Inspiration

If I had only listened!

If I had only listened Vidya Sury

Today, I have a very special guest with a lovely post.

Her Mom and I have known each other for a few years now, and our friendship is a cozy one. Although we’re in touch via WhatsApp, Facebook, Texting and of course, the omnipresent phone calls, we do spend a lot of time in each other’s’ houses—sharing snacks or meals—or simply enjoying a pleasant cup of tea or coffee and chatting. Even our families are in sync with each other, and I feel blessed to enjoy their company.

When I return home from traveling, I am assured of a loving welcome. On a busy day, when there’s no time to cook, I can expect a delicious dish from their house. I love my impromptu strolls and shopping around our area with her. We share plenty of laughter, stories and a warm relationship. And of course, I miss her when I don’t hear from her, or see her on a daily basis.

I love her daughters and delight in our conversations and the time we spend together. Both are brilliant writers and I am always amazed at their fantastic grasp of the English language.

To celebrate Children’s Day, I am thrilled to present a short essay by her younger daughter, Anjali Panchanathan.

Anjali is 11 years old, wise beyond her years, and great company. She is abundantly curious about everything, and always thirsty for knowledge. She’s a talented artist, learns music and has a melodious voice. Her writing is engaging and often tinged with subtle humor. I love having her around me. I am secretly proud of her because she is kind, and not only keeps asking me what I am working on, but also follows up to check if I’ve completed it! Anju is skilled at DIY—she can come up with pretty earrings and bracelets in a jiffy. She appreciates her food, loves fruits and vegetables, has a green thumb, and is great with animals. Her cat and her birds adore her. She is a wonderful kid, and I miss her if I don’t see her for a day. I do hope to see her more often here, sharing her writing.

Let’s lay out the red carpet for her!

Take it away, Anju!

If I had only listened!

As we are growing up, there are some rules that we must follow, certain do’s and don’ts that our parents urge us to abide by. Not paying heed to one’s parents’ advice is almost a sure way for us to land in trouble.

I loved to ride bicycles from the time I was a child. While the other children were struggling with tricycles, I was happily riding a bicycle with ease.

As I grew, the size of my bicycle grew with me, and by the time I was 10, I was riding a full-sized bicycle!
I felt thrilled to ride my new bicycle with gears. My parents cautioned me to slow down whenever I accelerated too much. Also, they didn’t allow me to ride on the main road, which was usually very heavy with traffic.

So, every evening, I would ride my cycle in the side lane outside my house with eager friends watching me. They clapped and cheered as I zoomed past them riding at top gear.

After riding like this for a few days, I felt the urge to try something new, and more thrilling. I tried to ride the bicycle with my hands off the handlebars. I obviously fell many times, and also got a good scolding from my mother. This deterred me from doing this stunt for a few days. But I started practising again, and one day, I felt I had mastered the art.

One day, I sneaked away to the main road to show off my riding skills, away from my mother’s watchful eyes. I was enjoying my hands free riding at top speed, when suddenly, a motor bike came towards me from the opposite direction. I tried to swerve out of the way, but fell off and bruised myself badly.

The other consequences of my daredevilry were a sprained foot, and a deep cut on my right hand. I had to miss school for a week, and also the chance to be selected in the football team.

If only I had listened…

Thank you, Anju!

Wasn’t that lovely? I’d love to know what you think in the comments!

Vanita Cyril
    November 14, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Aww how sweet. So sorry you were hurt Anju! I’m glad it wasn’t too serious. I will have to have my 8 year old son read your story because he is much the confident dare devil too and tends not to listen lol. Maybe hearing it from someone who is not “old” will make him a little more cautious. Hugs to you Anju! Terrific writing.

Bala Panchanathan
    November 14, 2016 at 9:28 pm

So proud of my sister <3

Shailaja Vishwanath
    November 14, 2016 at 10:43 pm

To read this from the perspective of a 11 year old is at once heartwarming and gratifying. How clear are her thoughts and the way she expresses herself. Please tell her I really enjoyed the flow of the writing and appreciated the natural way she arrived at the lesson without any difficulty. So wonderful to see kids who write, craft and push their boundaries. I hope she continues to write for many years to come.
    Shailaja Vishwanath recently posted…Parenting like an AuntMy Profile

November 14, 2016 at 11:08 pm

Thank you Shailaja! I am so proud of her. I am delighted with her writing and had a tough time picking one to post today! I will show her your comment – thank you for your encouragement!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…How #Roff products are adding value to my homeMy Profile

Lisa@intotheglade
    November 15, 2016 at 4:01 am

Oh no, I hope Anju didn’t suffer for too long and was quickly back on her feet. This is a lovely post and lovely to read it from her perpective. My 13 year old loves to write too and has done since she was very small, I always think it is a positive way for her to spend her time. I think Anju maybe a future blogger too. Best wishes to you all xx
    Lisa recently posted…There is a crack in everything………..My Profile

Lea Bullen
    November 15, 2016 at 5:28 am

That’s quite the vocabulary for an 11 year old. I’m impressed. Cute story. I think we have all experienced something like that growing up. It might be a growing pain but there are sometimes that no matter how many times we are told not to do it, we have to learn the hard way for ourselves. Hindsight is always 20/20.

