Mindful Living

Bird Watching

Vidya Sury Bird Watching

As we busily pore through lists and nervously hope we’ve got everything covered for my son’s return to college tomorrow, we are also taking intervals to hug and laugh and take note of our surroundings. We had plans of going out, but shelved it as it felt far better to hang out together at home. Later in the evening , we will step out to go to the terrace to walk.

Right  now, it is tea time and we’re enjoy our cuppa together, cozily settled into our favorite spots. I feel a twinge of sadness, thinking about how one particular spot will be conspicuously vacant and how the tears will threaten to fall as I sit in mine, and imagine conversations and laughter enjoyed over the past few days.

I’ll forget that the vacation is over and call out from the kitchen…then remember when I hear the echo of my voice. Then I’ll chide myself, and feel grateful for technology that can instantly connect us.

I’ll feel just a little misty-eyed when I make only set out two cups in the morning, instead of three.

I’ll probably choke a bit over my coffee.

For now, I’ll live in the moment and enjoy the closeness as we lazily observe the pigeons who occupy our verandah.

Yes, we love bird watching

This white dove is a favorite. She’s a proud one, she is. She knows she’s unique. And she doesn’t let the others forget it, smart girl, as she walks sedately across the window shade.

First, she landed there like an angel, a vision in white. Clean white I might add.

Vidya Sury Bird Watching

Then she turned and looked, casing the joint

Vidya Sury Bird Watching

And was not very surprised to see these two pigeons land near her

Vidya Sury Bird Watching

Hmmm. So what next, she probably thought, when a third joined them

Vidya Sury Bird Watching

She continued to watch, fluttering her pretty wings.

Vidya Sury Bird Watching

And then there were two.

Vidya Sury Bird Watching

She turned to chat, when another flew away…and then there was one.

Vidya Sury Bird Watching

She turned to look, curious to see what was distracting them.

Vidya Sury Bird Watching

When she turned back, she found herself alone again, queen of all she surveyed.

Vidya Sury Bird Watching

Ah well, she thought. Life is good. And bird watching is fun!

We tend to agree!

Fill Your Cup each day Vidya Sury

Sundays In My City hosted by the gorgeous Unknown Mami, a fun bloghop that lets us travel the world via our keyboard. No passport required. Do join us.

Here’s a lovely inspiring quote for you:

Share your weaknesses.
Share your hard moments.
Share your real side.
It’ll either scare away every fake person in your life or
it will inspire them to finally let go of that mirage called “perfection,”
which will open the doors
to the most important relationships you’ll ever be a part of.

– Dan Pearce

Vidya Sury Bird Watching

Darla M Sands
    January 3, 2016 at 8:32 pm

I really enjoy watching wildlife. We are very lucky to have some pure white squirrels living nearby. It’s always a treat to spot one or two. I even got to see a pair of white ones in a mating chase around a tree last spring! Blessings to you and yours, my dear.
    Darla M Sands recently posted…Ten Blatant Workout Myths Debunked, by Yuri ElkhaimMy Profile

Shailaja
    January 5, 2016 at 11:23 am

Such a lovely way to tell a story through pictures. Adored this post 🙂 I know you’ll miss Vidur and big hugs for that. By the way did you read that piece by Purba yesterday on learning and un learning to be a mom? Simply beautiful and I thought of you when I read it 🙂
    Shailaja recently posted…Social Media: How much is too much?My Profile

January 8, 2016 at 8:51 pm

Those pigeons! I have a love-hate relationship with them. Hehe. But I keep on photographing them – simply because they are fascinating. Also, considering they form a big part of my social life, I get on with them pretty well. Mmm. Vidur is back at college and yes, we feel the vacuum. We’re getting to the balancing act of holding on and letting go, as some great soul said. No – I haven’t read Purba’s post. 🙂

Thanks for stopping by Shailaja! Hugs!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…My Growing Gratitude Circle #TalesOf2015My Profile

G Angela
    January 5, 2016 at 3:08 pm

Nice to see these pigeons; I too love to watch them everyday, they sit at the window, at my work place, and sometimes they even get into the room and sit on the printer. I smile and look at them in awe.. they are so cute and spotless, pure white… loved the quote in the end. Thanks for sharing vidya 🙂 Happy New Year, and wish you God’s abundant blessings to all three of you.

Glad to know that your son was there for few days; and you are a great mom ! I am sure he is proud of you !!
    G Angela recently posted…In Memory of Mario EmmanuelMy Profile

January 8, 2016 at 8:49 pm

Hugs Angela. The funny thing about pigeons is, we start off being annoyed with them for the mess they create, but gradually, they grow on us and we miss them if they are not around! The white one is beautiful. There’s another one which is white, but with a lot of grey and black streaks – and looks quite gorgeous too. I confess I talk to them sometimes. Thank you for your kind words, I am grateful you are here today!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Bird WatchingMy Profile

Obsessivemom
    January 5, 2016 at 3:26 pm

Lovely pictures Vidya. We have some serious birdwatchers in the family. The rest of us tag along somedays and get to see amazing sights. What I like best about bird watching is the quiet. That sitting together silently doing nothing but waiting, watching and observing. I find it therapeutic.
    With the vacations over I can imagine how you must be feeling a little lonely. It always is hard letting them go no matter how old they get, isn’t it? Glad you have the birds for company :-).
    Obsessivemom recently posted…The end-of-year postMy Profile

January 8, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Exactly! Therapeutic is the perfect word to describe bird watching. The best part is, each time is so different from the other! Yes, I feel lonely, but I have happy thoughts to keep me company. And thanks to technology, I can hear Vidur’s voice every day! Once a Mom, always a Mom, no matter how old they get, yes! Hugs! Happy 2016 to you and your loved ones!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Runway Ready Fashion AcademyMy Profile

Star Traci
    January 6, 2016 at 6:01 am

What beautiful pictures. I like bird watching, as well, though I have a completely untrained eye. I wish your son a great semester!
    Happy New Year!
    🙂
    Traci

January 8, 2016 at 8:43 pm

Thank you Traci! As long as we enjoy watching them, I think that counts more than anything. Thank you for your kind wish! Have a great year ahead!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Living With GratitudeMy Profile

January 6, 2016 at 8:22 am

The bird, to me, reminds me of pure love which is what you have for your son and vice-versa. He is never away from you, just like the bird. Happy New Year!
    Birgit recently posted…Happy New Year!!My Profile

January 8, 2016 at 8:42 pm

That is such a sweet thing to say, Birgit! Hugs! Wishing you a wonderfully healthy year!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Living With GratitudeMy Profile

Sid
    January 11, 2016 at 3:33 pm

Haha! Good one, Vidz. Definitely put a smile on my face 🙂
    Enjoyed reading the ‘dove’ tales.
    Sid recently posted…If only….My Profile

Gary
    August 29, 2016 at 9:47 pm

Hi Vidya,

Thanks for the bird “story”. I have a backyard full of birds at times around my 4 feeders. Sometimes I pull out my binoculars to watch them. Do you have a pair of binoculars to use?
    Gary recently posted…6+ Reasons You’ll Want a Pair of Swarovski EL 8.5×42 BinocularsMy Profile

August 29, 2016 at 11:28 pm

Hi Gary! Yes I do have a pair of binoculars. And I love to watch through them. It is quite a mesmerizing activity, especially with a nice cup of coffee nearby! Thank you for coming by!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Have you heard of varicocele?My Profile