relationships

PS I love You

PS I love You Vidya Sury

I was convinced I am not a romantic person until I met my partner.

And I’ll tell you why.

I was a bit of a tomboy, growing up. Blame my Uncles for making me believe I could accomplish anything! I chose a male-dominated career when I started mine and most of my male friends tended to think that I was too “one of the boys”.

One even went so far as to say that I am not good “girlfriend material” because I was more confident than I ought to be. I had this bad habit of seeing “solution” when I heard or saw the word “problem”. What’s wrong with that you ask? I gave the guy a complex changing our flat tire when out on a date.

Nevertheless, I’ve been very lucky in friendship – and since we are talking about romantic love, even connections that seemingly got off on a rocky start became strong friendships! It always takes two, you know. Or three.

Even my first ever real date -thoughtfully orchestrated by my best friend looked like a disaster but turned into a rather nice friendship subsequently when we let go of the pressure to get involved. Okay, I confess I just ate the lovely red rose he gifted me. What to do? He kept me waiting in the car while he sprinted across the road to pick up an ice cream. (vanilla flavor). And I love roses.

PS I love You Vidya Sury

Yes, I was not easy to pair off.

So anyway, Life went on. I had amazing friends, both male and female. I say amazing, because I still have these people in my life, in my heart.

“All that is very well. But what about your life partner, Vidya?” asked my Mom, constantly.

“Oh, I don’t think I want to get married”, I’d say.

“But you love children. And life is wonderful when you live with someone you love” she said.

“Ah. I could always adopt right?” I’d say.

“Not quite the same as being a full family” she’d say, with a tinge of sadness.

Then I’d hug her, because I knew I would never win this argument with her, and tell her that what was meant to happen would happen when it was meant to happen. She’d hug me back and say “Sooner the better”

PS I love You Vidya Sury

When I turned 33, my family’s tension meter was high. I was cool – I had a great job, I was doing very well career-wise and my best friend was on my side. It was easier to face the pressure together from our folks.

And then it happened

My best friend got engaged. I was thrilled, little knowing what it meant for me. Now my Mom had a solid ally to bully me into finding someone pronto.

They gave every male I knew the eye. Of course it was embarrassing. I wasn’t romantically inclined even remotely towards any of them.

Then they got the brilliant idea of going through the matrimonial columns in the Sunday newspaper.

Nothing worked.

Months passed.

Mom had to travel. She made my friend promise that in her absence we’d continue the good work.

Sunday arrived. So did the newspaper.

Armed with our coffee, we decided to have fun looking at the ads.

When we were about to heave a sigh (me, of relief and she, exasperation), an ad caught my eye.

Very un-matrimonialish.

I thought, why not write?

I did. In my style. And attached a photo of me with my friend’s dog.

Believe it or not, I got a cute reply.

I decided to meet the guy when I visited his town the next month – I had a sales conference and was traveling via his city.

PS I love You Vidya Sury

We met and had a wonderful day.

We promised to keep in touch.

We wrote to each other. Snail mail days you know. Me, I’d write parcel-like letters while he would be brief. We talked on the phone, too.

We took our time to decide.

On my birthday in the end of September, he proposed.

I accepted.

And he was off overseas for three months from October.

My folks were sure I was pulling a fast one on them to buy time.

So wolf, wolf, eh?

Anyway, he was due to return in Jan the next year.

My folks froze when I quit my job. I knew I was going to another city anyway and thought it would do me good to take a couple of months off before returning to work.

He came home and met my Mom.

PS I love You Vidya Sury

Turned out our families knew each other – one more proof that it is a small world.

We got married on Feb 9 (I know, right?).

Did I mention we actually connected in Feb the previous year? On the ninth.

We are living almost happily ever after.

Good things come to those who wait.

We’ll be celebrating our 19th anniversary next Tuesday.

That’s my love story.

What’s yours?

PS I love You Vidya Sury

This is a blog hop to celebrate love: lost, or found, or—both? Whether in short fiction, or a brief essay, or poetry, or even via a song, tell us a love story. Whether it’s of loss or a happily-ever-after is up to you—as is the genre. Sci-fi, thriller, comedy, memoir—it’s all good. “Love” is, after all, so much more than just “romance”. On Monday February 1st, it’s all about love, in all its forms. The only limit is your creativity.

PS I love You Vidya Sury

This is my post for The Lost & Found: Valentine’s Edition blog hop hosted by Guilie Castillo-Oriard and Arlee Bird, and these two have enlisted fabulous help from co-hosts Denise Covey,Yolanda ReneeElizabeth Seckman, and the Ninja Captain himself,Alex Cavanaugh.

Shailaja
    February 1, 2016 at 10:36 pm

I have read a version of this story before but it gives me goosebumps every single time I read it! Classic Vidya. I just love the way your love story worked out and there’s no such thing as the right age, just the right time, no? You two make an adorable couple and I think you’ve found your Mr.Right forever!

