#AtoZChallenge personal development

Value of Values

values vidya sury 2

What comes to mind when you see the word “Values”? All the qualities that one ought to have, to be liked by people, to lead a fulfilling and successful life, right? Today, I’d like to share a leaf from my training notebook, something which formed part of the introductory session for freshers to ease them into a rather rigorous sales training program. We believed that without personal values, no profession can bring you success.

Here are some definitions we used:

Value: Creativity
Out of the box proactive thinking, striving to come up with innovative solutions

Value: Courage
Being ready to explore the unknown and not allowing fear to stop them

Value: Open mindedness
Open to new perspectives without jumping into conclusions, ability to look at things objectively and from all angles

Value: Leaning towards learning
Eagerness to learn new things both at the work place and out of it

Value: Perseverance
Not giving up even when there are hurdles

Value: Curiosity
Whole-heartedly enthusiastic about exploring and discovering new things

Value: Kindness
Showing compassion towards others, ready to be helpful

Value: Empathy
Being sensitive to others’ feelings, thoughts and experiences

Value: Family
Valuing family togetherness and bonding

Value: Integrity
Sticking to personal principles to do what is ethically and morally right

Value: Fairness
Being unbiased and impartial

Value: Humility
Keeping the ego in check and being modest

Value: Gratitude
Counting one’s blessings and never forgetting to thank others

Value: Humor
Seeing the lighter side of things

Value: Love
Connecting with the heart

Value: Honesty
Not being afraid to tell the truth, be authentic and genuine

Value: Forgiveness
Accepting others’ shortcomings and being ready to give them a second chance.

values vidya sury 3

Personal values make life worth living and as one of my teachers was fond of saying, are the keys to success. Values also motivate, enable us live a life of purpose, bringing more focus and more possibilities. Aligning personal and professional values is the way to go as they become our life template. If they are not aligned, life becomes tough, dissatisfying and miserable. Obviously. One cannot aspire to be a bank robber and think one can save the world, right? Zero alignment.

Do you agree?

Do you believe values help you gain real clarity about what you stand for?

Please share in the comments.

My gratitude goes out to each one of you who visits and comments ♥

Today, we’ll visit

Rajlakshmi Destiny’s Child

Archana Melange

Day 22 of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge

V for the Value of Values

Values vidya sury

Proactive Indian
    April 25, 2014 at 6:44 am

Of course, values help every person gain real clarity about what (s)he stands for.

It is extremely important to align personal and professional values. It is even more important to align one’s thoughts and deeds with one’s stated values. In other words, ‘Think the talk and walk the talk.”
    Proactive Indian recently posted…Value of workMy Profile

Mary Stephenson
    April 25, 2014 at 7:03 am

Hi Vidya

Very well put. Your listing of values is the perfect way to live. Unfortunately so many do forget and wonder why things become chaotic. For what you put out you attract back.

Mary
    Mary Stephenson recently posted…My Final Post and The Reason WhyMy Profile

Sreeja Praveen
    April 25, 2014 at 8:08 am

A great list of values, Vidya ! And the best part being, the list can never be limited…it keeps overflowing with more and more values… I expected this from you, so V for Values is no surprise from V for Vidya 🙂

Particularly loved the definition you’ve given for Gratitude and Love. Love is indeed connecting with the heart !!! 🙂
    love and hugs !

And I’m smiling, so collect it now 🙂 😀
    Sreeja Praveen recently posted…A to Z Random Post # 22 V – Victory !My Profile

Marie Abanga
    April 25, 2014 at 10:54 am

Hi Vidiya,

It’s been a while I last visited you. Wow, we have both had the same Letter on two other ocassions and today on Values again? 🙂

Yours is more extensive and beautiful. Thanks for all and do hop over when you have a second
    Marie Abanga recently posted…A Strong Woman by June WhittleMy Profile

April 25, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Marie! So nice to see you here. I loved your post today where you shared June’s words! Thank you. Here’s wishing you a great time in London and a fabulous time with June!
      Hugs!

Vidya
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Value of ValuesMy Profile

usha menon
    April 25, 2014 at 11:36 am

Your post on values is very valuable. The list of values, if people follow them, will make life worthy and and positive. Mahatma Gandhi’s quotation is a valuable reminder to each one of us.

Sandra Pawula
    April 25, 2014 at 1:29 pm

I agree wholeheartedly that values are the essence of life. It’s intriguing that you actually received this in business training!
    Sandra Pawula recently posted…10 Ways I Embraced Simplicity and You Can TooMy Profile

April 25, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Thank you, Sandra! When I was a trainee, there was a introductory talk about values. But when I became a Trainer, I made it into a full module with role-play situations. The results were amazing. 🙂 Hugs!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…NaturalMy Profile

Beloo Mehra
    April 25, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Who am I to deny the value of Values? 🙂 And I like very much that quote about growing flowers vs. growing weeds. But sometimes when I go in my little garden or a much larger garden elsewhere, I find myself getting intrigued by the teeny-tiny beautiful flowers growing on what may be called as weeds. Why we call some plants as plants and others as weeds – seeking an answer for this might in itself be a value, I think. No? I apologize if I am totally going on a tangent here…I’ll blame it on that quote 🙂 A very good post, I like the crispness of your presentation.
    Beloo Mehra recently posted…V is for View, Indian View of LifeMy Profile

