#AtoZChallenge

#AtoZChallenge 2013 Reflections

#AtoZChallenge Vidya Sury

I begin my #AtoZChallenge 2013 post with gratitude to

• Friends who encouraged me constantly
  • Friends who emailed me regularly to motivate
  • Everyone who visited my blog throughout April and commented
  • My A2Zeders Facebook group that shared my post within the group, each day I was away (From April 13 to 30)
  • Vidur Sury, who guest posted for the letter F, when I was unwell and also replied to comments
  • Joy Holland of Facets of Joy who graced my blog with the letter J
  • Arlee Bird for conceiving this amazing idea
  • Damyanti for inviting me to participate and who assured me I could do it even when I was away
  • The A to Z Challenge Blog, for its constant inspiration, tips and tricks and lovely banners and badges
  • My social media groups who amplified my posts
  • Vanita Cyril who dealt with glitches without waiting for me to ask

Takeaways from the April AtoZChallenge 2013

Community

I enjoy blogging and as some of you know, started in 2003. Initially I wasn’t so serious but over the last 5-6 years, I’ve become more focused  and have had the privilege of connecting with some fantastic bloggers.  Community and interaction is everything in blogging, besides the opportunity to keep one’s creative juices flowing, and being exposed to new perspectives. The AtoZChallenge 2013 was no different.

Connections

I have had the pleasure of connecting with some amazing blogs during April – blogs I look forward to keeping in touch with.  And during my travel, I had the privilege of meeting Kaarina Dillabough, a wonderful blogger friend I’ve known for over two years now. Blogging forms long-lasting cherished relationships.

Commitment

I was a little apprehensive about keeping up during the second half of April, since I was traveling. I did manage to set up auto-sharing for all the blogs in our A2Zeders group. I also ensured I recommended at least two blogs in every post. While I couldn’t participate in the daily discussions, I enjoyed seeing the brainstorming of ideas on the forum.

Encouragement

I am deeply indebted to my family and friends for literally sitting on my head, no matter how late it was, to ensure my posts were up in time.  I wrote most of the posts from April 14 to 30 during my vacation.  I was committed, but the motivation came from my blog visitors and those who shared across social media. I checked email once a day and was touched to see the encouraging comments. The power of community and a supportive family.

Creativity

My notebook is brimming with all the ideas I thought of – I had the good sense to jot them down. Not that I am ever at a loss for words, but it does help to maintain an idea list. I am smiling, thinking of how the alphabet has now become a game. Everything is attributed to an alphabet now, with both friends and family!

New Perspectives

It was fun to participate in the AtoZChallenge 2013 – and I was thrilled to see different takes on the same topics.  If you believe that travel broadens the mind, you’ve got to believe that blog-hopping also broadens the mind, and heart.

Explore new styles

The experts say that  blogging frequently boosts the blog, and I can vouch for it – having participated in a similar blog-hop last year in February 2012 – in the Haiku Challenge – that was 29 days of a haiku a day based on a daily prompt.  Great learning experience.

Idea Overflow

While am usually pretty decent at time-management and also follow an editorial calendar (well, sort of), the AtoZChallenge 2013 really got my adrenalin going as I explored various themes. The original idea was to compile all the posts into an ebook after Z. But as usual,  I ended up writing on the fly. Can you believe I actually wrote some posts by long-hand in my notebook before typing them out? Truth. Next year, I’ll make sure I am better prepared.

Thanks to the A to Z Challenge, our A2Zeders group on Facebook continues to thrive with new blog hops.

To summarize:

• The best encouragement for bloggers and writers comes from Community and collaboration
  • This challenge has helped me build an idea bank for posts
  • I believe April has helped me become a better writer.
  • I also have a better understanding of my blogging platform, WordPress.
  • I believe I have grown.
  • Everything is possible!

Yup – the A to Z Challenge was a grand experience. I feel the love.

Vidya Sury #AtoZChallenge 2013

Would I do it again?

Definitely, yes. I am missing it already ♥ and am looking forward to 2014. Why, I believe I have an idea bank to pick and choose from!

If you are here for the first time, here is a round up of all my posts from A to Z – please feel welcome to browse.

A for Angels watching over me

B for Bhagavad Gita

C for Coffee Quotes, Notes and Memories

D for Dialogues From Within

E for Eleven Easy Ways to Elevate Energy Levels

F for Folktales From Around The World

G for Going Green

H for Happy Place

I for If by Rudyard Kipling

J for Joy is here

K for Karma Theory

L for Love is all around

M for Mother of Mine

V for Vitamins for Vegetarians

W for Writers

X is for Xenodochial

Y for Yakshagana Performances – A folk art

Z for Zoo Zen

Special Mention and Thanks to Rhonda at Laugh-Quotes.com

who supported me throughout this challenge

– read her lovely Poetic Reflections of AtoZ

Congratulations to all the “survivors” and looking forward to next year in anticipation!

