health and wellness tips

Why I Believe In The Health Benefits of Drinking Water

health benefits of drinking water

Water may not be the most exciting, tastiest beverage, but there is no denying the many health benefits of drinking water on a daily basis. With so many beverage options, such as coffee, tea, soda, and juices, most of us actually forget to pour ourselves a glass of water. Yes, I am guilty of choosing coffee over water. In fact, the only time I think of water is when there is no other option or when I am cooking.

However, health experts recommend that adults drink about eight glasses of water each day. This may seem like a lot, but when you consider the amazing benefits of this fluid, you’ll gladly add water to your daily regimen. I completely agree. Especially after being diagnosed with diabetes, I consider water the tastiest beverage and have made it my friend. Of course, the warm weather makes it easy. I think of water as my liquid asset!

“Think of water as a nutrient your body needs that is present in liquids, plain water, and foods. All of these are essential daily to replace the large amounts of water lost each day,” says Joan Koelemay, RD, dietitian for the Beverage Institute, a resource for health professionals on the science of beverages, hydration and active healthy living.

But I’ve noticed that even though people recognize the health benefits of drinking water, they tend to frown at the idea simply because they don’t like the taste, or maybe the water at home has a funny odor or they rely on weight loss drugs that work to take care of their health. To each their own, I’m not going to judge anyone. I urge everyone to try harder though.
I remember, when we lived in Hyderabad, the tap water used to taste naturally sweet and pleasant. It is not the same where we live now. However, there are plenty of ways to improve the taste and smell of the water that flows through your pipes.

And sometimes, installing a home filtration system does the trick. But be picky and choose from the Best Water Softener Systems.

“A whole house water filter completely reduces the bad tastes and odors of chlorine and chloramines without removing essential and healthy minerals such as calcium and magnesium,” says LifeSource’s hard water treatments.

health benefits of drinking water

So, what exactly are the natural health benefits of clean, good water? Plenty, but here are five prominent ones:

1. Balances the fluids in your body

Since our bodies are composed of about 60% water, reports the Mayo Clinic, we need adequate fluids to keep our body functioning like clockwork. Everything from digestion to the production of saliva is influenced by the fluids in our body. And unfortunately, failing to drink water can have a negative impact on on our body’s functions, triggering dehydration, dry skin and even fatigue.

health benefits of drinking water

2. Helps control your weight

If you’re looking to lose a few pounds, drinking eight glasses of water a day can help your weight loss efforts. For example, if you drink a glass of water before meals, you’ll feel fuller quicker, resulting in eating fewer calories. Likewise, drinking water on a regular basis can stimulate urination, which is how your body releases excess fluids that contribute to water weight.

3. Maintains bowel functions

If you suffer from constipation or other digestive issues, maybe the problem is not enough water. The same way water keeps the rest of your body hydrated, it also keeps your gastrointestinal tract hydrated, preventing hard stools or constipation. Rather than turn to medications as the first resort, increase your water consumption. You may see an improvement in your condition.

4. Fights fatigue

If you’re always sluggish, maybe you’re not drinking enough water. It’s possible to be dehydrated and have zero symptoms. And when you’re dehydrated, your blood volume drops, causing your heart to work harder pushing oxygen into your bloodstream. Bodily systems may begin to slow down, and as a result, you may feel more tired or lethargic. For a quick energy boost, drink a bottle or glass of water.

5. Keeps your skin looking healthy

Frustrated about acne or dry skin? Increasing your water intake can make a huge difference. Dry skin can be a direct result of dehydration. I should know! And since fluids help flush toxins out of your body, drinking water can also mean fewer breakouts, resulting in clear, healthier looking skin.

If you haven’t already, make it your aim to drink at least eight glasses of water each day. For added flavor, squeeze a few drops of lemon juice into your water, or add other fruits for natural sweetness. Slices of cucumber can also be very refreshing. And yes, iced tea counts!

Stay healthy! ♥

Just one more thing!

Do visit my post at the Blogging Betties: How to zap Blogger’s Block Forever. I’ve listed ten easy tips! Tell me which one is your favorite!

bloggers-block

Mary Stephenson
    May 21, 2014 at 12:48 am

Hi Vidya

Ah yes, water by choice! Once you get into the habit it is very easy to continue drinking water even at a restaurant. I would drink water even if I had to pay for it. Can’t stand the sugar-filled drinks on the market. Don’t even care for lemonade anymore.

