Book Review gratitude

The Write Tribe Anthology Book 1

The write tribe anthology book 1

Today, I am delighted to present The Write Tribe Anthology Book 1, a compilation of 36 fantastic posts from 36 outstanding bloggers. These are no ordinary bloggers. Besides being part of the Write Tribe, they are prolific writers who enjoy connecting, encouraging and supporting each other, which is what the Write Tribe is all about.  Besides the Write Tribe blog, we have a Facebook group – a place where we share our posts, our thoughts, our learning and naturally, have a lot of scintillating conversation. Slowly, but surely, we grow together.

The Write Tribe Anthology Book 1

… or how the idea came about.

And so, when I turned 50 this year – a huge milestone in my life – I wanted to do something memorable to celebrate. When I sounded out the intention to my friends, most of them said, write a book. While that’s an exciting thought and I also had a couple of book drafts ready, thanks to last year’s NaNoWriMo, it was also intimidating. For one thing, I wasn’t even close to finishing them. Even if I did,  there was no way I could “finish” them and make even one of them ready to show the world.

Yet, the word “book” was stuck in my head. “How?” I wondered. Then, there was a virtual flash of lightning and I saw the words jumping out at me – compile a book with the Write Tribe members’ posts! “Oh yes”, I thought, and proposed the idea to the group.  They were happy. And I was happy. What followed was the logistics of requesting them to send me their favorite posts from their blogs.

I intended to have the book ready by Thanksgiving, but what with this year’s NaNoWriMo and a whole lot of other commitments, I couldn’t finish it. I resolved to complete it and launch it on Christmas Day. And I did. But not without hiccups.

When I began compiling the posts, I stressed over categorizing them. Then, after reading them, realized that the writing was so versatile and varied, it was best to simply list the authors in alphabetical order. Satisfied to have reached a decision on this, I set about arranging the work. Just as I added the last post, my Word doc became blank. The text disappeared. I breathed deeply. Tried to retrieve it, since the “undo” button ditched me and then, rather than waste time digging, I redid the whole thing again.

Next it was time to add author bios and photos. When I thought I had just about got it right, MS Word crashed. (yes, I can see some of you thinking – why did she do it in MS Word? Good question. Let me know if there’s a better way). But this time I was slightly better prepared. I had saved the file as a pdf – and at least had a reference. Yay!

And so, several edits later, The Write Tribe Anthology Book 1 was ready. Time to choose a cover now. After a couple of hours of browsing my picture archives – I had this fancy idea of using one from my own photography – over the last couple of weeks, with every photo I clicked – my thought was “will this make a good cover?”

Then, I had yet another brilliant idea! Why not make it  a nice classic cover, with a vintage look, one that we’ll all feel proud to show off? And so was this book born.

Presenting, The Write Tribe Anthology Book 1

The write tribe anthology book 1

Go ahead. Click the image to download and enjoy.

I am indebted to Corinne, the creator of Write Tribe for encouraging me, and Vaisakh Venugopal for sitting up with me past midnight to do a final proofing of the book to identify changes. I like his quiet, depend-on-me attitude!

What’s in the Write Tribe Anthology Book 1?

You’ll find poetry, 55 fiction, personal stories and experiences, parenting wisdom, haiku, anecdotes, humor and more.

Some of the authors – Jairam Mohan, Richa Singh and Sid Balachandran have generously offered their books free.

I hope you enjoy the book. I urge you to visit the contributors’ blogs – I know you’ll love them.

Ah, special thanks to Dr Roshan Radhakrishnan for beating me to it – with his post about the book.

My heart is full today! I am humbled to have the privilege of putting this book together and thank the Write Tribe. I hope this is the first of many!

Dear Readers, would love your feedback about the book!

Thank you!

P.S.: The Write Tribe provides motivation and support for bloggers and writers through writing exercises, prompts, blogging support (on request) and tips to improve your blog/writing. Come, join us.

write tribe book

privytrifles
    December 27, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Hey Vidya this is just superb… beautiful and amazing. I feel so proud to be a part of it and a huge thank you to you and Corinne for making this happen!

Merry Xmas!

