#AtoZChallenge The Red Carpet

Juliet, Jemima

Juliet haiku

It is J, Day 10 of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge. Today, I am honored to have my partner on Team Damyanti, Jemima Pett. a writer from England who is blogging from A to Z for the Challenge.

Jemima PettJemima writes the Princelings of the East fantasy series for 12 year olds and up, and is currently working on a scifi book that has emerged from the Flash Fiction she blogs on Fridays. Please follow Jemima’s haikus and other posts at her blog http://jemimapett.com. She’s running a Giveaway on her blog all through the A to Z Challenge to celebrate the release of her latest book, Bravo Victor.

Follow Jemima on Twitter @jemima_pett and like her Facebook page http://facebook.com/princelings. She is on Goodreads, Google+ and Pinterest as Jemima Pett.

Welcome, Jemima! So happy to have you here today!

A Haiku for Juliet

by Jemima Pett

Ten days into the challenge and I expect you’ve met some haikus already. A verse form with 5 syllables, 7 syllables, then 5 again, it’s very strict. I expect a pure haiku should be more poetic, but many bloggers use them for anything. I do topical ones on Tuesdays. I know two bloggers who start each book review with a haiku, either the review itself or as a summary then their review in narrative. Here’s my offering for today’s J – Juliet.

Juli’s pa says “No!
Romeo’s a Montague!”
It all ends in tears.

Juliet, of course, is a Capulet; she sees Romeo, falls in love and the two of them have to fight off the prejudice against each other’s families. Prejudice was obviously rife in Shakespeare’s day. Class wars and xenophobia, mainly, but the theme has been used evermore – scholars may advise me it was in use before. In Shakespeare’s time it was common to have girls of good families betrothed as young as six.

What I didn’t realise until I read Hilary Mantel’s Bring Up the Bodies recently, that betrothal was as good as marriage, even if they lived in their own family homes still. There is a long passage where Thomas Cromwell has to ensure that Anne Boleyn was never married to her suitor even though they were betrothed when she was eight. When actresses play Juliet as a twelve year-old, maybe we are being naive, yet the issue is more about the girl’s choice, a young girl falling in love for the first time – with the wrong boy.

My favourite Romeo and Juliet interpretation is West Side Story. Young love. Sigh! Does it always end it tears?

Rose On Wood BW

Thank you Jemima!

Let’s visit my dear friends and TeamDamyanti mates today!

Csenge ZalkaThe Multicolored Diary

Anna Tan – Deeply Shallow

Mary Wallace Homeless Chronicles in Tampa

WriterlySam
    April 11, 2014 at 12:24 am

This was awesome, Jemima! *waves to Vidya* One of my favorite reimaginings of this tragic tale is Stacey Jay’s “Juliet Immortal” and “Romeo Redeemed”!

WriterlySam
    Echoes of Olympus
    A to Z #TeamDamyanti
    WriterlySam recently posted…Architects of Illusion (Echoes of Olympus, #1): HearthstoneMy Profile

Jemima Pett
      April 11, 2014 at 2:20 am

Thanks, Sam! I liked Romanoff and Juliet too, which I’d forgotten about till I researched this post!
      Jemima Pett recently posted…I is for IndiaMy Profile

Jayanta Tewari
    April 11, 2014 at 12:41 am

Jemima Pett visited my page today and I have started following her.
    Thanks for the wonderful post with the introductions and the haikus..
    Jayanta Tewari recently posted…J for Joy – Enjoy the little things in lifeMy Profile

Proactive Indian
    April 11, 2014 at 8:21 am

That was a nice haiku, Jemima!
    “Does it always end it tears?” Most of the classic romances from all over the world have ended in tears. I wonder why.
    Proactive Indian recently posted…Jai Jawan, Jai KisanMy Profile

Usha Menon
    April 11, 2014 at 10:17 am

Wow Jemina this so captivating!!
    Usha Menon recently posted…Jagan Nath Puri Rath YatraMy Profile

Corinne Rodrigues
    April 11, 2014 at 10:20 am

I enjoyed this, Jemima.
    I think the same betrothal idea held true for Joseph and Mary – the parents of Jesus. 🙂
    Corinne Rodrigues recently posted…My Happiness Project – March & AprilMy Profile