Activated charcoal is great for filtering water and has zero taste and is so good for you.

I think once someone gets in the habit of drinking more water, they then become aware of how much they should be drinking. You will feel dehydrated a whole lot sooner and you will reach for water instead of a snack. Most of the time people have their wires crossed and think they are hungry, when in fact they are really thirsty.

Mary

Stephanie Faris
    May 21, 2014 at 6:13 am

We have a filtration system and my husband still won’t drink water! I use Crystal Light drink mix in mine–I know that’s not quite as good as pure water, but it’s sugar free and caffeine free–so the artificial sweeteners are the only bad thing. It’s the only way I can make myself drink 8 glasses, though.
    Stephanie Faris recently posted…My Mini Book TourMy Profile

Proactive Indian
    May 21, 2014 at 8:42 am

Drinking sufficient water is a habit that has to be cultivated. Each person has to find her/his own method to do this.

I normally consume about 2 – 3 litres of water per day plus a litre of green tea in addition to morning coffee. This has all the positive results you’ve mentioned, the only possible negative being one may have to visit the washroom frequently during winters :-).
    Proactive Indian recently posted…Achche Din Aane Wale Hain? (Good days are coming?)My Profile

May 21, 2014 at 10:04 am

You are right, Pro! What we do is fill a certain number of bottles of water for each of us as a must-consume. So easy to get caught up with what we are doing and not realize it until we’re desperately thirsty. Ok. Me. Not everyone. 🙂 And it is easier in summer than in winter. The more I read about it, the more conscious I am about it. 🙂 Thanks for commenting!

devangana
    May 21, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Drinking water contibutes to weight loss, this is a new info for me.

Shailaja V
    May 21, 2014 at 5:19 pm

I am very guilty of this. I don’t drink water as often as I should. The days I work out, I down two litres without any trouble. And although I have read these reminders before, it becomes important to read them over and over until they are etched in your brain. Thanks Vidya.
    Shailaja V recently posted…A ‘trashy’ taleMy Profile

Meena Menon
    May 21, 2014 at 5:39 pm

I actually end up drinking more water at work cause I hv a botlle right in front n its almost an unconcious habbt! But at home….
    Meena Menon recently posted…Chinnu….My Profile

Shilpa Garg
    May 21, 2014 at 6:06 pm

I used to drink very less water in a day and it was pointed time and again to me by family. And then I found an app that reminds you to drink water and tracks your water drinking habits. After using the app for a week, and drinking water once it reminded me with the beeps on the phone, it became a habit. And I can see the difference… especially on my skin! 🙂
    Shilpa Garg recently posted…Far Beyond the Dead EndMy Profile

Amit Joshi
    May 21, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Hello Vidya, can you suggest how to ensure kids are drinking the required amount of water especially in summer?

May 21, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Hi Amit! Here is what I practice – ensure that my son finishes a 1.5 liter bottle of water during the day, in addition to other fluids (milk, fruits with water content, and 1 juice). Then, drink water before playing, during play and after play. Drink water whenever thirsty. Also, drink water after visiting the washroom. This more or less keeps them well-hydrated!

Debbie
    May 21, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Great post Vidya! I do try to drink the required 8 glasses a day, but usually fall short. My husband doesn’t like drinking water at all and it’s a real chore getting him to drink it, but I insist, with dinner at least. We use Brita filters in a jug.
    Debbie recently posted…BITCHES, BABES AND BROADSMy Profile

Kathy Combs
    May 21, 2014 at 8:58 pm

I am guilty of not drinking near enough. I have tried to do better ever since I collapse at the county fair one year and experienced severe heat exhaustion and dehydration. It was awful!
    Kathy Combs recently posted…I Will FollowMy Profile

May 22, 2014 at 2:52 am

I am bad and I have to say-I don’t like water-sorry:( I do drink it at work and have about 2 glasses at work. I tried , more than once, to drink 8 glasses and when i moved, you could hear the water”splash” around in my stomach and then I felt nauseous and I threw up water. Every time! So now I have sparkling water with a little orange juice and combined with just plain water I have at least 8 glasses. no idea why I throw up with just water but I burp and up it comes and away we go:)
    Birgit recently posted…Happy Birthday to niece #1My Profile

Suzie Cheel
    May 22, 2014 at 3:38 am

Water is such a great healer, and something I do each day as part of my healing program. I drink 3 litres a day and make mine alkaline with lemon
    Namaste
    Suzie Cheel recently posted…Do You Welcome Money Into Your Life?My Profile

