I Trust You

By  |  37 Comments

“I trust you”

And that is the best compliment​ I’ve ever received

From…
my grandmom
my Mom
my Husband
my Son
my friends
my teachers
People who hardly know me, but trust me to give them the right answer when they email me
My Clients – who have no doubt I’ll come through when they have an emergency

Compliments are gifts. Powerful gifts that shape us, slowly but surely.

I Trust You

From teachers…one compliment can change a student’s life.

I fondly remember my own teachers when I write this. I went through six schools in different places from Grade 1 to 12 and had the privilege of being influenced and loved by my teachers.

When I think back on some really tough times, I am overwhelmed by the support I’ve always received.

I particularly remember this time – back in 1983 when I ran away from home. Long story – but when I returned home – it was Jan 26. Needless to say, the family was furious.

Oh, so you want to know why I ran away – my relatives wanted to get me married off to a 45 year old guy. And you know how old 45 seems to a 20 year old. No amount of saying no convinced my folks. So I did the only thing I thought was effective. Stupid, but well, I saw no other way. And yes – I was away from Jan 16 to 26 of 1983…10 days – and enough time for my folks to freak out.

When I returned, my Mom received me with open arms and said “I trust you”. Obviously I had to resume college and I was scared-embarrassed. Everyone knew I had run away. I felt I couldn’t face my classmates. Everyone would look at me as “that girl”

But imagine my stunned surprise when my teachers were there, waiting to hug me and welcome me back to class. My Genetics professor took me in her arms, let me cry and when I calmed down, she said, “I trust you”.

Those three words were enough. I graduated with honors. My folks didn’t doubt that I wouldn’t – but it was a difficult time with my Grandmother’s health taking a turn for the worse and we were all worried. I would sit with her as soon as I returned from college and read aloud to her – from my Zoology text books. I remember, even today, how she would gently smile at me, grope for my hand squeeze it and tell me she trusted me to do well.

When I think back, none of life’s struggles stand out. The encouragement and compliments I received do, though. Prominently. Just like how we go through all kinds of crazy stuff in school but long after we’ve left it behind, only the good times stay in our memory. And so it is with all aspects of life.

My son thinks I can fix anything. He trusts me implicitly and tells me often. It fills my heart.

It is the same with my husband, my friends and most of the people I interact with. Why, even Vidur’s school teachers think they can rely on me and trust me to turn up at short notice for any program they want me to preside over.

It is a great feeling to be trusted. One of my bosses would laugh and say people took me for a ride by saying that. I don’t think so.

What can I say? I am grateful. I take it as a compliment when people think they can trust me.

Compliments are like verbal sunshine

The one thing that makes me laugh uncontrollably is when my young neighbors think I’ll never let them down when they have a school project or need materials for one!

What is the best compliment you’ve received?

Please share with me!

We are celebrating National Compliment Day over at our Write Tribe blog with a link up! Please join us!

Take one!

i trust you national compliment day

I've enabled both Google+ comments + the usual. You choose which to use ♥

1. Cathy Taughinbaugh

January 24, 2014 at 11:44 pm

That is a wonderful compliment,Vidya. That really says it all, that you are upstanding person and you will do the right thing. What could be better than to feel that people trust you!
    Cathy Taughinbaugh recently posted…55 Top Addiction Recovery Blogs 2014My Profile

2. Geeta Nair

January 25, 2014 at 12:10 am

Trust is indeed something very precious, very sacred ad when someone puts their trust n you, they put themselves n your care. When someone trusts you, they do so because they believe you can never go wrong. Trust places a greater responsibility on you.

This is a lovely post.May you always live up to the trust placed by others in you.
    Geeta Nair recently posted…Mirror with a differenceMy Profile

3. Elle

January 25, 2014 at 12:31 am

It’s clear why those nearest and dearest offered you those words of encouragement Vidya, the beautiful soul you are shines through. I especially loved what you said about it wasn’t the struggles of life that stand out, it’s the words of encouragement. A sentiment so dear to my heart. If we could all but find a word or two of encouragement to leave behind us as we go through our day we could change the world.
    Elle recently posted…Stop Sabotaging Yourself: How To Manage ProcrastinationMy Profile

4. simplegirl

January 25, 2014 at 2:31 am

that is a beautiful compliment..young neighbors trusting you is real sweet :)
    simplegirl recently posted…Blogathon 2014 – Post 24: ComplimentsMy Profile

5. Ruchira

January 25, 2014 at 3:58 am

just a 5 letter word but can make such an impact for the person giving it and receiving it.

great compliment indeed :)
    Ruchira recently posted…Living life the futuristic way!My Profile

6. Mary Stephenson

January 25, 2014 at 6:13 am

Hi Vidya

Wow that is pretty awesome that you were brave enough to run away from home to avoid being married to someone you didn’t want to. I had an opportunity to leave home and jumped at the chance, so I had some support to do so. I am grateful for choices in the US.

Trust is really important and when everyone else lets you down, if you even have only one person to trust it is a blessing.

