Routines, A Blessing

By  |  17 Comments

With the rush, rush, rush everyone seems to be in, it is hard to find that “me” time we all crave for, those minutes that make us happy. But you know what? It is not the Holy Grail. There are plenty of people who not only get their stuff done, but also manage to find the time to do the things that they plan to do – could be anything from watching that movie, coffee with a friend, curling up in that cozy sofa and reading that book. You won’t hear them whining about the “too much to do – too little time”.

Each one of us has the same 24 hours in a day – we enjoy a guaranteed credit of $86,400 every day .

How do some people manage their time so well?

The secret is – setting a routine and following it.

I know there are people who scorn routine and classify it as “boring”. They think it kills spontaneity. Truth is, routine is an important ingredient of time management and facilitates it. I’ve learned this several times over. When I carry out our daily and weekly routines, it frees up time while ensuring regular tasks are executed automatically. My mind becomes free, helping me work efficiently.

For example, I now have a routine that involves waking up at 5.30 am, getting the coffee going and then, getting started on preparing breakfast, lunch and planning dinner. Since there is just the three of us, I plan this the day before – I have to, or else how would I have what I need to make everything? I enjoy cramming the cooking into the three hours I have in the morning before everyone leaves at 8 – and this frees up the morning for me to work without interruption. If I allow myself to think that I can tackle the cooking later, it eats into my work time and my entire schedule suffers.

The benefits of having a routine cannot be denied. Routines are known to:

• Contribute to our mental health – simply by lowering our stress levels.
  • Give our days the foundation we need, so we can plan around them.
  • Help us stay focused which means productive

Of course, it is important to be flexible so that any unexpected change can be handled with ease.

Incidentally, I would be the first to agree that some routines may not be beneficial – so sitting back and assessing them is necessary. What we do must be healthy, rewarding and meaningful. Why waste time on things that do not serve a purpose?

The whole idea behind a routine is to help us function smoothly so we don’t miss out on something important even as we make good use of our day.

I am a list person and I begin my day with the list I prepared last night. I try to allocate time to them by prioritizing everything. I try to figure out if I have to do it all myself – or can I outsource?

And I love my routine! If, at the end of the day, when I go to bed, I am satisfied with how the day went and find myself smiling, I am happy!

my amazing routine vidya sury

I know each one of us is different. So I’d like to ask:

Do you have a routine?

Do you enjoy it?

Do you find yourself catching up on missed things often?

I've enabled both Google+ comments + the usual. You choose which to use ♥

1. Laurel Regan

August 24, 2014 at 3:53 am

I have routines, though I do get a little rebellious sometimes and stray from them. I always feel better when I stick with them, though!
    Laurel Regan recently posted…That ship has NOT sailed!My Profile

• Vidya Sury

August 24, 2014 at 10:46 am

Laurel, I am pretty sure you must be well-organized – how else would you get everything done? And yes,it is actually good to slip up once in a while! :-)
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Family, Friends and Family FriendsMy Profile

2. Usha Menon

August 24, 2014 at 10:10 am

Nice reading about your daily planned routine. I was always sure that you are very organised. It is always good to work in a planned manner. I used to be very organised before retirement. Now I am my own master. Now the schedule is not on hourly basis. I decide in the morning what to do day to day.
    Usha Menon recently posted…Pitiable condition of a young girl..My Profile

• Vidya Sury

August 24, 2014 at 10:48 am

How sweet of you to say so, Mrs.Usha! Years of running on a tight schedule has helped me stick to a routine. Even as a little girl, my Mom encouraged me to make a “program for the day” and allocate time to each activity. It has stood me in good stead!

Thank you for dropping by!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Family, Friends and Family FriendsMy Profile

3. Proactive Indian

August 24, 2014 at 10:31 am

Of course, I have my routines!
    Your post covers everything on the subject, so I won’t add more. Just one point: you have stated that “it is important to be flexible so that any unexpected change can be handled with ease.” I’d like to add that one should not get hassled if some routine is missed once in a while. A routine is a means to an end, not an end in itself.
    Proactive Indian recently posted…WhatsApp, not WhatsCrap!My Profile

