#AtoZChallenge

Vidya Sury A to Z Challenge

Vidya Sury A to Z Challenge 2016

Vidya Sury A to Z Challenge 2016

Vidya Sury A to Z Challenge 2016

Vidya Sury A to Z Challenge 2016

Vidya Sury A to Z Challenge 2016

There you go! I actually wrote my A to Z Challenge theme reveal post today in a waiting room. Yes, there were websites – with spiders – and we enjoyed watching them go about their job!

Now, the transcript of those handwritten notes:

Little did I think I would be writing my A to Z Challenge 2016 Theme Reveal post, waiting at the passport office – waiting, in fact, to be harassed with nothing to show fo rit after several hours – of running around, in the sun and upstairs and downstairs, because you know, that’s how they roll!

So while my son, whose passport renewal was the reason we were there, was busy composing poetry, I decided to “write”, really write my posts. But not before I had finished fretting over the two hours it had taken us to get there, and heaven knew how many more before we left.

“Mummy”, said my son, “You really should count our blessings“.

As I looked at him, a smile spreading across my face, we did indeed follow through with action. Here is what we listed:

1. Cool room. Big deal, because it was very hot outside
  2. Water to drink. Nectar, really!
  3. Each other’s company.
  4. The thought of visiting that dessert place on the way home.
  5. Traveling comfortably by cab – so grateful we could afford it.
  6. A snack bar outside, should we get the munches.
  7. The luxury of time. Yes, we were grateful.
  8. The anticipation of meeting a very close friend after we were done at the passport office.

Guess what? My theme of the A to Z Challenge had just taken birth, thanks to my son. As we appreciated the here and now….

drumroll…

Living in the moment…

Mindful living

That, my friends, is what I will be writing about in April 2016 for this year’s A to Z Challenge.

Expect (Gasp!) fairly short posts that will include a mindfulness exercise or practice you can use. Something like Smiling meditation and chocolate meditation. I hope to bundle these posts into an ebook and that thought excites me.

Last year, I enjoyed going with the theme of writing Letters to my son, which seemed appropriate, what with his going away to college soon after.

I used to think it was easier not to go with a theme, but after last year, I am convinced that it makes sense because:

1. It is easier to plan around a theme
  2. It keeps me focused
  3. I can structure my posts
  4. I feel a nice sense of consistency
  5. You know what to expect

Not saying not having a theme is not okay – but yeah, having experienced both, I’d lean towards a theme.

This year, which is my fourth year with the A to Z Challenge, I am participating with four blogs and I am with Team Damyanti, D’s Company.

Yes, I love the A to Z Challenge!

Vidya Sury, Collecting Smiles (you are here, thank you!) – Living Mindfully

Be Healthy Be Happy – healthy living

Life Hacks for Diabetics – no brainer, as the posts will be exactly that.

Life Hacks for Happiness – what the title says!

So, looking forward to all the fun, the excitement, the stress and enjoyment!

What’s your theme for the A to Z Challenge this year?

Here’s the link to sign up for the A to Z Challenge

Three years ago, A to Z participant Mina Lobo started the Theme Reveal – and we continue this fun tradition today! Here’s the theme reveal linky

Vidya Sury A to Z Challenge 2016

Debbie D
    March 22, 2016 at 3:03 am

Harkening back to a previous post of yours, you truly are SUPERWOMAN, Vidya! 🙂 WOW! Four blogs for the A to Z PLUS responsibilities with Damyanti’s team? I am in awe of this. Exhausting just to think about. Good luck with the challenge and your ebook! 🙂
    Debbie D recently posted…THE GREAT THEME REVEAL OF 2016! #AtoZChallenge #AtoZRevealMy Profile

March 22, 2016 at 10:05 am

Debbie, sometimes I do wonder if my head was in the right place when I entered 4 blogs…but then I love a challenge! So happy to see you here – thanks for your encouraging words! I have set myself some lofty goals for March-April and I suspect I will achieve them 🙂 I am looking forward to your posts in April – I love a good anecdote! Hugs!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Because sometimes you have to bring your own sunshineMy Profile

SID
    March 22, 2016 at 6:45 am

Well, you sure take the adage ‘where there’s a will, there’s a way’ a bit too seriously 😊
    Good luck for A-Z, but you’re already a legend at it.
    PS. Nice handwriting and I don’t think a transcript of the same was necessary 🙂
    SID recently posted…Of Kids and competitive parentsMy Profile

March 22, 2016 at 10:09 am

Thank you, Sid. Not sure about the legend part, but I am certainly over-enthusiastic about these things – how well I do them is a variable. Well I had to transcript because a certain someone asked if I expected everyone to be able to read it 🙂 Hehehe. Hugs! Always grateful for your support!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…5 Essential Daily Visualization ExercisesMy Profile

Tamil Arasan
      March 31, 2016 at 11:35 pm

SID author must be praised but not in this way. Read few articles in this blog She is a Super women 🙂
      Handwriting should be improved, can’t able to read few lines. Thanks for transcript so everyone can understand easily.