Loads of love and hugs

privytrifles recently posted…Metro Diaries : The world of LoveMy Profile

richmiraclefiles
    December 27, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Hi Vidya
    The story Never Again by Jairam Mohan is a succinctly crafted piece of work.Its a stark reminder of the times in which Indians dwelt.
    An innocent childish revenge planned by a 9 year old ending in the deth of a 1000 people is a pretty plausible possibility.
    Reliving the trauma through a child’s eyes (even though fictionised) is well captured scenario.
    Thanks Vidya
    Mona
    richmiraclefiles recently posted…The Triangle Of Manifestation :Yearning ,Deserving, and ManifestationMy Profile

Jairam Mohan
      December 27, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Hi richmiraclefiles,

Given that you picked my story out of 36 wonderful posts by Write Tribers meant that you liked it a lot. Thank you so much for the kind words regarding my story. This was among the first few fictional pieces that I ever wrote and hence, is bereft of any corruption such as prose structure, etc 🙂
      Jairam Mohan recently posted…Adding meaning to lifeMy Profile

December 29, 2013 at 10:52 am

Thank you Mona! Jairam is not only prolific, but a fantastic and effortless writer. I am glad we are connected!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Christmas Means a Little Bit MoreMy Profile

Kajal
    December 27, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Appreciate all the hard work that has gone behind making this book alive. Thanks ever so much Vidya. And much thanks to Vaisakh and Corinne as well.

Thanks !!
    Kajal recently posted…SALMANIA: Wanted (2009)My Profile

Shilpa Garg
    December 27, 2013 at 5:25 pm

You are the bestest Santa, Vidya! This is the bestest Christmas present I have ever got and will cherish it FOREVER! Thank you so much, Vidya for this novel idea and doing this for us. You rock, lady! ♥
    Shilpa Garg recently posted…A Blessing in Disguise.My Profile

Aditi
    December 27, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Lovely lovely lovely collaboration of the write tribers…feeling so proud. Thank you so much Vidya, Corinne and Vaisakh for making this possible…and I love the vintage cover… 🙂 🙂

December 28, 2013 at 7:45 am

Dearest Aditi,

I am thrilled you were part of my happiness!

Read Chandra Senan’s comment below. 🙂 It is for you

Love, Vidya
      Vidya Sury recently posted…That’s What Friends Are ForMy Profile

Jairam Mohan
    December 27, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Vidya, thank you once again and a million more times for compiling this wonderful anthology of the best writings of the best group of friends that I have ever had. Funny part is that all of these wonderful people are ‘virtual friends’ only at this point in time but am sure our paths will cross at some time or the other.
    Jairam Mohan recently posted…Adding meaning to lifeMy Profile

December 29, 2013 at 11:18 am

Jairam, thank you so much. I felt wonderful to see your post in the book AND your books, which you offered so generously.

🙂 Oh yes, our paths will more than cross. Barely a few km between us eh?

🙂 Rock on.
      Vidya Sury recently posted…The Write Tribe Anthology Book 1My Profile

Corinne Rodrigues
    December 27, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Thank you for all you did to make this happen, Vidya. I am inspired by your commitment and patience – truly!
    I’m so glad that you chose that beautiful cover. Classic!
    Isn’t it heartening to realize that people are already reading it and commenting on it.
    Thank you so much again. ♥
    Corinne Rodrigues recently posted…All I Want For ChristmasMy Profile

December 29, 2013 at 11:22 am

Thank you Corinne. The power of community is such a great thing. Without your encouragement and support, it wouldn’t be what it is. I am grateful

😀 I am also thrilled with Chandra’s comment on your post in the book!

Hugs!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Dare To DreamMy Profile

Chandra Senan
    December 28, 2013 at 2:32 am

WRighte on, Vidya!

A well crafted book with a suitably opulent cover to match. As you are such a perfectionist, I would not have expected anything less.
    I read ‘Through the peephole’ by Aditi Kaushiva an hour ago and was impressed by the style of narration, the choice of words and the effortless manner in which the story sailed from one timeframe into another.
    Well done, everyone.
    Best wishes
    Chandra Senan
    Literati Publishing

December 28, 2013 at 7:44 am

Chandra, thank you for your kind words!You always say such encouraging words! I confess making this book gave me the feeling of being a new parent all over again, that’s how exhilarating it was to present it to our group.

Do read the book – the talent within is just outstanding!

Thank you so much, I appreciate your presence.
      Vidya Sury recently posted…That’s What Friends Are ForMy Profile

Aditi
      December 29, 2013 at 3:50 am

Thank you Chandra for your kind words. Really appreciate you taking the time to read and comment on all the pieces you found interesting! I’m just so happy and proud to have my name in the book amongst such fantastic bloggers and writers!
      Aditi recently posted…‘You’My Profile

Suzy
    December 28, 2013 at 5:56 am

You gave us an awesome Christmas present, one I will cherish forever. Many thanks for making this happen.
    Suzy recently posted…The Write Tribe Anthology Book 1My Profile

Ruchira
    December 28, 2013 at 7:33 am

wow..this is a wonderful gift.

I am gonna download it and read these amazing authors again…although I read most of them during the festival.
    bummer! I missed the notification to contribute my blog for this mega event 🙁

hopefully next time…
    Ruchira recently posted…Review of PrivyTriflesMy Profile

Sandra Pawula
    December 28, 2013 at 10:57 am

This is beautiful, Vidya. Congratulations on pulling together such a fantastic piece despite the obstacles. Your patience is so inspiring.
    Sandra Pawula recently posted…One Powerful Word: A Simple Alternative to New Year’s ResolutionsMy Profile

Prasanna Raghavan
    December 28, 2013 at 11:40 am

Hi Vidya,
    Due to a lot of reasons, I was away from the blog world for some time. But I am coming back.