April 25, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Beloo, believe it or not, it is the same question that lives in my mind – why some plants are weeds and others are plants. The context is: weeds, no matter how pretty they look, do not allow what ought to grow, grow. 🙂 Just like some human beings are destructive and others, helpful. Still, like you, I feel a little bad for those beautiful flowers labeled as weeds. The good thing is, weeds are necessary so others may shine. So,they do have value. Great value. Hugs! I love that you shared your view!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Value of ValuesMy Profile

KP
    April 25, 2014 at 2:27 pm

That is a wonderful collection of values.It is the values cherished that define a man or woman.One may not possess all of them but that should be the goal.
    KP recently posted…One person’s relief is another’s agonyMy Profile

April 25, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Thank you Mr.KP. 🙂 Learning values is a lifelong endeavor. Practice, even more!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Puns and ParodiesMy Profile

nabanita
    April 25, 2014 at 2:39 pm

So true..for some reason I want to jot down what I believe in, values maybe and just introspect…Thanks Vidya for this
    nabanita recently posted…V is for ViolatedMy Profile

Meena Menon
    April 25, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Indeed the values we learn in childhood are the ones taht remain in life
    Meena Menon recently posted…Veena……My Profile

elixired
    April 25, 2014 at 5:31 pm

The line about flowers and weeds is playing on my mind again and again. Either we can be selfish and live and prosper at the cost of others or we can grow on our own and enrich the world with the fruits of our wisdom/hard work. I enjoyed the read. I agree with you word by word about values. They certainly give us a focus. A human is not human without humanity, compassion- which are the foremost values.

Be them personal values, family values or a few traditional values- they have helped me in gaining a clarity about what I stand for. I certainly know why I follow what I follow. I feel because of these values people respect us as individuals… Isn’t it?
    elixired recently posted…Voila Men!My Profile

Obsessivemom
    April 25, 2014 at 11:33 pm

Loved Beloo’s observation and your reply too Vidya. This was such a wonderful post. As mums we focus on so many many trivial things stressing on them till we go quite crazy. Here’s a list we truly need to focus on – a list of values. Thanks for putting it all down so succinctly.
    Obsessivemom recently posted…V is for Vikram SethMy Profile

April 26, 2014 at 7:06 am

Oh how much I enjoyed reading this and every one of your posts. They are inspiring and these values are so true and I try, each day, to live by the grace of these virtues. Ghandi’s words are so relevant for today. I think of my clients who have developed bad habits in spending (buying 3 to 7 coffees per day and having a debt load of $50,000)and wish for them a path that will, in the long run, be easier even if it is not immediate. You made me smile and feel great-thank you
    Birgit recently posted…V for Rudolph ValentinoMy Profile

April 26, 2014 at 8:23 am

Hugs, Birgit! thank you! What a beautiful comment. You make my heart sing!

Shailaja V
    April 26, 2014 at 10:06 am

Values are those that shape our destiny. This is something I heartily endorse. Without values, we would be no distinct from another. Our values shape our core individuality. Thank you for that reminder on Values, Vidya 🙂

And I wrote on Value too 😀
    Shailaja V recently posted…Learning the ValueMy Profile

Debbie
    April 26, 2014 at 10:44 am

More businesses should offer this type of training. The company I used to work for was fairly unscrupulous in many ways and that definitely conflicted with my personal values. Everyone has their own code of ethics and without them, there would be chaos. Excellent quote from Ghandi.
    Debbie recently posted…#AtoZChallenge: “W” is for WINEMy Profile

Rajlakshmi
    April 26, 2014 at 4:25 pm

These are some of the qualities that we were taught at home. It gives kind of warm feeling to read about it 🙂 I try hard to ingrain these in my personality. This is something that should be taught since childhood.

Thank you so much for the mention 🙂 I feel so honoured 🙂
    Rajlakshmi recently posted…The Watch AlertMy Profile

Cathy Graham
    April 26, 2014 at 6:42 pm

Wonderful post, Vidya. I should post those values somewhere. They are so great. If someone follows them, they have no choice but to do well in life. Thanks for yet another thought provoking and helpful post. You always give us lots to think about.

Cathy Graham recently posted…W is for Writer’s BlockMy Profile

Susan Scott
    April 27, 2014 at 6:50 pm

How valuable to list them and show how to apply them in life the way you have Vidya. Thank you.
    Susan Scott recently posted…W – Wheel & WeightMy Profile

Aparna
    April 28, 2014 at 10:45 am

One of the best article so far … Thanks a lot Vidyaji

Michelle Wallace
    April 28, 2014 at 3:22 pm

I love that poster quote about growing flowers as opposed to growing weeds… beautiful in its simplicity!
    Michelle Wallace recently posted…W is for WallbookMy Profile

djortner
    April 29, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Thanks for the uplifting post.
    djortner recently posted…Y is for You can Find Your Ancestors on FamilySearch.orgMy Profile

Loni Townsend
    May 2, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Wonderful collection of values. I hope to pass along the importance of all of those to my children.
    Loni Townsend recently posted…Featured Photo FridayMy Profile