Damyanti
    March 22, 2016 at 7:51 am

Love your theme, Vidya! And your handwriting– wowssers. mine is like spider crawl..
    Damyanti recently posted…Will You help Kids in Need? #atozchallengeMy Profile

March 22, 2016 at 10:39 am

Thank you Damyanti! I decided to post the handwritten post at the last minute… Looking forward to Team and Theme fun during A to Z! Glad we’re together again this year!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Gratitude is like a flashlightMy Profile

Dahlia
    March 22, 2016 at 8:25 am

Hello Vidya interesting topic and look forward to reading more and learning to live better 🙂
    Dahlia recently posted…You are Invited!My Profile

Karen O'Connor
    March 22, 2016 at 8:31 am

Living in the Moment is one of my biggest challenges, and something I would like to achieve more often than I do. I love this theme and am looking forward to some of your exercises and thoughts around mindfulness.

March 22, 2016 at 10:16 am

Thank you Karen! Life has been rather full of ups and downs over the past few months and I figured this would be the best theme – writing about what I’ve been practising. I am looking forward to sharing what I’ve learned 🙂

You have a lovely blog. Just read your St.Patricks Day post – and it seems so much fun!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…When I’m 60 this is how I want to enjoy my lifeMy Profile

Guilie Castillo
    March 22, 2016 at 9:00 am

Vidya, I love it — and I love your handwriting! Mine, never gorgeous to begin with, has through disuse become a thing of disgust 😀 (But I still insist on handwriting my journals…) What a beautiful lesson, and what a beautiful theme. As always, I’ll be looking forward to your April posts.

P.S. — Three hurrahs for D’s Company! 😉
    Guilie Castillo recently posted…#atozchallenge 2016 Theme Reveal: The A to Z of #Dog RescuingMy Profile

March 22, 2016 at 10:41 am

Thanks so much for the lovely comment, Guilie! Journalling is so much fun and I always make it a point to carry a book with me to write in. Never once regretted it! I agree with the handwriting disuse though – most of our work is done with a keyboard and it gets harder to really write with a pen. I am trying to keep that habit alive.
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Gratitude is like a flashlightMy Profile

Nilanjana Bose
    March 22, 2016 at 10:23 am

Hi, I have to say I am thoroughly in awe of your A-Zing expertise – 4 blogs, whoa! I don’t have the foggiest as to what chocolate meditation is, but it sounds just my cup of tea! 🙂 Have a great A-Z!

Best wishes,
    Nilanjana.
    Nilanjana Bose recently posted…A-Z Challenge Theme RevealMy Profile

March 22, 2016 at 10:35 am

Thank you Nilanjana! If you like chocolate, you will love the meditation! I am all about easy to put into action stuff! 🙂 Looking forward to the A to Z Challenge with you!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Gratitude is like a flashlightMy Profile

Michelle Wallace
    March 22, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Vidya, I LOVE long hand.
    At heart, I’m an old-fashioned pen-and-paper gal! 🙂
    Your theme unfolded “in the moment” – that’s truly organic.
    I’ll see you around on the A to Z circuit!
    Michelle Wallace recently posted…The 2016 A to Z Challenge Theme RevealMy Profile

Inderpreet Kaur
    March 22, 2016 at 4:38 pm

I love your handwriting Vidya! So neat. I think mindful living is an excellent theme. Eager to learn so much this April.
    Inderpreet Kaur recently posted…#AtoZChallenge Theme RevealMy Profile

Felicia
    March 22, 2016 at 6:00 pm

I recently came across an Eckhart Tolle quote, “Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it. Always work with it, not against it.”

You and your son exemplified that while sitting in the passport office.

And to agree with other comments, no transcription was required. Vidya, you have a very nice handwriting.

