Mindful Living

Coffee Meditation

vidya sury coffee meditation

What better way to begin the week with a Mindful Mondays post?

What better way to begin a Mindful Monday with Coffee Meditation?

What better way to begin the day than with coffee?

Being mindful is all about savoring every moment consciously. I seriously believe that I am a happy person because I practice living with intention. I take joy in the little things. It is wonderful how, when we make this a habit, everything seems amazing.

When we feel, sense and enjoy everything we see and each action we take, life is much better.

I am going to show you coffee meditation today because, well, I love coffee. I start my day with coffee and I savor every little step, right from making the coffee to the moment I wash my cup.

Now, I won’t insist you do coffee meditation – go ahead and adapt this practice to the beverage of your choice. It could be cocoa, or it could be chilled beer. You pick your favorite. The steps are the same. Well, almost!

The idea is basically to live in the moment and enjoy it thoroughly without allowing any distractions to get in the way. Switch off your cellphone if you like. Do away with anything that might interrupt this process.

How to do Coffee Meditation

You need:

• A reasonably quiet place
  • Coffee (or whatever you like)
  • Intention (obviously)
  • Time – ten minutes max

Let’s get started!

Remember, this is a mindfulness exercise

Coffee Meditation

• Pick your cup up, lovingly
  • Hold it in both hands
  • Feel the warmth in your palms
  • Take your face close to the cup
  • Take a deep breath
  • Inhale the aroma
  • Sense the warmth and the steam
  • Savor the sensations in your nose
  • Now place your lip on the cup’s edge
  • No, don’t sip yet
  • Let your lip touch the cup for about ten seconds
  • What do you feel inside your mouth?
  • Observe how the cup feels against your lip.
  • Take a  tiny sip.
  • Wait! don’t swallow yet!
  • Enjoy the taste, the flavour, the underlying bitterness.
  • If you add cream and sugar, that’s a whole new step
  • Swirl the coffee in your mouth, gently.
  • Now swallow.
  • Feel it moving down your throat
  • Enjoy the rest of the coffee, slowly, mindfully.

How was the experience?

Repeat and savor if you like.

And yes, one more cup, please.

This kind of mindfulness can be practiced in everything we do through the day.

• Brushing our teeth
  • In the shower
  • Talking to someone
  • Walking
  • You name it

It is all about focusing our attention in the moment without being distracted.

This especially helps when you feel a little low or feeling uncomfortable or in pain as it takes your mind away and puts your problem in perspective. Be kind to yourself!

coffee meditation vidya sury 2

Other meditations to try are:

Chocolate Meditation

Sitting meditation

Smiling meditation

Hugging meditation

Have a happy week ahead!

coffee meditation vidya sury 2

Darla M Sands
    April 5, 2016 at 1:26 am

Great post! Unfortunately, caffeine doesn’t agree with my stomach these days. ~sigh~ Oh, and I apologize for making you think Corrupted Angel is a real band. I made that name up before the Sunday wind storm. ~grin~ Namaste, my friend.
    Darla M Sands recently posted…C is for The CureMy Profile

Arti
    April 5, 2016 at 2:01 am

I like this concept of slowing down and noticing. Do you think multitasking is the exact opposite of mindfulness? Ever since I came across your ABC’s, I’ve been meaning to ask you this; does this work for teenagers? I’d like my children to come on this journey with me. Your posts bring peace . Thank you.
    Arti recently posted…C is for “Culture is Coriander Chutney.”My Profile

Jemima Pett
    April 5, 2016 at 2:23 am

Yes, I should definitely do a coffee meditation. That’s a great idea, Vidya, thank you. And also chocolate meditation. I’ve already been advised to take one square and let it melt on the tongue… but I will gobble! Now I must try it with a mindful approach. You are my inspiration 🙂
    Jemima Pett recently posted…Cardamom trilogy and interview with Julie Anne GrassoMy Profile

Andrea
    April 5, 2016 at 3:27 am

This sounds brilliant, one of my biggest problems with eating/drinking is to read at the same time 😕 I shall make an effort to change that old habit! Thank you!

Damyanti
    April 5, 2016 at 7:01 am

wonderful, Vidya. I need me some coffee meditation!
    Damyanti recently posted…#atozchallenge: Have you met Cat Didi?My Profile

Kathryn Trask
    April 5, 2016 at 7:59 am

Totally love this and it is so true. Going to endeavour to remember and do – often!
    Kathryn Trask recently posted…Community of ReadersMy Profile

J Lenni Dorner
    April 5, 2016 at 11:48 am

J here, stopping by from the #atozchallenge – where I am part of Arlee Bird’s A to Z Ambassador Team.
    April is here and I’m excited about it. Best of luck to us both on meeting our goals of posting and hopping to other blogs.
    My blog has a giveaway. There’s a bonus a to z challenge each day to encourage people to visit more stops.
    I’ve followed your listed social media.

