happiness

Happiness Hotspots

Happiness hotspots

The week gone by has been very interesting for me, finding my happiness hotspots. I know I write about taking a digital vacation often, usually forced by our electricity taking a vacation, but during the past few days, I’ve been literally blackmailed into staying offline. Okay, not really – I have a choice. But I let ego get in the way (in a nice way) and simply decided to shut. down. my. computer. and enjoy…

happiness hotspots

You see, my internet service provider has been hounding me with warning alerts to let me know I’ve used up 80% of my usage quota. Once is thoughtful. But when it looked like I was using all the remaining 20% looking at their home page insisting I buy more usage, I thought enough is enough and closed the browser.

I didn’t worry about social media since I have set up sharing for all the blog posts I read. As far as participating in the June photo a day challenge on my blog Coffee With Mi is concerned, I wrote the short posts offline and spent two minutes uploading them. Yes, I know I can use Windows Live Writer – but sometimes the formatting becomes messy and adding the photos becomes a bit of a pain.

Anyway, I have to confess, yet again, that it has been quite nice to be offline.

Result? I got a lot of things done. And a big “yay!” to that. I love how life’s lessons ease up on us.

So, again, let me celebrate the small  things in life. Although, come to think of it, some of these are some pretty big ones!

• I realized that I was unexpectedly achieving the discipline and time management I meant to enforce on myself.
  • My kitchen was a hub of activity. I prepared for the coming week as we would all be back to the grind. I enjoy cooking from scratch – I find it easy that way. (thank you, Mom!)
  • It was the last week of my son’s vacation before the academic year began today and it was a flurry of activity getting the new school uniforms and getting other stuff ready.
  • We spent a lot of time together at home watching, yes, you guessed it – Columbo. I also watched Madagascar for the nth time.
  • I enjoyed marathon conversations with my two closest friends and that in itself, is a mini vacation for me. Solid happiness hotspots.
  • I have a stack of books pending for book reviews and I’ve gotten started on those.
  • I learned the word “infobesity” and couldn’t stop laughing. So apt, no? I know I suffer from it with information overload!
  • Somewhat guiltily, I’ve started working on an editorial calendar for my health blog Your Medical Guide. I moved it to self-hosted WordPress a few months ago and just didn’t find the time to post. It was as though I jinxed it with the move. I just shook out that silly cobweb from my head and starting July, will publish regularly there.
  • I spent some lovely hours on our large terrace, enjoying the beautiful evenings and sometimes, rain.
  • On Thursday, we watched one of our favorite programs on Doordarshan TV channel – Gaata Jaaye Banjara. We love it. Unexpected and glorious!
  • A pleasant surprise awaited me in my inbox on Tuesday from “Windchimes” telling me that I was their Blogger of the fortnight. Cute, no?

• Somewhat shamelessly, I am catching up with replying to comments in the short time I spend online. I am honored you take the time to respond to my post and treasure your comments – and feel truly embarrassed I don’t reply right away. I’ve resolved to do better from now on.

And now, some pictures from the week:

I saw this darling pair while out on a walk.  Lots of donkeys in our neighborhood. Stop snickering!

happiness donkey

We are making the most of these beauties before the season comes to an end…which will be soon! Mangoes! heavenly.

Happiness mangoes

This is the motorcycle our traffic policemen use. Cheetah print. How symbolic! This is parked outside the police station.

happiness police bike

And closer home – in the kitchen in fact – cutlets are busy frying to go into burgers.

VidyaSuryBurgers2-001

And here are the burgers – ready to eat!

Happiness burgers

Followed by chai – tea.

happiness tea

A walk on the terrace – it was gloriously sunny  – and clouds gathering on one side – an eerie type of sunlight you know? That’s Vidur and me watching the trees swaying in the breeze. It  was a beautiful evening – with a drizzle followed by a rainbow. Definitely happiness hotspots!

happiness terrace

Here’s a part of a Jain temple wall in the market place – very meticulously done carving, don’t you think?

happiness temple

I did worry at times. But imagined myself lounging in one of these: I covet it! I don’t mind worrying in it preferably with a cup of coffee to help my thoughts flow! One of my favorite happiness hotspots!

happiness rocking chair

After all, no matter what happens, as Robert Frost says – life goes on!

happiness life goes on

I am grateful for my happiness hotspots!