#AtoZChallenge 2013

Harleena Singh
    May 9, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Hi Vidya,

Congratulations for surviving it well through 🙂

And aren’t we all proud of all your great achievements, and all others too who participated, though I know just of Corinne who was in it too.

I’ve been reading and commenting on most of your posts, and to be travelling and writing them alongside – that in itself is another challenge!

I sure am glad it’s over and all of you can have a little break before taking up another one! I know all of you have that spirit in you.

Thanks for sharing, and wishing you all the best. Have a nice and relaxed week ahead 🙂
    Harleena Singh recently posted…Why Is a Mother Child Bond So SpecialMy Profile

May 9, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Thank you so much for your wonderful support, Harleena! It has been a great month in many ways for me and I very much appreciate you visiting and commenting – so encouraging. I love the togetherness we enjoyed as participants, motivating each other and emerging successful! Most of all, it is the wonderful connections made.

Hugs and thanks! 🙂

Shilpa Garg
    May 9, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Well said, Vidya! This A to Z Challenge has opened a world of new things for us… new thoughts, new friends, new styles, new learnings… it has also been a fun filled journey. Truly enjoyed this journey with our group. And yes, waiting for next year to re-visit this journey again.
    Thanks for the mention. 🙂
    Shilpa Garg recently posted…May Day A Photo : Day 9 : A SnackMy Profile

May 9, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Beautifully said, Shilpa. Your reflections post had me wet-eyed! Hugs and happy to know you! Looking forward to continue the happy journey!

Diana Pinto
    May 9, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Congratulations Vidya for completing the challenge. I’m honoured to see my name in the list :).It was great connecting with you and enjoyed reading your posts which were so informative. All the best for next year 🙂

May 9, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Feels great, doesn’t it, Diana? Thanks for your kind words!

Suzy
    May 9, 2013 at 3:44 pm

It was great fun Vidya. Thanks for visiting my posts and for tweeting them. And thanks for the mention.
    Suzy recently posted…100 Words – Quiet ConversationsMy Profile

May 9, 2013 at 8:11 pm

I’ve enjoyed your blog tremendously, Suzy! Glad we connected!

Corinne Rodrigues
    May 9, 2013 at 7:17 pm

A really nice round up, Vidya. I do appreciate the effort you put into setting up the sharing for every blog in the group. Getting your posts out on time must have been a great effort when you’re in a different time zone.
    Your ideas and contribution to the A2Zeders made a big difference! Here’s to next year’s challenge.
    Corinne Rodrigues recently posted…Regrets?My Profile

May 9, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Thank you, Corinne! It has been a wonderful experience – and a very encouraging one! Special thanks to you! Here’s to next year’s challenge, indeed! Yes, there were days when I almost didn’t – but did! 🙂

Carolyn Hughes
    May 9, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Have loved reading through your A-Z posts Vidya. Congratulations on making each and every one of them as bright and interesting as you are 🙂
    Carolyn Hughes recently posted…Treasures of your heart.My Profile

May 9, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Thanks for your lovely words, Carolyn! Hugs!

Shannon
    May 9, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Beautiful!

Shannon at I Survived and Now I Run
    Shannon recently posted…It’s A Happy DayMy Profile

Carole Remy
    May 9, 2013 at 10:55 pm

I’ve popped in and out of your alphabet posts, Vidya, and enjoyed every one I’ve read. Thank you! I’m in awe that you managed to write so many of these posts while traveling!

Hug,

Carole
    Carole Remy recently posted…Guidelines for Writers’ Critique Groups #TBSUMy Profile

Debbie
    May 10, 2013 at 12:43 am

Wow you did it Vidya. So proud of you. Sorry i have hit and missed on the post. Last week i was out of town with hubby taking care of things for his 90 year old mother. it is nice to be back and reading your words.
    It totally amazes me the wisdom of the ladies I have met on the internet and you Vidya are one of them.

You are good and my hat goes off to you
    Hugs,
    Debbie recently posted…Warning: Grandma Back Off the Rules Have Changed for Grand Kids!My Profile

Cathy Taughinbaugh
    May 10, 2013 at 12:59 am

That is wonderful, Vidya that you finished the #AtoZChallenge. It is truly amazing and you are an inspiration to all of us that write online. I agree, the more you blog, the better you are and you are certainly the shining example. Loved your ideas and I am amazed that you wrote your posts while on your vacation. Looking forward to reading more next year.
    Cathy Taughinbaugh recently posted…Feeling the Squeeze of the Sandwich Generation on Mother’s DayMy Profile

Kaarina Dillabough
    May 10, 2013 at 2:00 am

You are so smart to have posted links above to each letter of the alphabet. Now why didn’t I think of that?! Still treasuring happy memories that fill my heart with smiles:) Planning a blog post soon, with photos. And thanks for that lovely tip of the hat. Cheers! Kaarina
    Kaarina Dillabough recently posted…Why Oh Why Didn’t I Save That?My Profile

Sandra Pawula
    May 10, 2013 at 4:00 am

Vidya,

I’m impressed and I love all your positive perspective about the process. I always wonder what it’s like for the readers. The sense I have from my readers is that daily posts would overwhelm them. But that doesn’t seem to be your experience. So I’m curious!
    Sandra Pawula recently posted…Are Your Fighting or Flowing?My Profile

Elle
    May 10, 2013 at 6:22 am

You know how much I admire your writing, your commitment and your dedication Vidya. You are an amazing being, and your happy spirit permeates all your writings. Love it, Love you.

