

Thanks for the words, Vidya! I love words and didn’t know any of these. Woohoo! You are a wonder!

Are you feeling 100% again? I hope so. Hug,

Carole
    Carole Remy recently posted…Twelve Nights Optioned as Independent Romantic Comedy Feature Film! #TBSUMy Profile

Priya Sreeram
    April 27, 2013 at 10:05 am

vidya- hugs, my vocab has got a refreshing addition of x words thanks to your post
    Priya Sreeram recently posted…XL – L – MMy Profile

janu
    April 27, 2013 at 10:08 am

XOXOXO …loved this.

Corinne Rodrigues
    April 27, 2013 at 10:11 am

Ah! A nice list you’ve got here.
    Corinne Rodrigues recently posted…Xacuti and Other Goan FoodMy Profile

blogwatig
    April 27, 2013 at 10:15 am

Oh dear Lord, Vidya. I am amazed with an X! This is one fab post.
    blogwatig recently posted…X xeroxes XacutiMy Profile

Roshni
    April 27, 2013 at 10:33 am

wow! So many cool words, Vidya!
    Roshni recently posted…Blogging from A to Z April Challenge: X is for ….My Profile

Joy V. Smith
    April 27, 2013 at 11:33 am

Wow! Great collection of X words! And thanks for Mandrake the Magician. That was fun too. (I took the easy way out, but it worked for my theme.)
    Joy V. Smith recently posted…Dr. Who Character Encyclopedia and spoilerMy Profile

Shilpa Garg
    April 27, 2013 at 11:33 am

Thanks for this informative post! XOXO 😀
    Shilpa Garg recently posted…X is for… X-Mas GiftsMy Profile

Suzy
    April 27, 2013 at 11:59 am

I enjoyed Xena – more so because she’s a New Zealander. xoxo to you to Vidya.
    Suzy recently posted…UBC 27 – AtoZ – IX X XIMy Profile

Sheethal
    April 27, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Aaah… so much of new words. Thanks for this 🙂

Kajal Kapur
    April 27, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Quite a busy post there…so many ‘X’ words…seemingly all new to me 🙂 Thanks
    Kajal Kapur recently posted…X-menMy Profile

Rhonda @Laugh-Quotes
    April 27, 2013 at 3:53 pm

What an interesting collection of X words.

Rhonda @Laugh Quotes
    Rhonda recently posted…Xebec No More – Travel Tips to Cruise the Mediterranean (#AtoZ Travel Tips)My Profile

Cynthia Rodrigues Manchekar
    April 27, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Ah! Xenodochial. This is my word for today too. Lovely post. What a pleasant world this would be if this attitude were to become more common.
    Cynthia Rodrigues Manchekar recently posted…X is for . . . XenodochialMy Profile

Kaarina Dillabough
    April 27, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Xtraordinary my friend:) And thanks for that lovely tip of the hat. Savouring thoughts of our xtra special xtraordinary time together. Cheers! Kaarina
    Kaarina Dillabough recently posted…The Funky Friendships of Social MediaMy Profile

Shail
    April 27, 2013 at 7:51 pm

I loved all the new words I have come across here today! And of course Xanadu! Thanks for reminding me of it! Btw, yours is indeed a xenodochial blog page 🙂
    Shail recently posted…Foto Friday 49: RequestMy Profile

Anyta
    April 27, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Really interesting post.
    I now have the word to describe a particular phobia haha!

sharmila
    April 27, 2013 at 8:56 pm

This is fantastic!! While we struggled with our Xs ,you came with a whole lot of them here.Vocabulary boost has happened.
    sharmila recently posted…X—XanthodontousMy Profile

Marjorie McAtee
    April 27, 2013 at 9:15 pm

That sure is a lot of X words! People will be referring to this post for years to come! 🙂
    Marjorie McAtee recently posted…X is for XenophobiaMy Profile

Rhonda Erb
    April 27, 2013 at 9:51 pm

I don’t know you, but in visiting your blog I think it’s safe to say that it’s not only a “Xenodochial” place, but I suspect your in-real-life home is as well. You seem like someone I could reach through the blogosphere and get a big hug from!
    Rhonda Erb recently posted…VogueMy Profile

April 29, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Indeed Rhonda. Here is a huge hug (arms wide open…and heart too!) Hugs and love to you. I appreciate your support through this fantastic month. I hope we meet some day! (nothing is impossible)

Meena Menon
    April 28, 2013 at 3:36 pm

:-O I dono half the words!
    Meena Menon recently posted…Xie Xie Xiang!My Profile

Sandy Campbell
    April 28, 2013 at 6:08 pm

What a cool post!! Loved it, and look at all the new words I learned today!!

Jer
    April 28, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Vidya, I love learning new things, and this post of yours certainly did the job. I never knew there were so many words with the root “xeno” (I pretty much only knew of xenophobia). Perhaps I’ll have the fortune to travel abroad someday so I can find out for myself it I suffer from xenodochiophobia or xenonosocomiophobia. I don’t have xenomania, but I’d say I have a good bit of xenophilia. Thank you so much for recommending my blog, too, very generous of you. Have a great day.

Nandana
    April 28, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Nice compilation Vidya. Xenoglossy is spooky though!
    Nandana recently posted…eXhausted -eXcuse pleaseMy Profile

Sam
    April 29, 2013 at 5:00 am

Well I, for one, will be following your xenagogue beyond the end of the challenge! I would love to have a case of xenoglossy – that would be awesome!
    xoxo
    Sam

Sandra Pawula
    May 4, 2013 at 11:21 am

Yes, I absolutely find your blog “xenodochial”. It seems like “xeno” is all about things foreign and strange. Except XOXO!
    Sandra Pawula recently posted…Walking the Labyrinth to Your True SelfMy Profile

Xeroxing Smiles - Vidya Sury
    April 28, 2014 at 11:59 am

[…] X, last year I wrote about Xenodochial and today I had planned to talk about Xanthippe, the shrewish nagging ill-tempered wife of […]