The conscious celebrations of mothers and motherhood can be traced to the ancient Greeks. However, credit is given to activist Anna Jarvis for officially inventing Mother’s Day over a century ago in 1908. What was once a humble day to collectively mourn with mothers of fallen soldiers has now grown into a beautiful day of love, appreciation, remembrance, and value. And while we do not need this day to show Moms and wives that they are loved, it does serve as a great reminder to pause and truly appreciate all the ways she has influenced you into the person that you are today.
Here are a few easy gift ideas for Mother’s Day.
Top 5 Mother’s Day Gift Ideas
- Hallmark Mother’s Day Cards: Hallmark cards have been loved for as long as I can remember. You can’t go wrong with a Hallmark – their vast selection of cards with sweet verse and charming pictures can make your Mom feel loved and cherished. Besides traditional paper cards, Hallmark Mother’s Day eCards are equally adorable. You can personalize them with a special message and image perfect for your own mother to view and save on her computer, smartphone or tablet. She can look at it as often as she likes.
- Say it with flowers: My Mom loved flowers. A recent study suggests that receiving a lovely bouquet of flowers can have an immediate and long-term impact on personal happiness and positivity. The study found that persons who received flowers felt less depressed and anxious and experienced a higher sense of life-satisfaction. When choosing flowers for your mom or wife, go in for potted flowers and plants that she can enjoy for a long time.
- DIY gifts: Do-it-yourself gifts are very popular. Not only do they make wonderful gift options, but let you add that special personal touch to show your mom or wife that you went the extra mile just for her. You can make pretty paper or beaded flowers as well as personalized jewelry, artwork or upcycled magnets.
- Rest and relaxation: Being a Mom can be a hectic job with zero breaks and lots of stress. Sometimes, the best gift you can give her is a break – a small retreat to relax and de-stress. How about a day at the spa? Let her relax and enjoy some “me-time” with soothing massages, facials, spa drinks and manicures while hubby tends to the kids and chores.
- Family time: In today’s hectic lifestyle, it can become tough to spend time together as a family. If your Mom longs for a family get-together, surprise her with one as a Mother’s Day gift to her. Clear your schedules, make dinner and dessert and just have fun enjoying time together, appreciating each other.
You know what they say – the hand that rocks the cradle, rules the world. Women must be celebrated. Make Mother’s Day memorable – find ways to show your wife and Mother that they are loved and appreciated.
Sunday, May 10 is Mother’s Day. How do you plan to celebrate her?