Beloo Mehra
    April 11, 2014 at 3:11 pm

This was an enjoyable read! And informative too with regard to some of the customs/practices in Shakespeare’s time. Thanks Jemima. There have been many adaptations of Romeo and Juliet in Hindi cinema too, in fact there was one as recent as few months ago, which I haven’t seen and probably will not. But yes, West Side Story was a good one!
    Beloo Mehra recently posted…J is for Joy, Joy of DiscoveryMy Profile

S(t)ri
    April 11, 2014 at 3:55 pm

I am catching up with all your post today and I am glad to read this first.. A haiku… something I adore!!
    S(t)ri recently posted…Escape to Happiness!!!My Profile

nabanita
    April 11, 2014 at 3:56 pm

I have never attempted any haiku but after this challenge I’m seriously considering trying…And loved this one on Romeo and Juliet…Sadly in India many love stories end tragically and are constant reminders, infact sad reminders of Shakespeare’s classic…
    nabanita recently posted…J is for JealousMy Profile

April 11, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Naba, I think you’ll be very good at writing haiku! :)Loved your post for J today!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Juliet, JemimaMy Profile

Jemima Pett
      April 11, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Oh, do try, Naba. I wrote one in 2005, then a couple more in 2007… and now I do them at least weekly! It’s so easy to miscount the syllables, though 5-7-5.

I started with one,
      but now I do them weekly.
      You must just practice! 🙂
      Jemima Pett recently posted…J for Juliet and Flash Fiction FridayMy Profile

Shilpa Garg
    April 11, 2014 at 5:57 pm

I am in awe of people who can convey so much in so few a words in their Haikus! Really hats of them. And thank you, Jemima for sharing that wonderful one on Juliet! 🙂
    Shilpa Garg recently posted…J is for JestMy Profile

Jemima Pett
      April 11, 2014 at 7:16 pm

It’s definitely a matter of practice, Shilpa. Somtimes they come easily, sometimes I throw many first lines away. Quite often I get a good first line that ends up as the last one 🙂
      Jemima Pett recently posted…J for Juliet and Flash Fiction FridayMy Profile

My Inner Chick
    April 11, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Superb Haiku!

Short. Sweet. Says it all!

xx
    My Inner Chick recently posted…The Sun Shines Differently Without YouMy Profile

Damyanti
    April 11, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Vidya and Jemima, two ladies I love, and a stunning haiku. What’s not to like? 🙂
    Damyanti recently posted…#atozchallenge : J is for Journaling #writing #fiction #quotesMy Profile

Sreeja Praveen
    April 11, 2014 at 10:12 pm

Aha !! An ode to the bard’s story 🙂 What the bard told in a 1000 words, you’ve squeezed beautifully into a haiku 🙂 lovely Jemima 🙂 🙂
    Sreeja Praveen recently posted…A to Z Random Post # 11 – Just another day !My Profile

Shailaja V
    April 11, 2014 at 11:49 pm

Isn’t it strange that we tend to remember every detail of a good tragedy more than a good romance? I think it is because of the variety in it and the penmanship of the writer counts, of course. Your haiku was beautiful, Jemima!
    Shailaja V recently posted…Joking through LifeMy Profile

April 12, 2014 at 11:08 am

Thanks for visiting, Shailaja! There’s always so much more to a tragedy than the perfectly happy ending!

Jemima Pett
      April 12, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Yes, the one leaves as a cream cake – the other leaves us wanting more!
      Jemima Pett recently posted…K is for Kilo – and a book reviewMy Profile

Chrys Fey
    April 12, 2014 at 4:42 am

I think young love is meant to end in tears because we’re so fragile and naive. It’s impossible to have a broken heart at any age and not shed a tear.

Your haiku, Jemima, is brilliant!

April 12, 2014 at 11:05 am

Isn’t it! Thank you Chrys! 🙂

Jemima Pett
      April 12, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Spot on, Chrys – and broken hearts take longer to recover when you’re older, I find – just like other broken things.

Thanks for commenting!
      Jemima Pett recently posted…K is for Kilo – and a book reviewMy Profile

The Sunday Visitor
    April 12, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Romeo and Juliet’s will always remain the ultimate love story
    The Sunday Visitor recently posted…K is for Knight in Shining Armor.My Profile

Michelle Wallace
    April 21, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Ah, Romeo and Juliet… I love this Shakespeare story… and always think of the balcony scene…
    I haven’t written a haiku in ages, yet I love this poetry form! Succinct.
    I must pop over to say hello to Jemima as soon as I get a chance…
    Michelle Wallace recently posted…P is for Pop-Up BookMy Profile