happiness parenting relationships

Happy Days

Happy Days Coffee

At our place, most days are happy days.  No matter how the day goes, we manage to squeeze out the happy from it.  This morning, like any Sunday, we woke up, remembered that the whole world is making a big deal of Father’s Day, and thought, hey, why not! We don’t wait for a specially dedicated day to say our i love you’s, so we are more amused than anything and play along.

So Vidur wished his Dad…

…Happy Days!

Then he asked him what he wanted especially today. Sury being Sury, said that it would be great to have our meals together, which we do any way – and then spend the afternoon watching our favorite TV series Columbo. No, it doesn’t air on TV. It is an old detective series starring Peter Falk that ran from 1968 to 2003. I am absolutely in love with Columbo…and we have the whole box set. In 2013 TV Guide included it in its list of The 60 Greatest Dramas of All Time, according to the Wikipedia.  More about Columbo in a future post!

So – the day began with Vidur off to coaching class which is from 8 am to 12.30 pm. We went about our usual stuff and after getting lunch started around 11.30 am , I decided to go get some groceries. The supermarket is quite close to our place- a 10 minute walk and I happily set off. Ten steps later, I fell flat on my face. I was so shocked it wasn’t funny. Then I picked myself up, with a few bruises and a knocked knee and continued towards the market. A silly fall wasn’t going to keep me from the sight of freshly arrived veg and stuff.

Around 1-ish we were all back home and settled down to lunch. Replete and pleasantly relaxed, we decided to watch a couple of episodes of Columbo. We did. Then had our afternoon tea ceremony. And the day went on.  In the evening Vidur and Sury went for a jog while I chilled at home thanks to a swollen knee.

Yup. I made a chocolate cake just for fun.

Later, after dinner, we had a cozy time reminiscing about Vidur’s childhood.  Pleasant moments, as always. (Click Collage if you would like to see a larger image)

Happy Days

Happy Days Father's Day

“Any man can be a Father but it takes someone speciial to be a dad.”  Anne Geddes

I am grateful that Vidur has a wonderful Daddy. We love Sury for his:

• Great sense of humor
  • Patience and uncanny intuition for knowing exactly what to do in a crisis
  • Kindness
  • Ability to see the big picture and not pick nits over minor issues
  • Sense of responsibility
  • Presence whenever we need it without asking
  • Self-discipline
  • Focused attitude
  • Love

I did not know my father –  he abandoned my Mother just two months before I was born – he went to the US to pursue his studies, married an American and settled there. He chose to think he only had one family – the one he established there. Lucky me! Instead of a Dad, I had my Grandma, Uncles and Aunts.  Life can’t have been easy for my Mom who was married at 13, but she never let it show. She always put on a positive front, living her mission of “everything is possible”. I am blessed that my Mom was enough!

Happy Days

Mom and I in 1972

Love lives in our home.

Happy Days

Happy days indeed!

How did you celebrate Sunday?

This post is linked to UnknownMami’s Sundays in my City – a lovely meme that lets us travel the world together!

Lets go see what the others are up to!

Unknown Mami

I enjoyed these posts today:

Great Gratitude and a few quotes for the Fathers in my life – at the Zen Mama’s Blog

Tales of My Father at Roshni’s blog

P.S.: Register for the 30 Days of Bold ecourse before June 24, 2013 to enjoy

the pre-registration discounted price of $99.

From June 24, the course will revert to its regular price of $149.

It is a great investment in yourself.

Roshni
    June 17, 2013 at 12:19 am

Such a beautiful collage and post, Vidya! I hope your knee is healed now but it looks like you had a wonderful time nevertheless!
    Thank you so very much for featuring my post!
    Roshni recently posted…Lose weight or be healthy?My Profile

June 24, 2013 at 11:12 am

Thank you, Roshni – loved your post!

Yes, my knee is healed now :D, thanks!

BLOGitse
    June 17, 2013 at 12:46 am

What a happy family you have! You’re not bitter but enjoying what you have, what you’ve learned in life – like many women in India. I’m so proud of you!!!!
    BLOGitse recently posted…Málaga blueMy Profile

GILLENA COX
    June 17, 2013 at 1:37 am

Have a nice Sunday

much love…

Robyn Engel
    June 17, 2013 at 3:55 am

You have a very special, fun-loving family, Vidya. I’m glad you are able to make every day a happy one. That’s very impressive.

Keep smiling.
    xoRobyn
    Robyn Engel recently posted…The Unexplainable, Sundays in My CityMy Profile

Betsy/Zen Mama
    June 17, 2013 at 5:19 am

Vidya,
    So glad your family had a wonderful father’s day. We started with breakfast out, hosted by our two oldest who are gone for the summer. Then just a wonderful day of doing not much of anything. Tonight we’re having some of John’s favorite food – Chinese! A happy time indeed!

Thanks for the link, too!! 🙂

PS I love Columbo! I used to watch it as a kid!!
    Betsy/Zen Mama recently posted…Great Gratitude (and a few quotes!) For the Fathers In My Life!My Profile

June 24, 2013 at 11:14 am

I love Chinese, too, Betsy! Glad you had a wonderful day. I like how together time with family is the ultimate celebration!

