You know, July is my favorite month. Somehow, new things, significant changes, new jobs – have all happened during July, almost throughout my life. Consider these:
- Every new job I took up was in July. I remember, during an interview, years ago, the interviewer asked me why I switched jobs with “clinical precision” in July. At the time I was amused, because I had not paid attention to it.I answered, “Divine Intervention”. Truth.
- I started working from home in July 2004 and in July 2005, began work as a freelance writer and business blogger. My long term projects always come in during July!
- I started this blog, Going A-Musing, in July 2003 – this is significant because Google acquired Blogger in 2003 – and I remember being so thrilled about writing online! I blog because I love it. I am happy to think that I’ve been featured on some great blogs and have had the pleasure of being invited to guest post on some.
- Talking of featured, Evita Ochel shared my story on the July issue of her online magazine, Evolving Beings in Action. And how happy and touched I was to see most of you come over there and comment! Thank you!
- July was also the month when the first ever guest post was scheduled here, but I went ahead and published it on June 29. Going A-Musing’s first guest post was my friend, the wonderful Terri Sonoda, who published her first book “Sarah’s Sleep”. I loved the book! I plan to have more guest posters in the future.
- I bought my beloved scooter (A Honda Activa) in July 2003 and it is as great as ever to scoot around on it! In fact, I wrote my first blog post at the same time.
|Oh! I know it is a bad scan – but you get the idea, right?|
- This July, I was also invited to be a volunteer at the Natural Parents Network by Dionna Ford, blogger at Code Name: Mama and co-founder of the Natural Parents Network (I’ve been following her blog for years now and just love it). I am excited about this.
- Another fun fact for this July – Ah, I must tell you this. My blogs are not monetized, unless you count the random Google AdSense ads under each post. I signed up for AdSense in December 2007 and have disabled it on and off on my blogs. (I write two more: Your Medical Guide and Coffee With Mi!). I’ve had the same AdSense account on all three blogs, about 33 months here and for a little over two years on the other two. And guess what? In July 2012, my earnings actually touched (gasp!) 100 dollars. Surprisingly, Your Medical Guide is responsible for this. I expect that Google will actually send me a check next month. Imagine!
Let me not bore you with a longer list of July achievements – suffice it to say that it is my happy month and here’s what I decided to do, to celebrate it. You see, I’ve been succumbing to work pressure lately. I also enjoy reading my favorite blogs.
- Which means I spend a lot of time online.
- Which means I am not as OCD as I was about keeping my house clutter free.
- Which means I must find a way to tackle it because not worrying about it will not make the problem go away.
I figured that the most sensible thing to do is to simplify life. Rather than shuffle stuff around and increase my work (who loves dusting?), I thought it might be best to take stock and – take action. I have kept on planning to do some major deep cleaning but you and I, we both know that intentions are all very well, but actions speak. Much louder.
So here is what I am doing every day. I give something away. Every. Single. Day. It does not matter how small or big it is. I will write down what I give away each day – just to make myself accountable to my goal. My giveaways are food, clothing, utensils, books, extra stuff – anything. I started off with a bang by sponsoring a young girl’s vocational training for one year at one of my regular institutions, Samarthanam Trust for the Disabled, which I support on a regular basis. This training will enable her take up a job. This is special for me because she’s blind and I am proud of what that institution is doing.
Win-win situation, don’t you think?
Well. That’s all for now.
Here’s some great news: Jeff Goins, Writer, whose blog I follow with great pleasure, is practically giving away the Kindle version of his latest book, “Wrecked” which has had rave reviews at $ 0.99 until August 11, 2012 – which is like 92 % off. Do get a copy. We’d like to see him rise to No.1 on Amazon, and overtake Fifty Shades of Grey. If you feel inclined to support him, do buy the Kindle version. Even if you don’t – do check out his blog. He rocks, does Jeff!
Great blog posts I read this week:
7 Reasons Why Making A ‘To Done’ List Will Unleash Your Creativity – Fran Sorin’s list posts are simply awesome!
11 Steps and 11 Quotes to Radical Personal Change (A Tribute to Stephen R. Covey) – Ken Wert is among my very favorite bloggers and a very inspiring one.
Expectations – Realistic or Unrealistic? Good or Bad? – David Stevens’ posts are just perfect – short, thought provoking and enriching.
Did I hear you say “happy birthday no.9” to my blog?
Thank you for subscribing to my blog! Do consider leaving a comment – or just reply to this email! I’d love to know what you think.