~Lea
    Lea Bullen recently posted…Got Big Dreams? Here Are 6 Little Known Secrets to Achieve ThemMy Profile

November 15, 2016 at 1:07 pm

I know, Lea! She writes really well and has a wonderful way of presenting it. I love how she uses the words she learns! And oh yes, some things are fun, even if the lessons are learned the hard way! Experience is a great teacher. Thank you for coming by! ❤️
      Vidya Sury recently posted…How to be a Kindness Ninja #WorldKindnessDay #KindnessNinjaMy Profile

Rachna Parmar
    November 15, 2016 at 7:17 am

So well written especially from someone so young. I totally agree with what she says. Haven’t we all been there? I guess some lessons are learnt first hand.
    Rachna Parmar recently posted…Has The ‘Child’ in Childhood Disappeared?My Profile

Amin Shah
    November 16, 2016 at 5:13 am

It is a lovely post which inspired me to have good friendship. It reminded me one of my primary school friend we used to do the same as I read in this post. Thanks for sharing such posts.
    Amin

Mayuri Nidigallu
    November 16, 2016 at 8:30 am

Welcome to the blogging world, Anju! And how lucky you are, to be introduced by none other than Vidya, whom we all love!
    I loved reading your post, Anju and I’m sorry you hurt yourself. No worries about missing the chance to be selected for the Football Team, there is always next year:) Keep being your wonderful self!

November 16, 2016 at 12:26 pm

Awww thank you for the love, Mayuri! And for your kind words to Anju!

Obsessivemom
    November 16, 2016 at 11:56 am

O ho she’s quite a writer – this little one. What coherent writing and such flow of thoughts. And that she appreciates her parents’ gyan is more than most 11 year olds will accept.
    Obsessivemom recently posted…Notes from a happy momMy Profile

November 16, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Thank you Tulika! She’s amazing!

SHILPA GARG
    November 16, 2016 at 12:54 pm

This is an amazingly well written story from a young girl. Kudos to Anju for sharing her story so eloquently. Hope she is fit and fine now!
    SHILPA GARG recently posted…10 Reasons to Love AudiobooksMy Profile

Lisa Pomerantz
    November 16, 2016 at 3:19 pm

Ah Vidya, it’s those lessons that ‘hurt,’ in this case physical pain, that teach us the most. What a beautiful girl and a wonderful story to share. <3
    Lisa Pomerantz recently posted…When things go wrong, as they sometimes will…My Profile

Nabanita
    November 16, 2016 at 11:19 pm

It was truly lovely. So much wisdom at such a young age. She had taken away something so important as a lesson. Thanks for sharing her words with us , Vidya. 🙂
    Nabanita recently posted…The 4 Cs To Successful BloggingMy Profile

Shalini R
    November 17, 2016 at 1:01 am

Coming from a 11 year old, this is so heartwarming. Kudos to Anju and thank you Mam for sharing the story with us. 🙂
    Shalini R recently posted…Son-in-law EggsMy Profile

motivational speaker seattle
    November 17, 2016 at 3:43 am

😮 Wow! how sweet!
    Definitely a lovely post. And I think we all have a story just like this “If I had only listened!”
    Thanks, Vidya.

Vinitha
    November 17, 2016 at 6:35 am

Aww, this was a beautiful read, Vidya. Best wishes Anjali. 🙂

Sunila
    November 17, 2016 at 9:29 am

So beautifully articulated Vidya. Anju sounds like a wonderful little girl and wise 😊❤️️

Suzy
    November 17, 2016 at 2:17 pm

So well written. Great talent there. Hope Anju wasn’t badly hurt. Thanks for sharing.
    Suzy recently posted…Remembering Me #FridayReflectionsMy Profile

Parul Thakur
    November 17, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Wow! First things first, Anju you write so well and I loved that you taught us a lesson about listening. Very important and we adults need to remember. Second, I am sorry you got hurt but no pain, no lesson. So keep on learning and the urge to learn.
    Vidya, what a lovely way to celebrate Children’s Day. Hugs to Anju and you. Love your partnership. 🙂
    Parul Thakur recently posted…Why I chose to live away from my parentsMy Profile

Sid
    November 17, 2016 at 3:44 pm

Absolutely adorable!
    Sorry to hear that you were hurt, Anju, but you do sound like quite a character!
    All the best to you, and thank you Vidya for featuring her
    Sid recently posted…Begin AgainMy Profile

Tuhin
    November 19, 2016 at 12:23 pm

Hello Vidya,
    Anju seems to be a matured and wise girl. Not every kid can express themselves through essays at this age!
    I am glad that the accident wasn’t a major one!
    Tuhin recently posted…Are you an irritating person?My Profile

November 19, 2016 at 8:22 pm

She is, Tuhin, and she’s very articulate. A delight to be with. Thank you for coming by!

Asha
    November 24, 2016 at 11:13 pm

Beautiful. We have a future author or blogger in her 🙂
    Asha recently posted…A day in the TharMy Profile