When we love someone, we also have the privilege of learning from them.
Back in 2013, when Prince received the Billboard Icon Award 2013 I wrote a tribute to the living legend, listing 50 things I learned from him over my years of adoring him as the consummate artist. Why 50? Duh.
I was shocked to learn about his death on April 21 – I was traveling and chanced upon the news. I felt devastated.
As I cried, I recalled moments of unlimited joy when I found solace in his music and concerts. No, I’ve never been to any of his live concerts, except maybe in my dreams, but thanks to YouTube, I have enjoyed almost all of them. And yes, of course I had a collage of his pictures on the wall in my room! And yes I have all his music.
I first met Prince in 1987 – so late! I know! And I am grateful to my friend of 30 years for introducing me to him! (Thanks Ranjit! You rock in more ways than you’ll ever know!)
Today, I want to look at my list of 50 again. It makes a pretty good case for mindful living. Okay, so I added 7 more for obvious reasons.
And? You don’t have to be a fan of Prince to practice what’s on this list!
- Be original
- Be bold
- Be true to yourself, your abilities
- Be Yourself. There’s no one quite like you.
- Showcase / appreciate others
- Try new things
- Be gutsy
- Don’t be afraid to give away your idea. You still own it.
- There is nothing to fear. Fear is False Evidence Appearing Real
- Follow your passion
- Fly out of your comfort zone
- Practice, practice, practice.
- Strrrretch – it feels good!
- Challenge yourself constantly
- Don’t be afraid that others won’t like you
- Keep creating, no matter what
- Always keep learning
- Help others, raise them up
- Don’t worry about reciprocation
- Don’t hang around waiting for appreciation/gratitude/credit
- Just do what you love
- Playing second fiddle to someone is not infra dig
- Keep your energy levels high
- Don’t be afraid to flaunt what you have. You never know who you might inspire
- An award or fame is not the goal for what you do. Inner satisfaction is.
- It is fine to experiment.
- Be consistent.
- Be self-motivated
- Stick with what you do.
- Don’t give up
- Be humble
- Be committed to what you do
- Dream big
- Be faithful to your dream
- It is okay to not go with the flow
- Give yourself permission to be different
- Be generous with praise
- Don’t hesitate to highlight others
- Enjoy what you do
- Love yourself
- Do your thang with style
- Modesty IS a virtue
- Don’t be stingy about acknowledging those who inspire you.
- Use what you learn
- Don’t brag. Let others do it for you
- Innovate. All the time
- Be proactive about supporting others
- Talk is cheap. Actions count
- It is okay to be a perfectionist
- Let go of ego
- Don’t be afraid to speak up
- Live life on your own terms
- “Don’t ever compromise on your art, or who you are, ever”
- Give. Life isn’t always about money
- Love without inhibition
- Leave a strong trail
There will never be another like him.
Today, I wish I could hug my Mom and bawl my head off. She’d call me on the phone every time a Prince song played on MTV. Did she watch MTV, you might wonder. Yeah. She was cool like that. I’ll never forget her expression when she first listened to the lyrics of some of his songs…. but she didn’t say a word.
Go ahead and laugh, but I have this stuck on my iPad cover, which had other uses before it became an iPad cover.
I remember the time, back in the 90s, when my friend and I were about to go see a movie. The VJ on MTV announced the Top 20 – and we chose to catch the No.1 – Prince’s “Gold”, even even if it meant missing the first scene of a James Bond Movie (Golden Eye)…and that’s saying a lot!
Sury, who doesn’t care much about western/pop music went out of his way during his visit to Glasgow to buy me Purple Rain – the VHS tape.
Why, even the newspaper staff I coordinated with in my job during the 80s would cut out Prince pictures from the newspaper and keep them for me. I blew one up and stuck it on the inside of my cupboard!
Thank you, Prince, for the gift of your music, for the inspiration.
And for being my friend!
You know we can never say Goodbye, don’t you?
“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
Prince Rogers Nelson (June 7, 1958 – April 21, 2016) was an American singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, record producer, and actor. He was a musical innovator and known for his eclectic work, flamboyant stage presence, extravagant dress and makeup, and wide vocal range. His music integrates a wide variety of styles, including funk, rock, R&B, soul, psychedelia, and pop. He has sold over 100 million records worldwide, making him one of the best-selling artists of all time. He won seven Grammy Awards, aGolden Globe Award, and an Academy Award. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004, the first year of his eligibility. Rolling Stone ranked Prince at number 27 on its list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time – Wikipedia
I love my friends who wrote a tribute to Prince:
Claudya at Unknown Mami with 57 celebrity Twitter reactions to the death of Prince
Sarah Arrow at Birds on the Blog with Goodbye Prince
Brian Bolland's Prince. pic.twitter.com/5Kqoom8dm9
— Gosh! Comics (@GoshComics) April 21, 2016
If you’re a fan of Prince, you might enjoy these links:
“Don’t ever compromise on your art, or who you are, ever”