DIY The Red Carpet

Easy DIY Project How to Make a Rustic Drawer Knob Rack

Easy DIY project Vidya Sury

You know I am crazy about easy DIY projects (Do It Yourself) and enjoy tinkering with stuff. My folks think I can repair anything and in fact, over the years, I’ve proved it by my restoration skills. It is a habit born from having to be thrifty and get the maximum use out of what we had as we simply couldn’t afford to go buy a new one whenever we wanted. And? There’s a deep sense of satisfaction at having created something.

So imagine my absolute delight when I met Cher of Design by Studio C! For me, it was love at first sight. Here was someone who, in my view, lived the dream. I became a regular at her blog. I am fascinated by her expertise of offering easy to follow, free DIY woodworking plans and some amazingly easy DIY projects. And? She is ever-ready to respond if you have a question. Connect with Cher on Facebook

I love her Pinterest boards and you will too! Follow her on Google Plus and Twitter for regular updates.

Welcome, Cher. I am so happy you’re here today!

How to Make a Rustic Drawer Knob Rack

by Cher

Easy DIY Project Cher

Thank you, Vidya, for inviting me to guest post on your site! I am so excited!

My name is Cher and I run a DIY site, Designs by Studio C, where I feature DIY projects, how-to information, and furniture plans. If you like sawdust in your hair and paint under your fingernails, this is the place for you!

For any questions or requests, I can be contacted at cher {at} designsbystudioc {dot} com!

Today, I have a special, easy DIY project I’ve created for your readers!

How to Make a Rustic Drawer Knob Rack

easy DIY project vidya sury

I love these cute little racks! They are perfect for hanging towels in the bathroom, for hanging scarves or jewelry, for organizing pet leashes or shopping bags, or really for whatever you want! They can be coordinated or customized with colors to match your decor, or the wood can be left bare like I did. Drawer pulls are easy to find at any home improvement store or hobby store. These racks can be made in any length and can also be fastened directly to the wall using screws through the wall studs or wall anchors.

Materials:

• 1 – 1×4 board (which actually measures 3/4″ thick x 3-1/2″ wide) measuring approximately 20″ long
  • Three drawer knobs or drawer pulls (handles can also be used!)
  • Saw to cut the board to length , if needed
  • Drill with a 3/16″ drill bit
  • Safety glasses and gloves
  • Sandpaper (Medium and Fine grits)
  • Paint or stain, plus a clear sealer
  • Picture frame wire
  • Two soda can tabs with two washers and two 3/4″ screws

Notes:

I used a board from an old shipping pallet. I sanded the board then applied a clear sealer. Use caution when pulling the pallets apart – wear safety glasses and gloves!

I also used drawer knobs that had a post and a nut on the back, rather than the regular type with a screw that goes into the backside of the knob. I have included instructions for both types of knobs!

easy DIY project vidya sury

Step One

Cut the board to length using the saw. Thoroughly sand the board using the sandpaper. Wipe the dust away, then paint or stain and seal the board.

easy DIY project vidya sury

Step Two

Mark the position of the knobs on the back side. Since the knobs I am using have a nut on the back, I will have to drill a countersunk hole (a hole that will allow the nut to rest below the surface). I used a 3/8″ Forstner bit (a bit that drills flat-bottomed holes) in the back side of the board, then used a 3/16″ drill bit to drill a hole completely through the board for the post.

If a regular drawer knob is being used (one with a screw on the back) use the drill and the 3/16″ bit to drill a hole through the board at each mark.

easy DIY project vidya sury

easy DIY project vidya sury

easy DIY project vidya sury

Step Three

Once I had the holes drilled, I inserted the knob post into the hole on the front side, then put the nut into the hole on the back side and tightened everything down. The post sticks out a bit so I used a hacksaw to cut it off.

If using a regular knob, insert the screw from the drawer knob in the back of the board and secure the knob in place.

easy DIY project vidya sury

easy DIY project vidya sury

Step Four

Mark the position for the picture frame hardware and wire. I measured down 1″ from the top of the board and 2″ in from each edge. I secured the soda can tab (my favorite way to hang frames!) using a screw. Cut the wire at lease 6″ longer than the board, and thread it through the loop in the can tabs. Pull it through the loops so that the wire is in a straight line across the back of the board (it will stretch slightly when hung on the wall) and secure the wire by wrapping it around itself.

easy DIY project vidya sury

Step Five

Hang it on the wall by driving a screw through a wall stud or by using the appropriate wall anchor.

easy DIY project vidya sury

Thank you again, Vidya! I hope your readers enjoy this project!

Thank you, Cher! I am sure they will! I know I do!