This is a great initiative a very creative and imaginative one. Though I didn’t read your anthology I am talking about effort behind it. Well done 🙂

Proactive Indian
    December 28, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Thank you, Vidya!
    I’ve downloaded the book, and will read it over the next few days.
    Proactive Indian recently posted…Kapil’s Devils and the AAP governmentMy Profile

Chandra Senan
    December 28, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Apropos ‘Tingling memories, Wafting fragrances’ which I read today:
    Bhavya – you express your emotions and sentiments beautifully with well chosen phraseology, you bring alive the various fragrances on offer and your description of the culinary delights at the dinner table has stimulated my appetite. Keep the eloquent words flowing and best wishes for your impending betrothal.
    Chandra Senan
    Literati Publishing

December 29, 2013 at 9:12 am

Thank you, Chandra! 😀 Bhavya’s post is indeed drool-worthy. I’ve let her know about your compliment.

I am honored to see your feedback on this book. Makes it all the more worthwhile to me.

With gratitude, Vidya
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Reflections on 11 Things Every Woman Should Write Down Before the Year EndsMy Profile

Bhavya
      December 30, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Thank you so much for your kind words. I’m thrilled to know that I could convey my emotions through my writing. Thank you again 🙂
      Bhavya recently posted…Akin to a DreamMy Profile

Kathy Combs (@Kathy29156)
    December 29, 2013 at 2:43 am

This is beautiful. You did an amazing job compiling this. ♥ Thank you for all your hard work.
    Kathy Combs ( recently posted…Dew HaikuMy Profile

December 29, 2013 at 10:38 am

Hugs, Kathy! I am so happy to see your post in it.
      And you know what? During the innumerable times I went through the document, your sweet smiling face always made me smile! ♥
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Dare To DreamMy Profile

Chandra Senan
    December 29, 2013 at 2:54 am

This is in response to having read ‘Listen to your heart’ and is addressed to the author, Corinne Rodrigues.

You ask some simple yet profound questions in easily understandable language. You question our myriad doubts but reassure us that we have all the answers if only we would follow our hearts which are not merely hollow muscular organs that pump the blood through the circulatory system by rhythmic contraction and dilation.You articulate some basic truisms about ourselves that we have either forgotten or given scant thought. And you conclude with a very germane parable. Congratulations on a fine piece of illuminating writing, Corinne.
    Best wishes
    Chnadra Senan
    Literati Publishing

simplegirl
    December 29, 2013 at 9:59 am

Congratulations .. But I am not able to download the book 🙁 .
    simplegirl recently posted…If I could have anyone I choose as my ‘forever friend’/ ‘life partner’, I would choose …..My Profile

December 29, 2013 at 10:23 am

Thank you, Simplegirl. The link appears to be working for me. Did you try this link?

Nice review of Preeti’s book on your blog! 😀

Sugandha
    December 30, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Vidya A big Thank you 🙂 I love the cover, makes me want to print the entire thing and get it hard bound. It will be awesome, won’t it?

This new years I am going to sit and read the entire book. Will get back when I am done.
    Sugandha recently posted…Hello and Season Greetings from HibernationMy Profile

Karen Jolly
    December 30, 2013 at 11:56 pm

Wonderful Vidya! You have such a gift for encouraging the writer in all of us. What a beautiful way of celebrating writing!! Thank you for sharing this gift.
    Karen Jolly recently posted…Look Up or You’ll Miss ItMy Profile

Damyanti
    January 2, 2014 at 12:57 pm

This is such a wonderful book, Vidya. You and Corinne are amazing– and equally incredible are all the bloggers who contributed to this book!
    Damyanti recently posted…Is There Hope in 2014?My Profile

January 2, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Thank you, Damyanti! I had a great time putting it together. The contributors are amazing, yes! I am hoping to do another compilation soon. 🙂
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Composers for Relief: A Cup Of PeaceMy Profile

Rekha
    January 3, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Thank you so much Vidya, Corinne and Vaisakh for this brilliant effort. As I said earlier, you make me feel loved and cared for. This was the best ever Christmas gift I’ve received. 🙂 Here’s my post sharing the Write Tribe Book of Anthology
    Rekha recently posted…
    The Write Tribe Anthology – Book 1My Profile

Ravi
    January 17, 2014 at 6:53 am

Way to go Vidya.. -) now the next thing on your agenda should be the one i have been bugging you to do since ages.. Fiction.. 🙂 so GET cracking !