My story is fun too. Must put it down soon 🙂
    Shailaja recently posted…Be kind or be right: What’s your choice?My Profile

Crystal Collier
    February 1, 2016 at 11:54 pm

Yay! You know, no one was a fit because there was only that one. =) I met my one young, but I still feel that way about him. I adore your love story!

February 5, 2016 at 1:23 pm

I love that, Crystal! I have some friends who met their special partner quite young and are deliriously happy! Thank you!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…My Morning MantraMy Profile

Nabanita
    February 2, 2016 at 12:24 am

Love happens when you least expect and when the time is right..They say you meet the wrong person just so that you can meet the right one, the one you are meant to be with forever… Your story is resounding testimony to fate & destiny.. Who knew the happily ever after was just at the turn of a page 😊

Alex J. Cavanaugh
    February 2, 2016 at 4:50 am

That’s wonderful you connected and got married. Love has a way of finding you when you least expect it.

February 5, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Hehe, thank you Alex! I used to tease my Mom saying that it had HER to deal with! I am truly blessed to have found my partner!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…My Morning MantraMy Profile

Guilie Castillo
    February 2, 2016 at 7:02 am

Vidya, this is a FABULOUS love story! I love-love-love it! So much of you comes across here in an understated, genuine way… Love it. Story and telling 🙂 Thanks for being a part of the Lost & Found hop, Vidya—and thanks for sharing such a beautiful piece of your history for it.
    Guilie Castillo recently posted…The Love Song That Wasn’t — Lost & Found hop + #BoTBMy Profile

February 5, 2016 at 1:28 pm

Thank you Guilie, for hosting this fabulous blog hop! Very very feel-good, especially with our anniv around the corner!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…My Morning MantraMy Profile

Rachna
    February 2, 2016 at 7:26 am

Such a beautiful tale, Vidya. Warms my heart. I love long-term relationships. Congratulations, my dear and wish you loads more of bliss. I’ve written my tale too on the blog. Such fun reminiscing. I loved the title of the post because I just love the movie.

February 5, 2016 at 1:29 pm

Thank you Rachna! It always feels so good to reflect and reminisce! 🙂 I have lost count of the number of times I’ve watched PS I love you. I didn’t even have to think for a title for this post!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Go on. Laugh.My Profile

Shantala
    February 2, 2016 at 9:14 am

Oh such a wonderful, heart warming tale of love! Also, while I can understand your folks being worried for you; there is no right age – just the right time, and the right person. 🙂
    Shantala recently posted…Without You by Preethi Venugopala | Book ReviewMy Profile

February 5, 2016 at 1:30 pm

Thank you Shantala! I agree – except in orthodox families, girls usually get married in their early twenties. So I guess they were worried for me! Things did work out! 🙂
      Vidya Sury recently posted…My Morning MantraMy Profile

February 2, 2016 at 10:09 am

Love your story and it seems love happens when you are not really looking for it. This just shows how much something is meant to be.
    Birgit recently posted…Love and flowers-2 cards plus Lost & FoundMy Profile

Obsessivemom
    February 2, 2016 at 10:18 am

Aw that’s a sweet love story – unpretentious and everlasting. Can’t escape love, can you :-).
    Obsessivemom recently posted…Why holidays without kids are essential for momsMy Profile

Sid
    February 2, 2016 at 12:16 pm

One word – AWWWWW!!!! Love truly makes the world go round 🙂
    And having met your better half, you surely seem made for each other.
    Sid recently posted…Honey, I shrunk the jeans!My Profile

February 5, 2016 at 1:32 pm

🙂 Thank you Sid. I love how different we are, yet so united in so many ways!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…My Morning MantraMy Profile

Beloo Mehra
    February 2, 2016 at 2:28 pm

Loved reading about your love story, Vidya! I agree, there is so much more to love than romance. It is often the movies and the card companies (and chocolate brands and florists etc) which keep on selling this image of ‘romantic love’ for their own commercial reasons 🙂
    Wishing you and Mr. Vidya a very happy anniversary! May the love continue to find new expressions.
    Beloo Mehra recently posted…Chintan: India and Me: Part 5b: AnalysisMy Profile

February 5, 2016 at 1:33 pm

Thank you Beloo! Special “Days” are too commercialized. Nevertheless, I think in a way it is okay as it encourages those who are usually not expressive to say the words. Thank you!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…My Morning MantraMy Profile

Inderpreet Kaur
    February 3, 2016 at 10:48 pm

That is such a cute love story. Just right for you! I can imagine you with you sweet smile and that twinkle in your eye!
    Mr Sury had to be hooked!
    Inderpreet Kaur recently posted…TurmoilMy Profile

Vasantha Vivek
    February 12, 2016 at 11:30 am

Happy ending romantic story, Vidya !!! Thanks for sharing !!!