Dear Friends,

I urge you to try this easy DIY project! Not only is it easy – the rack is absolutely multipurpose – you can use it anywhere! A few years ago, we had to dismantle a door. We helped ourselves to strips of the wood each time we needed to repair something. Now I have a few strips left and plan to use them for Cher’s project. We never seem to have enough hanging space!

Please check out some of my favorite easy DIY projects on Cher’s blog:

How to make a cork board using an old screen door – fabulous easy DIY project to make a display board
How to make a recycled gift bag – I love this.
How to Build a Corner Bookcase Using an Old Door – Clearly Cher shares my love for recycling doors!

Since I don’t do major sawing / cutting work, I go to my friendly neighborhood hardware store and get the cutting or drilling done. They are usually happy to oblige. Then I bring it all back home and take care of the nailing/nuts and screws/glue-ing to put it together.

Question for you:

What is your favorite easy DIY project?

Please share in the comments!

P.S.

In India, we’re celebrating Republic Day today! Jai Hind! Republic Day honors the date on which the Constitution of India came into force on 26 January 1950

I am linking up with the awesome Unknown Mami who hosts my favorite meme Sundays In My City.  She treats me to world travel

Rainbow Hues
    January 26, 2014 at 3:45 pm

That’s a wonderful DIY project. I am such a lousy person when it comes to doing stuff like this…but this one looks easy!

Thanks for bringing this Vidya!
    Rainbow Hues recently posted…The ArtisteMy Profile

January 26, 2014 at 7:27 pm

I know you’ll enjoy this, Kajal. And it is fun to make something that you can use right away! Thank you for coming by!

January 28, 2014 at 5:32 am

Thank you so much! You could certainly do this and if you need help, please let me know!
      Cher recently posted…Build a Wood Towel RackMy Profile

Proactive Indian
    January 26, 2014 at 3:50 pm

This DIY project is interesting, but it is easier said than done!
    I’ve already voted for your blog.
    Proactive Indian recently posted…All political parties put together cannot be bigger than our nationMy Profile

January 26, 2014 at 7:26 pm

It is also easily done, Pro! 😀 I love doing these things!

I really appreciate that you voted for my blog! Thank you so much!

January 28, 2014 at 5:32 am

You can do it, I swear!
      Cher recently posted…Build a Wood Towel RackMy Profile

Corinne Rodrigues
    January 26, 2014 at 5:54 pm

So simple and yet so elegant, Cher! I’m off to check out your blog.

I can quite see you making one, Vidya. 😉
    Corinne Rodrigues recently posted…My Happiness ProjectMy Profile

Cher @ Designs by Studio C
    January 26, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Thank you so much for having me as your guest. I am so humbled by your awesomeness and the kind words!
    Cher recently posted…Build a Rustic BenchMy Profile

Dee Williamson
    January 26, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Wow. First of all, this is fabulous. I love the bird knobs. Adore them! Second, thanks for the dip on the forstner bit. I was trying to think of what those types of bits are called. And third, you’re a genius! I never thought of using pop can tabs to affix the picture wire to the back!
    Dee Williamson recently posted…When The Lights Go Down In The CityMy Profile

January 26, 2014 at 7:24 pm

Welcome, Dee! I was blown away by the can tabs too. Thanks for stopping by! Cher is a genius!

Just recently I saw another use for soda can tabs here… to double coat hangers Take a look! I thought it was cool!

Cher @ Designs by Studio C
      January 27, 2014 at 5:43 am

Thank you so much! I love to use the soda can tabs… They are much cheaper than regular picture hangers!
      Cher recently posted…Build a Rustic BenchMy Profile

January 28, 2014 at 7:23 pm

Thank you so much, Dee! I really appreciate it! When I was little, my grandmother sent me a caterpillar rack with soda can tabs as the hangers. I really love that idea!
      Cher recently posted…Build a Wood Towel RackMy Profile

Judy
    January 26, 2014 at 9:02 pm

We have gotten into the habit of recycling and reinventing many items as well. Great job!

Star Traci
    January 27, 2014 at 7:21 am

What a fabulous idea! I need a rack like that and I would never have thought to use drawer pulls but it really looks good.
    🙂
    Traci
    Star Traci recently posted…Sundays in My City #88 – Snow!My Profile

January 28, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Thank you so much, Traci! They are very easy and inexpensive to make!

