The holidays are around the corner, and if you know or have kids, you’re probably wondering about the best gift you can buy them. Sure, they have their wish-lists, but I’ve found that it is especially hard to come up with one that lists the best gifts for 8-year-old boys. Most of us want these to be educational toys that will help them reach their developmental milestones–we want them to be happy and have fun as they grow.
I remember how my son used to spend hours with his building blocks—he also loved activity books and board games. He wasn’t much into sports but definitely enjoyed running around the playground. Thing is, kids this age love to be busy and active and it makes sense to gift them something that will also strengthen their skills.
Every child has to reach an expected developmental milestone, and 8-year-old boys can often have a steep learning curve. They experience important changes as they transition from early childhood to middle childhood.
Generally, 8-year-old boys are eager to learn. They love challenges and are more open to handling complex activities and games. That’s why toys that foster learning, concentration, and active play make the best gifts for this age group.
Here are the best gifts for 8-year-old boys that can help them achieve their developmental milestones:
Best gifts for 8-year-old boys
There are many great gifts for 8 year old boys that tackle engineering, chemistry, science, and mechanics, such as STEM toys. But what do STEM toys mean? This acronym stands for
Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. STEM toys are geared towards developing a child’s knowledge and skills in these learning areas.
Inspire your 8-year-old boy to play with STEM toys by giving him one on a special day, like his 8th birthday, Christmas, or New Year. Who knows? Your son, nephew, or grandson could be the next Albert Einstein. As early as now, stir his curiosity and stimulate his learning towards these essential topics and industries.
Some examples of STEM toys you can give as gifts for an 8-year-old boy:
- Chemistry sets
- Optical science kit
- Educational robot kit
- Programmable rover
Active or Outdoor Toys
Is your 8-year-old boy into gadgets or online video games? While online games get children to keep still or silent, they need to be physically active for proper growth and development, especially for their musculo-skeletal system.
Active or outdoor toys can help promote physical activity. With these toys, you can have peace of mind knowing that your child will meet the expected developmental milestones for his age. Also, they feel energized, active, and more devoted to collaborative play, which requires teamwork.
These active or outdoor toys are ideal for 8-year-old boys:
- Bubble Kit: Young boys can make giant bubbles using bubble kits. These kits contain a bubble mix and a wand. It is a fun outdoor toy best for birthday parties, parks, and beach picnics.
- Bicycle: If your son hasn’t really mastered riding a two-wheeled vehicle, start stimulating his interest by giving him a bicycle. Biking is also a great bonding activity for parents and children, especially for dads and their sons.
- River Stones: These toys are like the stones found in rivers where you need to hop or extend your feet, as well as bend your knees and core to get from one stone to another to reach your destination. River stone toys have rubber bases to prevent slipping. Your 8-year-old boy and his friends can play river stones both outdoors and indoors. It is a perfect toy that promotes agility, balance, and coordination.
- Balls: The best sports activities are ball games. Whether your 8-year-old boy wants to play basketball, volleyball, or soccer, it’s nice to receive a new and premium quality ball this holiday.
Because school-age children love learning, board games also make a perfect gift for any 8-year-old boy. These toys help them develop their problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as well as help you raise resilient kids.
Below is a list of board game gifts that are perfect for 8-year-old boys:
- Snakes and Ladders: For those who want pure fun and adventure with a bit of luck, Snakes and Ladders are perfect. Don’t hesitate to join them!
- Chess: Help your young boy develop sensible tactics with a chessboard. You can teach him the basic moves and have fun playing chess together.
- Game of the Generals: Like chess, this board game helps a young boy develop his keen attention to detail and planning or problem-solving skills.
- Scrabble: If he is interested in words, Scrabble can be the perfect board game to practice his spelling, as well as enhance his vocabulary.
Construction and Art Toys
These toys help ignite an 8-year-old boy’s creativity and love for art and building, design, or engineering. While kids at this age love skipping, jumping, and running around, they also love building toys and artwork, like painting, coloring, and making interesting and fun things out of different art materials.
Here are the best construction and art gifts you can give an 8-year-old boy:
- Complete set of crayons
- Watercolor sets
- Different types and sizes of art papers
- Building blocks or brick toys
- Activity books
- Mini figures
At 8 years, children have a better understanding of other people’s feelings, and they’re able to control their emotions better than when they were younger. Also, 8-year-old boys can solve more problems, have a fairly extensive vocabulary, enjoy competition, and love to be part of a team. That’s why board games, outdoor toys, arts, and construction toys make the list of best gifts to give to 8-year-old boys.
What would you like to add to this list?
Thanks for sharing the information about the best gifts for 8-year-old boys reach milestones. Your blog is very helpful for more people.
Being the mom of an 8 year old, I can very well relate to all the above toys/games.
I loved Stem toys as a kid – I was a bit of a nerd, lol. I loved constructing things and designing things. I love your suggestions for board games. I never learned chess, but I played checkers and Chinese checkers with my grandparents and they helped me develop a strategy.
Diane recently posted…Ideas For a Christmas Vacation
These are such cool gifts ideas for kids which are not only fun but educational too. STEM Toys are wonderful for science and tech lover kids.These math-filled and science-rich toys are a great way to inculcate the love of science in kids early on. Board games teach a lot about strategy, skills and patience. I’d like to add Zenga to your list. It’s improves focus and concentration and is fun too!
Shilpa Garg recently posted…Struggling After Husband’s Death, Widow’s Tea Stall Was Transformed by Art & Kindness! #WATWB
I can see myself going overboard while buying STEM toys once my baby grows up. I really wish I had all these toys to play when I was growing up. I always buy something arty for cousin who loves arts and crafts. The supermarket have so many options these days.
Rajlakshmi recently posted…Bloom – Zentangle Inspired Artwork
Brings back memories. I think Rubik’s cube deserves a place in your suggestion since it helps kids so much to develop their memory and tactics. Thanks for sharing 🙂