I believe that laughter is the best medicine. There’s 100% truth in this. Lots of laughter is therapeutic, keeps you healthy and kills stress. Did you know that six-year-olds laugh at least 300 times a day while adults only laugh 15 to 100 times a day? No prizes for guessing why they always seem happy! Well, most of the time anyway!
Did you know that May 5 is World Laughter Day – to promote World Peace? This is celebrated on the first Sunday in May every year.
Lets dig deeper into why laughter is the best medicine
- Laughter lowers levels of stress hormones and makes your immune system stronger.
- A good belly laugh boosts your body’s ability to fight infections and protects you from disease.
- One minute of hearty laughter equals ten minutes on a rowing machine. WedMD
- When we laugh, our facial muscles stretch. Our pulse rate increases, making us breathe faster, sending an oxygen rush through our body.
- Laughter can balance blood sugar levels.
- Laughter helps you sleep better
- The endorphins (feel-good hormones) released after you laugh your head off can also reduce pain.
- Laughter is the best medicine for your heart. If you are anxious about something, laugh to increase your blood flow and guard your heart.
- Enjoy better relationships and communication by sharing laughter with your partner. Laughter dissolves differences most of the time and helps you bond better and stay connected. Find it hard to laugh? Just tickle each other!
- Guess what? Laughter burns calories and increases energy, helping you recharge.
- Laughter relaxes your muscles.
- Laughter is infectious and increases your happiness if you are lucky enough to catch it.
You can laugh for no reason at all. And don’t forget to laugh at yourself. Why take yourself seriously?
Laughter is the best medicine also because it brings emotional benefits:
- You are easy to approach
- You look friendlier
- You build rapport quickly
- You can see the funny side of things
- You look more attractive
- You are fun to be around
- You view things in perspective
- You see the lighter, brighter side of life
- You feel less overwhelmed
- You improve your mood instantly
- You feel good
- You are more spontaneous and less defensive
- You are less inhibited
- You find it easier to express your true feelings
Go ahead, create a “happy-demic”, gang up for a “joy cocktail!”
- Watch funny movies / cartoons
- Play with children
- Have fun with your pet
- Share jokes
- Do things that make you laugh
- Tickle each other
- Listen to a baby laugh – nothing as delightful!
- Count your blessings
- Trigger laughter
- Develop your sense of humor
Some inspiring quotes about laughter
When you have a heartfelt belly laugh, all parts of your being – the physiological, the pyschological, the spiritual – they all vibrate in one single tune. They all vibrate in harmony – Osho
Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face – Victor Hugo
Laughter is a melody,
a concert from the heart,
a tickling by angels,
creative living art.
Laughter heals and comforts,
sometimes gentle sometimes bold.
Laughter is a freeing dance,
performed within the soul. – Serene West
I don’t trust anyone who doesn’t laugh – Maya Angelou
Laughter is the fireworks of the soul
Laughter is an instant vacation – Milton Berle
A day without laughter is a day wasted
You don’t stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing!
My wish for you:
Let us be off to Unknown Mami’s blog, and get our itineraries for this edition of Sundays In my City
Have a fabulous week, friends.