Mary
    Mary Stephenson recently posted…The Principle of EthicsMy Profile

7. Karen Jolly

January 25, 2014 at 6:36 am

This brought a tear Vidya! There is nothing like hearing words of encouragement just when you need it. And “I trust you” is one of the most meaningful and freeing statements one can “give” another! Thank you for sharing!!
    Karen Jolly recently posted…Four Steps to L.E.A.P.My Profile

8. Usha Menon

January 25, 2014 at 10:42 am

TRUST is a very meaningful and deep word. When someone trusts you it means an implicit faith in you As far as I have understood you , you are a very frank and noble lady with no prejudices. Such people are trustworthy.Wish you all the best.
    Usha Menon recently posted…Some times the heart sees what the eyes cannotMy Profile

9. Richa Singh

January 25, 2014 at 10:50 am

You know Vidya, I read your posts in mornings. Especially weekends. They are so bright and fresh. Reading them makes me feel loved, belonged and more important not alone in this world. Your stories connect with me at levels I cannot begin to describe.. it is like someone is rewriting my own life with perhaps a dab of their own addons.

*Hugs*

Richa Singh recently posted…Am I very late?-Part 21My Profile

10. Betsy/Zen Mama

January 25, 2014 at 10:58 am

I just love the your quote: Compliments are like verbal sunshine! May I borrow it sometime? Lovely post! I couldn’t agree more about the words “I trust you”. Wish we were talking about it together on your rooftop terrace!
    Cheers!
    Betsy/Zen Mama recently posted…Be Inspired by Two Inspirational VideosMy Profile

11. Proactive Indian

January 25, 2014 at 11:43 am

It’s good you ran away, even better that you came back, best that everybody welcomed you with open arms, figuratively and literally!

‘I trust you’ is the best compliment anybody can receive. I’ve received it from many persons, some in these very words, some in different words, and some by action. For example, some years back, a few persons whom I had given ‘Pink Slips’ the previous year telephoned me and wished me ‘Happy New Year!’ I was happy for them that they had been able to move on after putting the bad experience behind them, happy for myself that they had so much regard for me, and happy for all of us that we could have such wonderful relationships! I’m still in touch with these guys.

Trust is the one mandatory ingredient in any relationship, be it personal, professional, or any other.
    Proactive Indian recently posted…All political parties put together cannot be bigger than our nationMy Profile

12. nabanita

January 25, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Truly! Being trusted is probably the best compliment there is, it encompasses all! Loved the post as always….
    nabanita recently posted…You are wonderful!My Profile

13. Cathy

January 25, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Great post, Vidya. Uplifting and honest as always. We can always “trust” you to write something that touches us all and resonates with a lasting message that stays with us.

14. Cathy

January 25, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Wonderful post as always, Vidya. Touching and true. We can always TRUST you to write something that resonates and gives us a good message that we can apply to our own lives.
    Cathy recently posted…People Not PresentsMy Profile

• Vidya Sury

January 25, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Thank you, Cathy! How sweet of you to say that! Hugs!

15. Julie Barrett

January 25, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Hi Vidya, Ooh I like this WriteTribe business. I will have to go visit everyone who linked up! I’m thinking on any compliments I may have received, hmmm. I will be sure to go dole a bunch out :)
    Julie Barrett recently posted…The Answer Is Because It Doesn’t Belong There!My Profile

16. Cher @ Designs by Studio C

January 25, 2014 at 7:09 pm

I think you are right – I trust you can be a better compliment than I love you! And by the way, I DO trust you!!
    Cher recently posted…Build a Rustic BenchMy Profile

17. Anyta

January 25, 2014 at 7:37 pm

You are truly blessed.

18. Joy

January 25, 2014 at 9:59 pm

I love this, Vidya! Trust is such a precious gift so to be trusted is an honor. I love that your young neighbors trust you for school projects/last minute supplies – my kids do as well and that cracks me up – but, somehow whatever unique supply they need is do-able. As I read,I wonder what if we each had this utter trust in Source and flow? How that might change the quality and feel of some moments!

• Vidya Sury

January 25, 2014 at 11:39 pm

Hugs, Joy! Trust is a tough one and therefore a privilege to receive. You know how the quote goes – trust takes a long time to build, sometimes a lifetime and just a nanosecond to lose.

If we each had trust in Source and Flow, Happiness would rush forward to meet us! We would appreciate every moment more and worry less!

Love you!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…I Trust YouMy Profile

19. Kaarina Dillabough

January 25, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Well, I could add many more compliments my friend, but trust is a bond that is sacred, and a true compliment. The highest tribute I get paid is when people say to me “you never judge”. It makes me happy to have others realize that I do not sit in judgment of them. Cheers! Kaarina
    Kaarina Dillabough recently posted…Is What You’re Doing Getting You The Results You Want?My Profile

• Vidya Sury

January 25, 2014 at 10:47 pm

Dear Kaarina,I would endorse that. If I had to make a top 20 list of my favorite people, you are in the top 10. :-)You are one of the most amazing persons I know – and I am honored you are my friend! Hugs! :)
      Vidya Sury recently posted…I Trust YouMy Profile

20. Lea Bullen

January 25, 2014 at 11:39 pm

I think the best compliments are ones that reflect who you are as a person. Ones that speak to your personal traits.