I am linking up with the fabulous Unknown Mami for Sundays In My City

Unknown Mami
and VikLit for Celebrate the Little things

Celebrate the small things

What happiness hotspots did you celebrate last week?

universe unfolds 2

Tess The Bold Life
    June 24, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Infobesity. Hahahah! Thanks for making me laugh Vidya! I have it bad;)
    Tess The Bold Life recently posted…Every Bold Act Counts: 17 Tips to Get Your Courage OnMy Profile

Debbie
    June 24, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Very good Vidya. Everbody needs some time off from the good old PC. i have to admit that when it comes to the weekend many times I do not turn it on.

I take the time off. Love the picture again. Glad you are in a happy place. that is where we always need to be.
    Yes, i am smiling.
    debbie
    Debbie recently posted…5 Tips For Raising Kids So They Don’t End Up Being Your Worst Nightmare.My Profile

Lisa @ Grandma's Briefs
    June 24, 2013 at 8:07 pm

A glorious life offline indeed! Lovely post reminding us of so much. I love, love, love the infobesity mention. Too true… (and a tad worrisome, actually).

Thank you for this!
    Lisa recently posted…Your life… in jelly beans, plus GRAND Social No. 58My Profile

Betsy/Zen Mama
    June 24, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Vidya,
    Loved seeing your pics esp. the shadow one on the rooftop. Glad you enjoyed the end of your vacation!!
    Betsy/Zen Mama recently posted…A Conversation With Tess from the Bold LifeMy Profile

Freya
    June 24, 2013 at 8:24 pm

I find that I get more done when I’m offline, so it’s a constant struggle to balance the off with on. (I prefer the off 😀 )

By your photos you had a ball offline. 🙂

I got some hotspots too – got to spend time with both Mom’s in the same week. 🙂
    Freya recently posted…Book Review: Scammed: Confessions of a Confused Accountant by AnonymousMy Profile

Ajen
    June 24, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Aloo, mangoes and chai….. mmmm… I love it when people talk and share pictures of food! Every time I look at your photos, my brain and taste-buds go into overload trying how and when to visit India! I am even looking forward to seeing the neighborhood animals. The goats and donkeys I have seen in your posts are not too different from the ones in Jamaica. They own the country! …and Jamaica is one of my happy places …However, yesterday, I spent my happy place in my garden in Northern California. We have a nice garden this year and we planted more calendula, corn, squash, zucchini, hyssop, gardenias, and grapes. …oh we watched the horses play for a while. Horticulture therapy at its best. Thank you for providing a space to be grateful this morning 🙂
    Ajen recently posted…Podcast Guest Kaje ThomasMy Profile

Rachna
    June 24, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Yay to that, Vidya! Even kids here watched Madagascar for the nth time. What a delightful movie that is. And cooking, yep that is fun too. As a matter of fact, I stayed away from the net during the weekend because I am reading Khaled Hosseini’s new book :). Bliss, isn’t it! Loved all the pics and the post of course.
    Rachna recently posted…Play times can teach lessons of lifeMy Profile

Lori Gosselin
    June 24, 2013 at 9:05 pm

HI Vidya,
    I love the idea of having happiness hotspots! Your theme today is similar to the one in the post I just put out! Happy people think alike, no?
    Ans I covet that chair toooooo!
    Lori
    Lori Gosselin recently posted…Are You Happy?My Profile

Bhavya
    June 24, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Wow! that was one fabulous post. I do not know what kind of magic you weave into your writing, but as I finished reading your post I was feeling calm and composed as if I had taken the rest you took, as if I took the stroll you took, and those donkeys – they are just so adorable! 🙂

Bhavya recently posted…From The Wrong SideMy Profile

privytrifles
    June 24, 2013 at 11:11 pm

A life offline – seems very tempting… I am tempted to try it myself!!