Rajlakshmi
    May 22, 2014 at 9:40 am

I always keep a bottle of water at my desk, even at home. Specially during winter when I forget to drink water. Wonderful points you have shared.
    Rajlakshmi recently posted…WTF Wednesdays – Of Hooters & BridenappingMy Profile

simple girl
    May 22, 2014 at 10:20 am

even I am guilty of not drinking water that much.. Thanks for the reminder..
    simple girl recently posted…AtoZchallenge – Z for… Oh yes, the last post for the challengeMy Profile

Suzy
    May 22, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Water is a great drink. I do drink a lot but should start measuring how much.
    Suzy recently posted…InnocenceMy Profile

Eloquent Mind
    May 22, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Great article Vidya. I’ve been strictly following my water intake over the past couple of months and it surprises me to notice my actual quantity. Starting my day with 3 cups of lukewarm water refreshes me and keeps my acne issues at bay. Thanks for sharing the information.

Eloquent Mind
    Eloquent Mind recently posted…Choosing Life…My Profile

Melissa
    May 22, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Great article Vidya!

I know from first hand experience that water prevents me from getting headaches and also significantly reduces any inflammation I may get at times. Your Body’s Many Cries for Water by F. Batmanghelidj is a great resource in this. Thanks for sharing sweet lady 😉
    Melissa recently posted…Is This Fear All Your Own?My Profile

Susan Scott
    May 23, 2014 at 10:57 am

Thanka Vidya good reminder. I drink hot water even in summer. I like it plain or occasionally with a vanilla chai tea. This apart from daily regular tea and coffee.
    Susan Scott recently posted…Field of PotentialMy Profile

Obsessivemom
    May 23, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Going to the gym taught me the importance of water. And from someone who lived on a single glass a day I now manage some 3 litres or more. Isn’t that just great? I can attest all the above benefits.

Carol Graham
    May 24, 2014 at 6:34 am

Heavy water drinker here! But I till could do more. Two large glasses in the morning immediately upon rising and your energy level will go up. Water helps with aches and pains too. Good post – good information. We all need to be reminded and encouraged. One of the best habit to have – your body will thank you by lasting longer!
    Carol Graham recently posted…Wouldn’t You Love To Be A Fly On The Wall?My Profile

Gina Valley (@GinaValley)
    May 25, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Great post! You are so right about the benefits of water. I am constantly amazed at what a difference it makes in how I feel when I’m well hydrated. My kids are learning how important it is, too. My teens skin is much clearer when they have enough water. And, it’s so much healthier than soda or juice!
    Gina Valley ( recently posted…Top 10 Vital Preps Before My Kids Start Summer BreakMy Profile

Beloo Mehra
    May 25, 2014 at 6:46 pm

This is a good reminder for me. Thanks Vidya 🙂 I should be drinking more water than I normally do! But like you I drink often during/immediately after cooking, esp when making chapatis I get very thirsty 🙂 And yes mornings too, before my tea.
    Off to check out your blog on blogging block now 🙂
    Beloo Mehra recently posted…If Only I Could Go BackMy Profile

Jamie
    May 26, 2014 at 9:23 pm

For me, water was essential in losing extra weight. Anytime I felt hungry when I shouldn’t, I would gulp a large glass of water and it kept those pangs at bay. Water is my weight loss secret!
    Jamie recently posted…Best Black Leggings For WomenMy Profile

Monica Deshpande
    May 28, 2014 at 7:36 pm

I have a bottle of water on my desk as a reminder and one on every room at home. It is easy to forget if it is out of sight.
    My yoga teacher recommends adding a slice of lemon for those who don’t like drinking plain water. 🙂
    A great reminder, Vidya. Thanks!
    Monica Deshpande recently posted…Crusty loafMy Profile

Andrea
    May 30, 2014 at 9:49 pm

I think I’m one of the few who actually enjoys drinking water! Its Winter now so I’m a bit hesitant to drink water, I cant stand the cold. But, it does have amazing health benefits and I’ve experienced all the benefits H20 has to offer 🙂

Tony
    June 22, 2014 at 9:20 am

Great article water is very crucial for the human body. We need to stay hydrated and water does the job perfectly!
    Tony recently posted…5 Amazing Health Benefits From Cranberry JuiceMy Profile