January 29, 2014 at 9:58 am

🙂 I had a feeling you’ll like it, Traci! 🙂 Do check out Cher’s blog – full of fab DIY!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…I Trust YouMy Profile

Philip V Ariel
    January 27, 2014 at 7:58 am

Hi Vidya,
    Good to be here again.
    very interesting Guest post, with good number of illustrations. I am sure it’s a great idea. Thanks for introducing Cher here. Have a Good day
    Philip
    Philip V Ariel recently posted…How To Make Money Through Your Blog Pages ?My Profile

January 28, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Hi, Philip! Thank you so much! I am glad to know Vidya and that she invited me as a guest…

January 29, 2014 at 9:58 am

Thank you for dropping by, Philip! 🙂 Cher is a DIY whiz and I am so happy to have her here! Do visit her blog
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Book Review The Love MindsetMy Profile

Sulekha
    January 27, 2014 at 11:14 am

Vidya, Thanks for sharing this lovely DIY project, I am not very good at making things but love reading about them and maybe someday I might get the urge to do it. I am bookmarking Cher’s Designs by studio C blog for further viewing.

January 28, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Thank you, Sulekha! I really appreciate it! I swear, you can do this project and if you need help, I would be happy to walk you through it!
      Cher recently posted…Installing Drawer FrontsMy Profile

January 29, 2014 at 10:00 am

Hi Sulekha! 🙂 This one is easy! In fact, you can get your local carpenter drill the slots for you to bolt-nut the knobs. Easy project, really! Happy you are here.
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Easy DIY Project How to Make a Rustic Drawer Knob RackMy Profile

Suzy
    January 27, 2014 at 11:49 am

Carpentry is not one of my strengths. But I like the idea of the recycled gift bag. Will definitely be trying that one.
    Suzy recently posted…UBC Day 26 – Balancing LifeMy Profile

January 28, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Hi, Suzy! I love the gift bag, too, and have been known to hoard food boxes! Thank you for the kind words!
      Cher recently posted…Installing Drawer FrontsMy Profile

January 29, 2014 at 10:01 am

Suzy, Cher – I am a food box hoarder and was delighted to see the gift bag tutorial! I also use them to stack books to keep them dust-free. 😀

Thanks for dropping by, Suzy!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Book Review The Love MindsetMy Profile

Kathy
    January 27, 2014 at 12:15 pm

That looks so cool!! Great ideas ♥
    Kathy recently posted…She Had the Last LaughMy Profile

BLOGitse
    January 27, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Great idea.
    I’m DIY person when I need something. I sew, paint, take photos etc. – right now I only take and play with photos.
    BLOGitse recently posted…coffee bubblesMy Profile

January 28, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Hi, BLOGitse! I love being able to do many crafty things, too! Thank you for stopping by Vidya’s site! She’s awesome!
      Cher recently posted…Installing Drawer FrontsMy Profile

Shilpa Garg
    January 27, 2014 at 2:01 pm

What a fabulous and a simple idea!! Loved it ♥
    Shilpa Garg recently posted…Breaking the StereotypesMy Profile

Michelle Liew
    January 27, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Will try these to revamp my kitchen cabinet drawers. Thanks for sharing!!! Wonderfully useful.
    Michelle Liew recently posted…For A Little PaybackMy Profile

January 28, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Thank you, Michelle! I make quite a few of these because I tend to hoard drawer knobs (amongst other things)!
      Cher recently posted…Installing Drawer FrontsMy Profile

January 29, 2014 at 10:04 am

Michelle, Cher. I once had a door with only knobs all over it. Each time we recycled something, I’d pull out the knob and stick it in the door. Wish I still had it 😀

Would love to see pictures when you make this, Michelle!

Leovi
    January 27, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Very interesting, a hanger with nice design! Greetings!
    Leovi recently posted…Foto Abstracta 2934 Quiero descubrir cada uno de tus mil recovecos – I want to find every one of your thousand cranniesMy Profile

Usha Menon
    January 27, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Great ideas and great results.
    Usha Menon recently posted…Haiku Heights #319 – UselessMy Profile

Melissa
    January 27, 2014 at 10:34 pm

Loving this post! My husband is a builder and specializes in rustic elegance style homes. I love this look and the instructions are easy enough anyone can enjoy the process. What better way to lift your spirit than creating something you can actually use in your own home! Awesome!
    Melissa recently posted…Healing… Find The Joy in the Journey!My Profile

January 28, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Hi, Melissa! Thank you so much for the kind words! I’m really grateful for Vidya introducing me to some really great people!
      Cher recently posted…Installing Drawer FrontsMy Profile

January 29, 2014 at 10:06 am

Exactly, Melissa! That’s the thing I adore about DIY – such a sense of pride. So glad Cher’s here today with her beautiful guide!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Life’s Priceless BookmarksMy Profile

Cathy Taughinbaugh
    January 27, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Looks like a fun project, VIdya. I love the bird knobs that Cher used. Thanks for sharing! “)
    Cathy Taughinbaugh recently posted…Molly: A Combination Of Drugs That Can Harm Your ChildMy Profile