😀 I can never tire of Columbo! Love the series!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Bhagavad Gita Practical Yoga My Profile

Sebastian Aiden Daniels
    June 17, 2013 at 9:12 am

I love that you and your family love Columbo! I use to watch that growing up with my dad haha. My dad use to love that show.

I am glad that you have such a loving family and a husband that wasn’t like your father. : D

Dorothy
    June 17, 2013 at 2:30 pm

These hallmark holidays are a little silly. When I wished my father a happy father’s day he said, “I’m you father every day!” I like the idea of wishing someone “happy days” better!

Sorry for the swollen knee. Hope it feels better soon!
    Dorothy recently posted…Father’s Day – Sundays in My CityMy Profile

Corinne Rodrigues
    June 17, 2013 at 4:22 pm

I hope your knee is all better. Glad to hear you had a great day despite it – it’s all in the mind, isn’t it? 🙂
    Corinne Rodrigues recently posted…Why I WriteMy Profile

June 24, 2013 at 11:17 am

Absolutely, Corinne. Mind over matter. Then every little thing matters. Oh, I was groaning the next day, thanks to painful muscles that must have got jolted when I fell and so the knee had to wait her turn. I am fine now 😀 Thank you!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Parenting Teenagers With Love And LogicMy Profile

Debbie
    June 17, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Isn’t it great to just enjoy the day! And hope your knee is getting better.

We had a nice relaxing day ourselves. did a little BQ, good converstation and a movie in the evening.

Nice little rain shower topped the day. We needed that.
    Thanks Vidya for sharing and keep that wonderful smile.

Debbie
    Debbie recently posted…Are You A Father Or A Sperm Donor?My Profile

Lori Gosselin
    June 17, 2013 at 10:23 pm

I’m glad you had a happy Father’s Day Vidya!It is something not to be taken for granted, for sure!
    Lori
    Lori Gosselin recently posted…Do the Words “Life” and “Struggle” Always Go Together?My Profile

Anyta
    June 18, 2013 at 6:08 am

A wonderful post Vidya. The unconditional love that flows in your family is inspirational.

Fran Sorin
    June 18, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Vidya – What a beautiful family – both physically and spiritually –

Whether you know it or not Vidya, you are giving lessons on love – in a very loving way…xxoo-Fran

P.S. Hope you’re healed from the fall.
    Fran Sorin recently posted…How A Rooftop Vegetable Garden Makes Me JoyfulMy Profile

June 24, 2013 at 11:20 am

I love how I learn every day, Fran. A large part of the credit goes to all those I interact with. 🙂 yes, I am fine now! 😀 Thank you!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Bhagavad Gita Practical Yoga My Profile

Ken Wert@MeanttobeHappy
    June 18, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Columbo was my show! I always loved his laid back attitude, his “oops, I forgot, just one more question” on the way out the door style.

I love the quote from Anne Geddes. I call deadbeat dads “sperm donors.” Because the honorable title of father or dad should be reserved for those who actually play that role. And it looks like you picked a good one, Vidya! But no surprise there. Greatness attracts greatness, right?
    Ken Wert recently posted…The House-ness of your Happiness (three fundamental characteristics of happiness)My Profile

June 24, 2013 at 11:22 am

I am so not surprised you enjoy Columbo, Ken. (Mental note: pack box set when I visit you). We watch at least two episodes a week. He’s an amazing character. I just ordered Peter Falk’s book, aptly titled “Just one more thing” and can’t wait to read it.

Yes, I am so lucky that my son’s lucky to have a wonderful Dad! By the way, I have no father. I am an angel of God. 😀

Hugs!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Bhagavad Gita Practical Yoga My Profile

Elle
    June 19, 2013 at 12:55 am

Love lives here…is so obviously true of your home Vidya and I would add love lives in you.

I keep reading about love today…and my spirit becomes ever more elevated..so I thank you for your contribution to my spirit. 🙂

xoxo
    Elle
    Elle recently posted…How To Make Your Bad Day BetterMy Profile

June 24, 2013 at 11:23 am

Ah, I love when that happens, Elle! When we read different takes on the same topics some days. 😀 So heart-warming and uplifting!

Hugs and thank you for your presence here today!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Bhagavad Gita Practical Yoga My Profile

Unknown Mami
    July 23, 2013 at 8:31 am

Peter Falk is in Wings of Desire, one of my all-time favorite movies.
    Unknown Mami recently posted…Purple Boots (Sundays In My City)My Profile

July 23, 2013 at 8:42 am

I am so thrilled to know that a Peter Falk movie is your favorite. That man has my heart. 😀 I just bought his book “Just one more thing” and all I can say is, he’s a wonderful human being!

Hugs! Claudya. You know I love you.
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Soul SmilesMy Profile

G Angela
    July 23, 2013 at 10:12 am

Enjoyed reading your posts vidya ! thanks for being a motivation, its raining here in Hyderabad, and its risky to ride, and I fell from my bike wanting to reach my workplace on time – but I did not let that disturb me, and I continued to do everything that i planned for the day….. thanks for sharing !
    G Angela recently posted…F – FRIENDS & FLOWERSMy Profile