🙂

And yesss I smiled!
    privytrifles recently posted…Metro Diaries : A thousand desires such…My Profile

Hajra
    June 25, 2013 at 12:40 am

Seems like you are having loads of fun this summer! I miss being here more often! 🙂

I am finally on my summer break so lots of reading, lots of watching movies and yes, food! 🙂
    Hajra recently posted…Will I be backMy Profile

Cathy Taughinbaugh
    June 25, 2013 at 12:54 am

Enjoyed your post Vidya. Glad you have found your happiness. You always know how to find the best in a situation.

Sandra Pawula
    June 25, 2013 at 1:34 am

Infobeasity! Love that and don’t love that! For the moment I am only writing on my blog once a week taking that into account.

We have owls in our neighborhood. I’ve only seen one so far, white and calm perched atop a bamboo. We also have wild pigs.

Love to you!
    Sandra Pawula recently posted…What Are You Willing to Do to Live a Long and Healthy Life?My Profile

June 26, 2013 at 5:17 pm

I was so tickled to learn that word, Sandra! Suits my profile to a …an…er…..”I” 😀

Wild pigs..hmmm. Owls are cute. I love how they can stare for hours.

Hugs to you!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Happiness HotspotsMy Profile

Elle
    June 25, 2013 at 4:45 am

You and your writing and pics are my happiness hotspot Vidya.

e-hugs

Elle
    xoxo
    Elle recently posted…Walking Your Talk: The Magic Key To SuccessMy Profile

June 26, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Thank you, Elle! e-hugs right back at you. I prefer the regular hugs. Sigh!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Happiness HotspotsMy Profile

Christy Garrett
    June 25, 2013 at 8:41 am

Sounds like you had an eventful week. I loved your photos, thank you for sharing.
    Christy Garrett recently posted…Firework Safety and Prevention For The Entire FamilyMy Profile

PhenoMenon
    June 26, 2013 at 4:34 pm

I stay offline on a whim sometimes. Not only from the internet but the mobile as well and that makes my wife go crazy 🙂

I prefer the little things that makes me happy than wait for the big jackpots

PhenoMenon

June 26, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I do that all the time, Pheno! I find that it is always the little things that bring in that rush of happiness. The best part is they happen every day! Thank you for visiting! Loving your “Khukri” photo!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Happiness HotspotsMy Profile

Emily
    June 28, 2013 at 12:54 am

I love the idea of happiness hotspots. And yours sound particularly nice!
    Emily recently posted…On Wanting To Be a WriterMy Profile

Julie Barrett
    June 30, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Vidya, In my mind’s eye I see a visit coming closer and closer! My logical mind says it won’t happen but my intuitive mind is drawing it to me like nobody’s business 🙂 I am working on getting skinny because I plan to eat, eat, eat when I am there! Maybe all that sight-seeing will walk off the extra energy. It just looks too fantastic there.
    Julie Barrett recently posted…Are Your Attachments Showing?My Profile

June 30, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Julie, I will not be surprised at all with your trip. Let me tell you right off that you’re staying with me. Working on getting skinny is good. But let me assure you we’ll find you plenty of clothes where I live.

Don’t underestimate your intuition….I never imagined I’d make a sudden trip to Canada of all places this April – I just manifested…and it happened.

I look forward to your trip 😀 Big hugs. How’s work going?
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Moving By Faith And IntuitionMy Profile

Julie Barrett
        June 30, 2013 at 7:24 pm

LOL yes I might need some cheerful, free flowing kind of clothes 🙂

I haven’t started yet, I go back on the 8th of July, currently working through all my organizing and throwing out that I wanted to happen, and time with the kids. I’ll keep you posted though!
        Julie Barrett recently posted…Are Your Attachments Showing?My Profile

Christopher James
    August 13, 2013 at 11:36 am

Thanks for sharing these beautiful photos, Vidya. Sometimes, all you really need is unplug and step away from social media to have a great time.