And then, pat came the question “If I weren’t a blogger or a writer, how would I spend my days?”
My favorite questions are the ones that begin with “What If”. They help me contemplate different scenarios, fantasize, stretch my wings and attempt to fly.
As I mulled over the question, my first reaction, naturally, was – what?! Not blog or write?
So hard to even visualize a situation like that.
Then I got thinking. If you’ve seen my About Me page, you’ll know what I mean.
What if I wasn’t a blogger or a writer?
How would I spend my days?
Here’s what I would be doing:
- I’d be teaching at Vidur’s school. I love the place and they’re always looking for parent volunteers for variety.
- I’d teach at our local welfare home – the girls need help and they cannot afford paid tuition. Their school education is free.
- I’d cook and regularly feed the homeless in my area.
- I’d volunteer at the local counseling center – lots of people are in need of a listening ear. I’d be happy to provide it.
- I’d work as a freelance trainer – I did have a career in sales/marketing/training before I opted to work from home.
- I would enroll for a course related to clinical trials – as I am a member of an ethics committee that reviews protocols for human clinical trials – and pursued a career there.
- Continue attending language classes – French and Spanish and looked for scope to work as a translator
- Enroll in Tai Chi classes
- I would be writing a book anyway, since that has always been something I wanted to do.
- I would spend more time on my hobbies: quilting, embroidering, tailoring, sketching, painting, making handicrafts.
- I’d convert my garage into a studio for my hobbies.
- I would paint walls – children’s walls with fun scenarios
- I would get into catering food on a small scale.
- If we’d had lots of money, I would travel – all over India and the world. I’ll get to half of it at least – I am saving up! I’d go to all the folk art villages and spend time there, getting to know more about my heritage. I’d go on a temple tour that lasted at least a year.
- There would be days I’d want to watch movies, read books, eat and sleep and be lazy.
- I’d potter around the garden for days on end.
- I’d go around walking with my camera. And take loads of pictures. Okay so I do that already. Only, I’d do it even more often!
I am already doing many of these right now, thanks to the privilege of working from home, but not as much as I would like to!
And oh, I’d certainly spend more time housekeeping. Never seem to get enough time for that. Ha!
For now, I am grateful I am doing what I love and loving what I do!
So what would you do if you weren’t doing what you were doing right now?
Answer your what if question in the comments – I’d love to hear!