Don’t forget to put your A to Z 2016 badge up.

I adored this post. I don’t meditate nearly as much as I should. This seems like an excellent way to fit it into my day.
    J Lenni Dorner recently posted…#atozchallenge C is for “Craft & Technique” #writing #openings #writetipMy Profile

Mars
    April 5, 2016 at 12:54 pm

I love this idea, I think I do almost as you describe unwittingly, but possibly without concentrating enough on it, so I shall increase that bit – I also like to do it with loose leaf Earl Grey Blue Flower tea too!

A post for me to come back to, again and again, I think!
    Mars recently posted…D is for DiddysMy Profile

Dahlia
    April 5, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Ahh such a lovely post Vidya and you know what I just realized? I need to eat mindfully – i so tend to gobble down my food, especially when I like it. Isnt that so foolish and counter-intuitive? Anyway, i am certainly going to go for it! Cheers
    Dahlia recently posted…D = Dhodhi MongolMy Profile

Kala Ravi
    April 5, 2016 at 2:58 pm

This is also called Coffee Nirvaana Vidya! I am a coffee fan too, so this is a ritual that I find deeply soothing and fulfilling too. Kaapi na filter kaapi! Cheers 😉
    Kala Ravi recently posted…Decor Drama with Wall DecalsMy Profile

April 5, 2016 at 7:24 pm

Your coffee meditation reminds me of my hubby with his coffee. He does all of this and doesn’t even realize he’s meditating. I just can’t talk to him for the first while:) I can’t live without orange juice and soda water combined. I love the sparkling water mixed with the oj ….so thirst quenching.
    Birgit recently posted…The Letter DMy Profile

Maya Varde
    April 5, 2016 at 8:18 pm

Lovely post…simple ..yet so difficult ! Yes…I am going to try this tomorrow morning !….
    Maya Varde recently posted…D-Dog-eared booksMy Profile

Shantala
    April 6, 2016 at 2:20 am

Coffee meditation – such a brilliant idea. I love coffee, and I am guilty of always being distracted while having my cuppa. Will certainly try coffee meditation.
    Shantala recently posted…Fitness 2016 – Quarterly update/ Check-in (Featuring Loopholes and Audio books)My Profile

Liz Brownlee
    April 6, 2016 at 3:05 am

Hello! I remember you from last year. I do Transcendental Meditation which is good at making you relaxed and have heightened awareness of little things – but also, I do something very similar to this with my morning grapefruit as i love it so much and otherwise it goes too quickly!

L. Moon
    April 6, 2016 at 5:54 am

I do like you idea of putting kindness into your cup as well as coffee. A fantastic way to keep “things” in perspective.
    I hope you are enjoying the challenge.
    L. Moon recently posted…Man’s Best Friend #atozchallenge #haikuMy Profile

Yolanda Renee
    April 6, 2016 at 7:48 am

I started my day with some meditation but was taken out of it immediately when I realized I had to check a fact for something I’d written the day before. Hate that! LOL
    Coffee is something I no longer enjoy, but green tea – I’m there! Another great post. I can’t believe you’ve got four running A to Z posts. I’ll try to read them all but no promises. 🙂
    Yolanda Renee recently posted…D – DEADHORSEMy Profile

Inderpreet Kaur Uppal
    April 6, 2016 at 5:27 pm

This is a beautiful post, that is why I keep coming back, just love the depth in your posts. I think these things but forget to write about them 😀 I will do this with my tea today itself!
    Inderpreet Kaur Uppal recently posted…Brave #AtoZChallengeMy Profile

My Inner Chick
    April 6, 2016 at 10:43 pm

this is how I want to live every single day.

Love you more than my sponge cake rising in the oven! xx

Catherine Green
    April 10, 2016 at 2:52 pm

I do love a bit of coffee meditation in the morning! I try to get up before my children wake, so that I can have a few precious minutes of alone time with my brew before the daily chaos begins. And sometimes I have a wind-down cup of tea or coffee after I get the children to bed in the evenings!
    Catherine Green recently posted…#AtoZChallenge H is for HousewifeMy Profile

April 11, 2016 at 10:20 am

I used to do exactly the same when my son was little, Catherine. My Mom would tease me about loving my coffee so much that I was ready to skip a few minutes of sleep for it. But oh, the bliss! In summer, I find even a glass of cold water can feel equally delicious. Thank you so much for coming over today!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…ABC of MindfulnessMy Profile