Elle
    xoxo
    Elle recently posted…Does Your Life Seem To Be Mostly About Solving Problems?My Profile

sridevi
    May 10, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Vidya , inspite of your various commitments , you inspired and encouraged everyone to take part , not letting anyone getting bogged down or lose their spirit ….tweeting everyone’s posts and setting up auto share for everyone’s blogs . I will always cherish this connection and bond . Hugs to you 🙂
    sridevi recently posted…The 3:00 AM PostMy Profile

Trisha
    May 10, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Congrats on your A-Z achievement this year!! 🙂

Kajal Kapur
    May 11, 2013 at 1:07 am

A great ode. The challenge was the most exciting thing for me as I started blogging with it and I just can’t help but rave about it too… 🙂

Glad we crossed paths because I feel there is so much that i can learn from your blogs.

Thanks for the mention and the link to my blog! Love <3
    Kajal Kapur recently posted…Day 11 – SmileMy Profile

May 11, 2013 at 6:32 pm

That’s so wonderful Kajal! So great to be connected with you through this! Thanks!

Eve
    May 11, 2013 at 11:01 am

Congratulations Vidya on your achievements. It was very inspiring to read.

Betsy/Zen Mama
    May 11, 2013 at 7:58 pm

You’re amazing Vidya! I don’t know how you did it!! And took a trip, too!!
    xoxo
    Betsy
    Betsy/Zen Mama recently posted…A Beautiful Poem and Inspirational Quotes For Mother’s DayMy Profile

suzanne
    May 12, 2013 at 4:17 am

Hi Vidya, found you through the reflections list, your A-Z list looks really interesting 🙂 Congratulations on completing xSuzanne @ Suzannes Tribe

Rhonda @Laugh-Quotes
    May 12, 2013 at 5:55 am

It was a pleasure following you in the AtoZ. Your posts were interesting, educational and encouraging. My favorite one was the energy level post.
    Rhonda recently posted…School Moms Are Heroes! (I Thought Homeschooling Kept Me Busy)My Profile

May 13, 2013 at 11:21 am

Rhonda, I appreciate your wonderful support. thank you for the lovely comment! I’ve enjoyed your blog too through this challenge and the fun travel tips you offered. I especially loved your Reflections post – just added the link to my recommendations list 😀 Hugs to you!

Sebastian Aiden Daniels
    May 13, 2013 at 9:34 am

Congratulations on doing it. That is truly an amazing experience. I am glad it helped you grow and that you enjoyed it. Forming relationships with others is always nice. : D

May 13, 2013 at 9:57 am

Thank you, Sebastian. It has been a wonderful experience! Glad you came by! I just went over to your blog before replying. Loved your latest post and looking forward to reading more!

Rhonda @Laugh Quotes
      May 14, 2013 at 2:43 am

I am honored to be added to your list. Thanks for making my day 🙂
      Rhonda recently posted…Cover Reveal: Pop Travel By Tara TylerMy Profile

Naina
    May 13, 2013 at 11:26 am

Awesome sum-up Vidya! Loved revisiting those days! It was indeed nice connecting with you 🙂
    Naina recently posted…May Photo A Day : Day 12 : MotherMy Profile

Joy
    May 14, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Vidya,

That you completed this project, even while on vacation, is such an inspiration. Yes, everything truly is possible, and you continue to reflect that (and I continue to absorb that!). I love that you know you will do this next year–which must mean the stretch was enjoyable! Thank you for being you, all that you share enlivens and enriches!
    Joy recently posted…Mother’s Day is a Celebration of BirthMy Profile

Julia
    July 19, 2013 at 2:46 am

I know the A to Z reflections were months ago, but I am finally getting around to looking at a few I had not seen before. I like how you summarized all of your A to Z entries in this post, so we could go back and look.

July 19, 2013 at 8:47 am

Hi Julia! Welcome! Thank you for your lovely comment! It was an exciting experience. 🙂

Oxygen - Vidya Sury
    June 16, 2014 at 11:43 pm

[…] his sister’s book  of poetry “Dialogues from Within“, last year during the A to  Z Challenge. We have built a pleasant friendship and I feel privileged to know […]