Encouragement Inspiration

After A While

after a while

Some days are just good to enjoy and go with the flow.

Today, I have a lovely poem by Veronica A. Shoffstall titled “After A While”

She first published it in her college yearbook in 1971. The imagery in her poem is beautiful and signifies hope, encouragement, looking within and finding your strength.

It is a beautiful poem.

After A While

by Veronica A. Shoffstall

After a while you learn the subtle difference
between holding a hand and chaining a soul
And you learn that love doesn’t mean leaning
and company doesn’t mean security.
And you begin to learn that kisses aren’t contracts
and presents aren’t promises
And you begin to accept your defeats
with your head up and your eyes ahead
with the grace of a woman, not the grief of a child
And you learn to build all your roads on today
because tomorrow’s ground is too uncertain for plans
and futures have a way of falling down in mid-flight.

After a while you learn that even sunshine burns
if you get too much.

So you plant your own garden and decorate your own soul
instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.

And you learn that you really can endure
that you really are strong
and that you really do have worth
And you learn and you learn
with every goodbye you learn…

after a while

Isn’t it beautiful? I am learning that I do not need to get stressed over the things I cannot do. If, when I go to bed at night, I can smile, it is enough. There is no need to cram more than I can manage in a day’s schedule.

I am learning that letting go is good for my soul.

I have learned that I must always make time to smell the flowers. I am.

After a while

Debbie
    August 9, 2014 at 4:01 am

Lovely poem, indeed! 🙂
    “I have learned that I must always make time to smell the flowers. I am.”
    Right on! Have a good weekend, Vidya.
    Debbie recently posted…FROM NATURE – PHOTO FRIDAYMy Profile

August 9, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Wonderful poem that gets to the heart of the matter. The present is what we know at this instant and we do need to appreciate the small things that we have done and smile…always smile:) I do mean that as we forget how pretty even a dandelion is
    Birgit recently posted…Santa, a Cowboy and a Blond = stupid…for the IWSGMy Profile

Laurel Regan
    August 10, 2014 at 2:45 am

Beautiful and meaningful poem, Vidya – thank you so much for sharing it. It’s a great reminder!
    Laurel Regan recently posted…A Recommendation: MyFitnessPalMy Profile

richmiraclefiles
    August 10, 2014 at 11:53 am

Hi vidya,
    Thanks for sharing such lovely poetry,evocative of so much hope and strength.
    To me it signifies the spirit of resilience that every one of us possesses in enormous measure.
    It really is filled with strong imagery drawing on the ever present silver lining on each cloud.
    Thanks
    richmiraclefiles recently posted…The Parameters of Gro-Pro QuestionsMy Profile

Aditi
    August 10, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Lovely poem…sharing this!
    Aditi recently posted…Chapter 6 – Of Few Revelations and Continuing MysteriesMy Profile

Christopher James
    August 10, 2014 at 7:40 pm

I agree. It’s a beautiful, heartfelt poem.

Proactive Indian
    August 16, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Beautiful message! We’ve all read and/or heard the same message in the same or different words many times before, but every time we read it, we love it! Unfortunately, many, maybe most, of us don’t practise it! 🙁
    Proactive Indian recently posted…‘Imported’ is always better?My Profile