travel

Mauritius. Getaway for a Perfect Family Holiday

Mauritius Vidya Sury

Summer vacations begin next week and we’re busy exploring places to go. Mauritius is on the shortlist, among others. Then I thought, oh, the perfect Sunday post!

So Mauritius isn’t exactly a ‘hidden gem’, but, its location, stranded comfortably in the Indian Ocean, just east of Madagascar, is secluded, ideal for those seeking a peaceful getaway, somewhere warm and different. Mauritius is a beach paradise that offers a relaxing vacation known for its magnificent sunshine, good food, hospitable people and diverse culture among other things, making it, potentially, the trip of a lifetime.

Mauritius Vidya Sury

In the North

Grand Bay sits in the northern reaches and, usually featured on postcards and promotional images, is a sublime scene, picture-perfect in every way. It’s recently been renovated into something more suitable for tourists, home to leisure centers, bars and restaurants.

The Balaclava Ruins are well-worth a visit, a run-down house that was prevalent centuries ago when Mauritius was under French control. Keeping with the French connection, the Market of Port-Louis is an eclectic destination, featuring lines of stalls selling arts, crafts, foodstuffs as well as exotic treats and surprises, certainly worth a look-in.

In the West

Again, beaches are a strong part of the attraction here and Tamarin Beach is considered one of the best. Sit, relax, read a book or get up and make use of the excellent surf in the area, ride the waves and visit the baby dolphin pod, perfect for families to do something special together.

This area of the island nation houses Flic en Flac, a whimsically named fishing village which, like Grand Bay, has expanded thanks to an abundance of tourism. There are beaches to enjoy and the clear waters in the area promote the opportunity to go scuba-diving, another exceptional activity, perfect for families wishing to do something off the beaten track.

Other things to do in Mauritius

Adrenaline junkies will want to head straight for Grand Baie, a developed destination and bay great for wind-surfing, rock-climbing and whatever else you may desire. Away from the coast, the innards of Mauritius offer safari treks through the reserves (Yemen, on the western coast, is one of the more renowned) and Black River Gorge Park is a challenging hike, but, the scenic views and natural beauty are entirely rewarding.

Mauritius is diverse and culturally exceptional, not stapling itself to any particular way of thinking. It welcomes everyone with open arms and offers a beautifully packaged holiday, suitable for beach-dwellers, perfect for thrill-seekers and a must-visit for anyone looking for a well-earned, relaxing break.

Or so a couple of friends who’ve been there tell me. So now we’ve told the Universe.

Where are you headed this summer?

Have you been to Mauritius?

Would love to hear about your experience!

Linking to Sundays in My City with the gorgeous Unknown Mami, who has my heart firmly in her grip. World Travel has never been easier.

Have a great week ahead! ♥

Marie Abanga
    April 27, 2014 at 10:18 am

Wow, never knew this much of Mauritius.

Hope to add that to my bucket list 🙂 something like a once in a life’s time opportunity 🙂

Aside, are you out there already on summer break? Ours start in June

Cheers, Marie
    Marie Abanga recently posted…Life LessonsMy Profile

April 27, 2014 at 10:23 am

Almost, Marie! My son’s school’s summer break starts on May 3 for 50 days. It is a nice to to travel and see places. Last year we had a wonderful time in Canada. This year, we’re hoping to see the Andaman Islands or Mauritius. 🙂 Let’s see what works out!

🙂 Thank you for visiting.
      Vidya Sury recently posted…WritingMy Profile

Aditi
    April 27, 2014 at 11:53 am

Go go go!! Vidya Mauritius is enchanting… Had gone there for our honeymoon! Ah you refreshed some lovely memories! Fabulous start to Sunday! 🙂 Love
    Aditi recently posted…Umber MothMy Profile

Romi
    April 27, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Mauritius sounds like a wonderful place to visit. I have never been there, and I wish I could spend a few weeks in a place like that.

Have a wonderful week.
    Romi recently posted…Thunberg’s meadowsweetMy Profile

Romi
    April 27, 2014 at 6:21 pm

Mauritius sounds like a very good place to visit. I have never been there, and I wish I could spend a few weeks in a beautiful place like that.

Have a wonderful week.
    Romi recently posted…Thunberg’s meadowsweetMy Profile

Judy
    April 27, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Now I want to visit.

BLOGitse
    April 27, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Never been but now my travel toe is itching!
    We’re going for a weekend to Paris in May – my first time.
    Most of the summer we’ll be in Finland – it’s so beautiful here then!
    BLOGitse recently posted…tea for twoMy Profile

Leovi
    April 27, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Nice place, yes, I also like to be there, beautiful photos!

Tara R.
    April 27, 2014 at 8:19 pm

So many amazing photos! Mauritius looks so relaxing, yet still exciting.
    Tara R. recently posted…Spring in bloomMy Profile

Star Traci
    April 27, 2014 at 8:36 pm

I’ve never been but now it is on my life list! How beautiful!
    🙂
    Traci
    Star Traci recently posted…Sundays in My City #99 – KidzBopMy Profile

Shailaja V
    April 27, 2014 at 11:23 pm

I almost went to Mauritius for my honeymoon, then settled on Coorg 😉 No complaints, though, since I loved my week there. Sigh, this goes on my long-term plan though…
    Shailaja V recently posted…There’s always a ReasonMy Profile

Claudya
    April 28, 2014 at 10:00 am

It sounds like a perfect getaway spot. We have some short weekend trips planned this summer.
    Claudya recently posted…DogFest 2014 (Sundays In My City)My Profile

simple girl
    April 28, 2014 at 10:16 am

the place sounds cool.. Summer vacations are such bliss 🙂
    simple girl recently posted…AtoZchallenge -W for whole wheat onion paratha…My Profile

Cinella
    April 29, 2014 at 12:15 am

That looks amazing! So full of color. thanks for sharing. Hope you have a great week.
    Visiting from SIMC
    Cinella @ The Mami Blog
    Cinella recently posted…Menu Plan Monday – EnjoyableMy Profile

April 29, 2014 at 8:55 am

I have never been and it sounds so beautiful and looks tranquil even though one can do adventures! If all goes well my best friend and I are travelling to visit Jimmy Stewart’s home town and Lucille Ball’s home town. Looking forward to this
    Birgit recently posted…X for Francis X Bushman-Yup a Little cheatMy Profile