I think the best one I received was that I was not judgemental.
    Lea Bullen recently posted…Transform Negativity to Positive ResultsMy Profile

21. Aditi

January 25, 2014 at 11:47 pm

Lovely post Vidya! Trust you to spread such warmth n sunshine while I sit here in my bed in this damp winter! Hugs :)
    Aditi recently posted…Your eyesMy Profile

22. LindySez

January 26, 2014 at 6:36 am

Every time my son “screwed” up while he was growing, I always told him that…”I trust you, you will figure it out” and now at 21 he is showing me to be right. Maybe it was the words that stuck with him? FOR ME, simply YOU CAN DO IT are the best words I ever heard…
    LindySez recently posted…White Winter Vegetable Soup with Blue Cheese CroutonsMy Profile

23. Rainbow Hues

January 26, 2014 at 1:27 pm

You know I am proud to share that I have been complimented with ‘I trust you’ a lot of times as well….and I am so proud of my integrity.

This post, like always reflects on the kind of person that you are Vidya…am I glad to have crossed paths with you in blogosphere. Thanks!
    Rainbow Hues recently posted…The ArtisteMy Profile

24. Corinne Rodrigues

January 26, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Why am I not surprised, Vidya? You are one of those persons who will go above and beyond for family, friends and even strangers and I’m glad that you’re back in my circle! ♥
    Recalling another 26th January, 7 years ago, with smiles.
    Corinne Rodrigues recently posted…Compliments: Turn The Light Back OnMy Profile

25. Jessica

January 26, 2014 at 11:36 pm

The best compliment I’ve ever received? I think that was the time that a blog reader told me that my words in a post “changed her life.” That was amazing.
    Jessica recently posted…Walking a 5k While Pregnant + Focusing on The Bigger Picture of ParenthoodMy Profile

26. S(t)ri

January 27, 2014 at 10:44 am

Hey, I read the prompts that you post for Write Tribe and some of your posts are really inspiring. I might be a little busy and wouldn’t have complimented you right. Today the national compliment day has given me a chance to compliment you and you are a really inspiring writer. :)
    S(t)ri recently posted…Celebrate National Compliment Day – Write Tribe PromptMy Profile

27. Psych Babbler

January 27, 2014 at 11:47 am

That’s a lovely compliment…it tells a lot about your character for people to be able to tell you that. :)
    Psych Babbler recently posted…Words mean so muchMy Profile

28. Shailaja V

January 27, 2014 at 5:10 pm

I came across your blog via Write Tribe and Tulika, over at obsessivemom. Really glad that I did. You have a way with words and I can visualize every stage of trust that you’ve outlined above. You’re blessed, Vidya.Keep writing and inspiring.

On a lighter note, where do you stay? I could do with the help on the ‘school projects’. :)
    Shailaja V recently posted…Compliments : How they enrich usMy Profile

• Vidya Sury

January 27, 2014 at 5:14 pm

:D Welcome Shailaja! What a wonderful thing to say! Thank you so much.

:-) I live in Bangalore

29. vishalbheeroo

January 28, 2014 at 5:49 pm

I just received a compliment from my former boss & mentor for a piece I wrote on Nirbhaya..Vishal, I’m so proud of u::) It gave me such a high that I was convinced nothing shall go wrong now and amazing things will unfurl. Vidya-ji ur such a wonderful human being and hugs to u for taking bold steps in your 20s.
    vishalbheeroo recently posted…Global passportMy Profile

30. Robert

January 28, 2014 at 7:24 pm

Hi Vidja – that’s a wonderful blog post and I also trust you that whenever I visit your blog I find something interesting, inspiring, moving, uplifting… Thanks a lot.
    Robert recently posted…9 Energy Vibrations To Completely Transform your LifeMy Profile

31. Sheela

January 29, 2014 at 11:27 am

sometimes we want to compliment someone, but look for a suitable occasion….. here comes the Compliment day when I can’t stop admiring Corinne and you for bringing the blogging community together through various writing exercises and prompts….Thanks a lot WRITE TRIBE…
    Sheela recently posted…Compliment – an expression of loveMy Profile

32. Pratikshya Mishra

February 1, 2014 at 8:00 am

Trust is really one of the most precious things. To have one’s trust means a lot. Indeed this is a compliment to remember….
    Pratikshya Mishra recently posted…The Mirror GirlMy Profile

33. Pratibha

February 4, 2014 at 3:17 pm

There can be nothing bigger than trust! Loved reading the post. And you ran away? I can’t get myself to believe that!
    Pratibha recently posted…Homemade Body Scrubs – 4 easy recipesMy Profile