January 28, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Thank you, Cathy! I bought them at my local Hobby Lobby. I really love those knobs, too!
      Cher recently posted…Installing Drawer FrontsMy Profile

January 29, 2014 at 10:07 am

Oh yes, Cathy – aren’t the bird knobs adorable! 🙂 Thank you for being here!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Raw Banana Roast RecipeMy Profile

obsessivemom
    January 27, 2014 at 10:59 pm

I’m a little wary of the drilling. But i will check out Cher’s blog.. sounds like an interesting place. thanks Vidya.
    obsessivemom recently posted…A new beginningMy Profile

January 28, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Hello! I used to be wary of drilling, also, but you can do it and I am here to help!
      Cher recently posted…Installing Drawer FrontsMy Profile

January 29, 2014 at 10:09 am

Tulika, just hold the drill once…and you’ll be hooked. Go for the easy home-use type. You’ll find yourself looking for excuses to use it. Just like the first time we used scissors 😀

Thanks for dropping by!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…My Unexpected DIY Project. A Lesson In PatienceMy Profile

LindySez
    January 28, 2014 at 12:22 am

I see my aprons hanging from it…thanks, what a great idea.
    LindySez recently posted…Just the Beginnings Chicken SoupMy Profile

Jessica
    January 28, 2014 at 1:29 am

This looks fun and sounds easy to do! I can’t wait to give it a try!
    Jessica recently posted…When Your Children Grow UpMy Profile

Robyn Engel
    January 28, 2014 at 2:37 am

Very clever. I never would’ve thought to do this. Thank you, ladies, for the great idea. These little touches go far to make the day brighter.

xoRobyn
    Robyn Engel recently posted…Sutter Buttes, Sundays in My City, Cow PelvisMy Profile

Elle
    January 28, 2014 at 2:52 am

Am in love with those little birds. Cher always manages to make things look so easy – wish it came more naturally to me. I never knew you were such a good DIYer Vidya!!! Thank you for sharing Cher with us.
    Elle recently posted…Why The Rolling Stones Were Wrong: You Can Get What You WantMy Profile

Cher @ Designs by Studio C
    January 28, 2014 at 5:26 am

Thank you very much, everyone, for the kind words! I was thrilled by the invitation from Vidya – she is really awesome and I really love visiting her site. Thank you so much for the warm welcome!
    Cher recently posted…Build a Wood Towel RackMy Profile

Remy
    January 29, 2014 at 12:18 am

This is great Vidya! I need to try to do this.
    Remy recently posted…Enter to win 1 Free Month of Sidebar AdvertisingMy Profile

Sid
    January 29, 2014 at 10:17 am

Ok, I am awful at DIY in general. But this seems pretty easy to do 🙂 Thanks for the share Vidya
    Sid recently posted…In a minuteMy Profile

January 29, 2014 at 10:19 am

🙂 Thanks for stopping by, Sid. I loved having Cher over with her lovely DIY project and yes, I am working on it 😀
      Vidya Sury recently posted…What If We Focus on Self Love?My Profile

Pheno Menon
    January 29, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Interesting..I love collecting old stuff in the hope that I can do a DIY but never gotten to do it

PhenoMenon

Pheno Menon recently posted…Casting the NetMy Profile

vanita
    January 29, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Cher you always have awesome projects. I want to make the coffee table one so I can 1. have that beautiful piece in our family room and 2. post pics of it all over Facebook to show my cousin, who is also a woodworker by trade for some fancy-schmancy place in the city, that mine is way more beautiful than his. 😀 absolutely love this rack. unfortunately we live in an apartment where nails don’t stay in the walls. I’ve patched the wall twice afraid that the landlady will notice. any insight on how i can get all these school pictures on the wall besides taping them up ghetto-style?

Beth Hewitt
    February 12, 2014 at 7:12 pm

Hi Vidya,

First time on your blog and thank you for introducing me to Cher. What a lovely blog post and the results look beautiful.

Can’t wait to have a go at this 🙂

Beth
    Beth Hewitt recently posted…Why Bloggers Should Consider Facebook AdvertisingMy Profile

February 12, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Welcome, Beth! I am in love with Cher’s blog! And yes, her tutorials are great. Would love to see how your project turns out!

By the way – love your newsletters! Yes, I am a lurker!

Are you participating in the April AtoZChallenge?

Stacy
    February 26, 2014 at 7:31 pm

The soda can tab idea is brilliant! I never thought of that!

February 26, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Yep, Stacy, I thought it was a superb – and such an easy trick! 😀 Thank you for coming by!