health and wellness tips parenting

Parenting Teenagers With Love And Logic

parenting teenagers with love and logic

My current mission in life is raising a happy teenager. Parenting teenagers with love and logic involves ensuring their mental as well as physical health, what with all the pressures they have to handle in their busy young lives.

So for my parenting post at Parentous this week, I decided to recap what we’re doing to keep our son happy, healthy and stress-free as he juggles his daily schedule. Obviously it involves a lot of practicing what we preach and I love that because it is a great way for all of us to nudge each other when one of us lags behind. The joy and laughter that accompanies these push-pull situations is absolutely enjoyable.

Here is an excerpt of my post about….

parenting teenagers with love and logic

….with special focus on health:

[box] Mission: Raising One Happy Teenager

Now that the excitement of Class X results has abated, a new era begins. Coaching classes, time management blues and oh, yes, school! Class XI is a crazy time for the 15-year-old. Most of them, depending on the subjects they choose or the curriculum they have studied in are likely to step into “college” while others like my son choose to continue in the same school for the next two years.

A number of these students are no strangers to coaching classes – since a majority aim for professional courses whose entrance exams are tough to crack. Thanks to an institute that offers coaching classes for these joint entrance exams that approached the school to choose a handful of meritorious students for free coaching, our son also goes to a coaching class.

Needless to say (but I have to say it anyway) time is super tight. We’re enjoying the last week of his school holidays before the academic year begins next week. While I am quite sure that after the initial time management struggles he will settle down to the new routine, I have to confess that I secretly freak out thinking of how he is going to juggle school, school work, coaching classes and the related assignments and tests and music class with practice sessions. Oh, not to forget his hobbies, being an avid reader and devoted artist.

As my head silently reels, I am thinking of ways to keep him mentally and physically healthy so that he can handle the various pressures that go with his territory with ease. I realize we must have a broad daily schedule that will help him pack in all that he wants to do. Here’s what I have on my list – we do most of these things, but find that it is always a good idea to revisit! I am not going to talk about food since that is a given.[/box]

Please do continue reading my post here: Mission: Raising One Happy Teenager

Life will always have something to worry about. Coping is a necessity. But so is having fun in the process.

After all, healthy child, happy child, right?

parenting perspectives

I’d love to hear your comments/tips.

Right now, my biggest challenge is keeping my sanity as my son hounds me with the housework list I made. I am letting good sense prevail as I delegate *wink*! Yep – I am holding that thought about parenting teenagers with love and logic!

Am I blessed or what?

parenting with love and logic

Richa Singh
    June 18, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Vidya the post is such a heartfelt one. Now I will proceed to read the complete on on parentous.com. And though presently I dont have a kid I can completely forsee that similar things will happen to me. P.S the reading and artist part was good but it was music that caught my attention. How lovely of you to give a complete development Kudos! “A superson is an offspring of a super mom (my own quote!)”
    Richa Singh recently posted…He is nine years old- 7X7X7 Writing promptMy Profile

Anne-Sophie
    June 19, 2013 at 8:01 am

I can only imagine raising a teenager, but I do remember how weird that time was for me. I’m sure that your son will be appreciate of all your wonderful support and love.
    Anne-Sophie recently posted…When Life Gets in the WayMy Profile

Betsy/Zen Mama
    June 19, 2013 at 8:37 am

Vidya,
    I’ll definitely go read! Sounds like great advice! Have your read the book by Jim Fay called Love and Logic? A great book for raising kids. Somehow I can’t imagine that Vidur is that bad of a teenager…
    xoxo
    Betsy
    Betsy/Zen Mama recently posted…Great Gratitude (and a few quotes!) For the Fathers In My Life!My Profile

July 3, 2013 at 11:32 am

Vidur is a nice teenager, Betsy. 😀 But we always have to be alert to peer pressure and reaction. So far, we’re lucky. I haven’t read Jim Fay’s book. I must get it! Hugs!

Rahul
    June 19, 2013 at 9:55 am

That was a lot of wisdom packed write up Vidya! Could not agree more:)

Bhavya
    June 19, 2013 at 10:15 am

You sure have your hands full and he has his schedule full. Here’s wishing you guys loads of enjoyment as you juggle everything on your hands. 🙂
    Bhavya recently posted…Birthday WishMy Profile

B k chowla
    June 19, 2013 at 11:26 am

Would you agree that bringing up a teenage boy is relatively more difficult than bringing up a girl?
    B k chowla recently posted…MEDIA-MISPLACED PRIORITIESMy Profile

Fran Sorin
    June 19, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Vidya-

My kids are long gone from the house BUT your words are wise ones.

The older I get, the more I believe that the most important thing is to listen to your child, allow them to follow their passions and be who they are. Mix in love, discipline, and constant teaching – and the chances of ending up with ‘happy young adults’ is greatly increased – no guarantees at all- but doing the above was helpful to me. 🙂 Fran
    Fran Sorin recently posted…How A Rooftop Vegetable Garden Makes Me JoyfulMy Profile

wendy merron
    June 19, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Ah…if only I could do it all over again!
    I would listen A LOT more.
    I would worry A LOT less.
    wendy merron recently posted…3 Things to STOP Doing NOW and Improve Your Life FAST.My Profile

Debbie
    June 19, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Sound like you have this one down Vidya.. I am glad that those years or passed. Talking and listening to teens is a big part of those years.

i had to learn to let go and let them make there choice, but always be there if they need help getting back up.

I have heard that boys are easier that girls, but I guess if you just have girls you don’t know any different and it all works out.

Thanks for sharing and your wise words, Vidya.
    debbie
    Debbie recently posted…Are You A Father Or A Sperm Donor?My Profile

Mantha
    June 19, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Vidya, you are indeed blessed! We are just getting into our school holidays here and I have 2 of my girls here at home with me and keeping them mentally and physically healthy is my main goal this summer. I do so love hearing about your family and your son seems to be a wonderful example of a great teenager. Now I am off to read more!

Mantha:)
    Mantha recently posted…The Healing Power of NASCARMy Profile

Diana Pinto
    June 20, 2013 at 4:12 pm

I agree it is hard to bring up a teenager in these stressful times. I have a three year old son too and I’m beggining to wonder how times would would be when he’s a teenager. I liked the wonderful and useful tips you shared on Parentous.

Christopher James
    August 8, 2013 at 9:29 am

This early I’m already worrying about that stage. But as one of your commenters put it, “Worry LESS, Listen MORE.”