Encouragement

Be

Be Vidya Sury atozchallenge

Dear Vidur,

Can you believe I got so stuck with too many words for B that it suddenly occurred to me that “be” would be just fine!

Be” lends itself as a prefix to so many qualities and possibilities, but I won’t go into all those right now. What I will emphasize, though is this:

Be Yourself

Remember one thing only: that it’s you… nobody else… who determines your destiny and decides your fate. Nobody else can be alive for you, nor can you be alive for anyone else. E.E. Cummings

“Is it original?” is something we are all used to asking just before we acquire something. Yet, when it comes to ourselves, we always tend towards that herd mentality, or strive to be “like” someone. Sing like Kishore Kumar. Dress like James Bond. Smile like Madhubala. Okay, I am backing off! Mind you, I named people I really like, but don’t ever do that. It is great to be like someone when it comes to being kind and compassionate – but stop right there. Never use someone else as a yardstick to judge yourself; you would be doing yourself a great injustice. I know you will understand what I am saying.

Comparison is the thief of joy. When we became parents, your Dad and I resolved we would never compare you to someone else or scold you in the presence of others. Or tell you to perform like someone. Okay so we didn’t have to, since you did pretty well! But we wouldn’t have anyway, you know!

I am also smiling right now, when I think about how you function under self-pressure, just like I do. Even during your school years, which – sigh – will soon be behind you, you did not compete with anyone but yourself. You simply did the best you could and you’ve done well so far. I am sure you’ll continue to approach life with the same attitude.

One of my proudest moments was when the results of a competitive exam were out and we found out that you did not get through. Looking up the list showed that your classmate had qualified and you immediately phoned him to congratulate him.

That is the “self” I admire about you.

Always be your gentle, generous self. I love the serenity with which you accept feedback and act on it when you can. I also like the fact that you stand firm by what you believe in.

Be bold enough to use your voice, brave enough to listen to your heart, and strong enough to live the life you’ve always imagined. Unknown

Life will throw you some curve balls when you least expect them, but when you believe in yourself, you’ll find that you can tackle any challenge confidently.

As Lady Gaga says,

Do not allow people to dim your shine because they are blinded. Tell them to put on some sunglasses.

“Be your own best friend” is something your Grandma loved to tell me often. Today, I am happy to pass on her advice to you.

As you go through life, be present in every moment, everything you do.

Sometimes, just be!

The one thing that you have that nobody else has is you. Your voice, your mind, your story, your vision. So write and draw and build and play and dance and live only as you can.

Here is a beautiful poster I admire – you’ll remember that I had it for a long time as my desktop image. I find it very inspiring and I trust you will, too!

Be Vidya Sury

“This above all To thine own self be true”

Your future is waiting to embrace you!

Love and hugs, Blessed to be your Mom

Letters To My Son
April A to Z Challenge 2015: B for Be

B is for Be the change in #LifeHacksForHappiness

B is for Burn 100 in #LifeHacksForDiabetics

BlogHer’s NaBloPoMo April 2015 Theme: Grow

atozandnablopomo

Mary Burris
    April 2, 2015 at 2:27 pm

I love this post! What a great reminder to just BE ourselves!
    Mary Burris recently posted…B is for…My Profile

Susan Scott
    April 2, 2015 at 7:03 pm

Well, my heart is surely melting Vidya thank you so so much. This is so powerful and beautiful. Vidur is blessed to have you both as parents. What a blessed boy – already a fine young man.
    Susan Scott recently posted…Blind Spots in the DreamMy Profile

April 2, 2015 at 8:07 pm

Thank you so much Susan! I feel so happy when he says he enjoyed the day’s letter!

By the way, my IP address is still blocked on your blog and I feel miserable about not being able to visit. Each time I try I get the “Forbidden” message. 🙁 Sigh.
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Orchard House by Tara Austen Weaver Book Review + GiveawayMy Profile

Darla M Sands
    April 2, 2015 at 7:35 pm

Namaste! What a lovely and inspiring post. Best wishes and blessings to you and yours.
    Darla M Sands recently posted…B is for Bald Eagles – An American TreasureMy Profile

Marie
    April 2, 2015 at 9:22 pm

Awesome Vidya!
    Juste Be. Sometime it’s the hardest. But definitely the best advice to give!
    Stay blessed.
    Marie recently posted…If you were there with me…My Profile

Shantala
    April 2, 2015 at 11:21 pm

I don’t know what I liked more. The wonderful inspirational quotes or the BE YOU Poster. But, I am loving these letters you are writing to Vidur, Vidya. He is indeed blessed to have you both as parents. I am bookmarking this one to share with my husband. He is going to enjoy this too. Thank you for sharing 🙂
    Shantala recently posted…To New Beginnings… #AtoZChallenge 2015 @AprilA2ZMy Profile

Debbie D.
    April 3, 2015 at 1:02 am

Applause, applause! Wonderful advice, Vidya. This has always been my mantra too. Love the poster as well. Your son is a lucky young man to have such as mother. 🙂
    Debbie D. recently posted…#AtoZChallenge: B is for BOHEMIANMy Profile

Nicole
    April 3, 2015 at 5:08 am

Isn’t it wonderful how things work out when you decide to just let it BE?! James Bond is the best! Also I love that Lady Gaga quote you mentioned about sunglasses. Being your own best friend is very important to finding happiness and fulfillment, as it’s the first step to most all other undertakings.

Being yourself is easier in theory than it is in practice, given the world’s population being saturated with people that possess a herd mentality and people who have the audacity to try to play God by attacking others for having different opinions or lifestyles or just because they merely are different in terms of background, gender, age, experience, physical appearance, class or creed. It takes a lot of courage for man to be himself in a world that’s trying to make him (or her) something else.

~Nicole
    #AtoZChallenge Co-Host
    Nicole recently posted…How to Bounce Back in Life, Like a Boss! The Superwoman EditionMy Profile

Rachna
    April 3, 2015 at 7:29 am

Another beautiful letter, Vidya. Such am important message too. I loved the quotes you used.
    Rachna recently posted…The winners of Pennyful March Madness ContestMy Profile

Salvwi Prasad
    April 3, 2015 at 8:09 am

This is such an inspiring article. My favourite line is “Comparison is the thief of joy.”

Cheers,
    POETICbug

Mayura
    April 3, 2015 at 2:06 pm

Hi Vidya,

I’ve landed on this post and noticed the title on my browser tab ~ “Be – Vidya Sury”. Really? 😉

Absolutely beautiful! I do really love this post 🙂

I imagined my mom nodding as I read through your gentle words of advice, ’cause she never wanted us to pretend or be like someone else. She never expressed it like the way you did here, but even silence can whisper. Isn’t it? Well… Moms – as I know 😉

As a little kid, all I can say is ~ Vidur, you’re so lucky to have such a wonderful and understanding parents 🙂

Have a wonderful weekend ahead, Vidya 🙂

Cheers…
    Mayura recently posted…How to Secure Your Twitter AccountMy Profile

Kerry
    April 6, 2015 at 1:50 am

Great message and choice for the letter B.