• Vidya Sury

August 24, 2014 at 10:45 am

Thanks Pro! Yes, that’s what I meant by being “flexible” – when I miss something, I usually move on to the next item without stressing over it. :) Keeps me healthy! The whole idea of a routine is to have direction and purpose!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Organ Donation. A Divine Intervention #WorldOrganDonationDayMy Profile

4. Fab

August 24, 2014 at 12:45 pm

I don’t have a routine yet, but I’m planning to soon, because without one, everything suffers – writing work, housework, family time, reading – everything!!
    Fab recently posted…Review: Omved Daily Night Foot OilMy Profile

5. vishalbheeroo

August 24, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Lovely write up Vidya. I am guilty of that coz there are 1000 things to do in 24 hours which is not enough. Gotta borrow a cue on you how to make things happen more efficiently.
    vishalbheeroo recently posted…In the name of God, losing my religion.My Profile

6. Shalini

August 24, 2014 at 4:29 pm

I don’t have a routine yet- especially because of my 24/7 office working hours. I’m set to making one though. Loved the pic! :)
    Shalini recently posted…Chettinad Tomato RasamMy Profile

7. Sheethal

August 24, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Routines never worked for me. If I plan something it’s likely to go wrong… so these days i tend to go with the flow… :)
    Sheethal recently posted…If I were …My Profile

8. richmiraclefiles

August 24, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Hi Vidya,
    Thanks for that great reminder about living our days well.
    Interestingly each day arrives with about 14000+ minutes packed in it.And its known that if we invest even one percent of this time in study,thinking and planning our lives we would be living far more fulfilling days.That means just fourteen minutes of quiet thinking ,reflecting and planning.
    Yet I’m inspired by that “wake up-be awesome-go back to sleep” thing of yours.
    Thanks
    Mona
    richmiraclefiles recently posted…Fascinating Search;The Power Of MemoriesMy Profile

9. Felicia

August 24, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Just recently I’ve been thinking about overhauling a few of my routines to strive for better balance. Your routine of cooking all of the meals in the morning would definitely be a major help in my household. It will also be a major transition for me, but a transition worth making.

Starting next week everyone goes back to school and work. That’s the perfect time for me to work on the morning cooking routine.

Thanks Vidya, for such a great idea!
    Felicia recently posted…Back to the Drawing BoardMy Profile

• Vidya Sury

August 26, 2014 at 8:54 am

You know, Felicia, when my Mom used to plan and work like clockwork (both of us were going out to work – she was a school teacher) I used to tease her for being so particular. Now I realize why she could afford to smile all the time. She’d keep telling me that there was no point planning to fail by failing to plan. Makes so much sense now. After I cook, I also finish the washing up, so I only need to make tea or coffee in the kitchen. After my husband and son return home from office/school – each one washes up after whatever they use. I send a prayer of gratitude to my Mom for showing me by example!

So happy to see you here. I’d love to know how the new routine works out for you!
      I am loving your posts, you know. :)
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Sand ArtMy Profile

10. Obsessivemom

August 25, 2014 at 8:38 am

Lol… That picture is cute. As for routines… Hurrah! for them. I am a complete routine person. In fact I need to practice flexibility. I absolutely hate it when I have a disruption and much of my day is thrown out of gear. I became a tad better when the twins came along.. Yeah they can mess up a routine like nobody else, yet I have a long way to go to not let change upset me so completely.
    Obsessivemom recently posted…Independence Day at The Book ClubMy Profile

11. Sebastian Aiden Daniels

August 25, 2014 at 11:12 pm

Hehe those racoons made me laugh. I agree that routines are pretty important for most people. I definitely thrive more when I have a somewhat set routine. I do not do well in chaos and stress. It helps me be more productive also : D. Now I need to go to take my medication because I keep forgetting to take it at the same time every day : /.
    Sebastian Aiden Daniels recently posted…The Importance of the Word TimshelMy Profile

• Vidya Sury

August 25, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Tell me about it Sebastian! Which reminds me, I gotta take my meds too. It is such a challenge for me to remember the “before food” medication. I’ve now set an alarm.
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Routines, A BlessingMy Profile

12. Melissa

August 26, 2014 at 4:25 am

I LOVE routines. I do the best when I have one but sometimes feel resistant to keep it. You’ve inspired me to stick to it more! Thanks!
    Melissa recently posted…More Great Results Using Energy HealingMy Profile