As usual, another great post. 🙂
    Felicia recently posted…Not My Intention for NJFMMy Profile

Jemima Pett
    March 22, 2016 at 9:00 pm

You’re wonderful, Vidya, and I am truly grateful for the fates that helped Damyanti bring us together. I am not the best of followers, but I do read your posts, and sometimes I just wish I could have a morsel of your mindfulness. But then I remember – stop trying, and just be. As something else I read said: We are not called human doings, we are human beings.
    Really looking forward to more of your inspirational wisdom this April – don’t work too hard and forget to enjoy it, though 🙂
    Jemima Pett recently posted…#AtoZChallenge – theme revealMy Profile

Jemima Pett
      March 22, 2016 at 9:02 pm

PS I hope you got to that dessert place 🙂

March 22, 2016 at 10:32 pm

Jemima, I wondered if anyone would ask me that! Unfortunately it was pretty late by the time we started back home and we were tired… so decided to skip it and go another day. 🙂 Heheh. Hugs!
        Vidya Sury recently posted…Stop teaching your sons My Profile

Rubina
    March 22, 2016 at 9:16 pm

You know what Vidya I read your handwritten notes and thought you have written it like that. It looked so beautiful and personal. Like a writer sharing their inner most feeling with the readers. Looking forward to your posts. As always motivating and full of positivity.

March 22, 2016 at 10:33 pm

Rubes, I did write it! But decided to type it also, just in case it wasn’t very clear to read. I often write my posts and then type them up. Hehehe. Hugs! Thank you!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Stop teaching your sons My Profile

Seena
    March 22, 2016 at 9:36 pm

Hi Vidya! Love the handwritten manuscript. A great theme that will benefit everyone reading am sure.:) and I guess four blogs is raising the bar! Congrats and good luck. Looking forward to it..

Shalini
    March 22, 2016 at 10:22 pm

You will ace it this time also, Mam. I’m so looking forward to reading your posts. Esp. this one! Let’s have a rocking April 🙂
    Shalini recently posted…Spilling the Beans #AtoZChallenge ThemeReveal 2016 @AprilAtoZMy Profile

Shailaja Vishwanath
    March 22, 2016 at 10:28 pm

Lovely theme,fabulous post and incredibly neat handwriting! Sigh,mine is.?never mind. I’m sure you’ll do fine with four blogs but gasp! Four blogs!

Hugs and all the best for the A-Z 💜💓
    Shailaja Vishwanath recently posted…Blog, podcast or vlog? What do readers want?My Profile

Shilpa Garg
    March 22, 2016 at 10:47 pm

Maate… aapke charan kahan hain?!! You are super amazing, Vidya… 4 blogs!! Your theme will make us reflect and inspire too. Looking forward to read you this April! And you have a beautiful handwriting. ♥
    Shilpa Garg recently posted…A To Z Challenge 2016 Theme RevealMy Profile

Alex J. Cavanaugh
    March 23, 2016 at 1:09 am

Mindful living – fits your site well.
    I can’t believe how many blogs of yours are participating in the Challenge. I am in awe.
    Alex J. Cavanaugh recently posted…The Great A to Z Challenge Theme Reveal! Plus News on Daredevil, Kingsman 2, Indiana Jones 5, and Ninja NewsMy Profile

Andrea
    March 23, 2016 at 3:24 am

Love the theme Vidya, it’s so important to be reminded of that every day, I’m glad we’ll have you do it for us ☺

Andrea

March 23, 2016 at 6:47 am

Your handwriting is so pretty…mine looks like a teenaged Doctor. I am looking forward to your posts and I a actually excited to try your exercises which will only bring happy thoughts. Loving it!
    Birgit recently posted…Music and Words Award-Thank You!My Profile

Shubhangi
    March 23, 2016 at 10:55 am

If I haven’t said this before…lemme say it now….You have a fantabulous handwriting Vidya! The theme is lovely and I look forward to seeing you in April!

Yolanda Renee
    March 24, 2016 at 1:50 am

Such a wonderful idea, love your blog. Thanks for following, I’ll be doing the same!
    Positively love what you did!

Stephen
    March 24, 2016 at 11:57 am

This is an interesting theme. I look forward to read your April posts 🙂

And yeah I smiled today 😀
    Stephen recently posted…A to Z Challenge 2016 – Theme RevealMy Profile

My Era
    March 24, 2016 at 8:01 pm

Wow! FOUR blogs and here I was worrying of completing the challenge. Your very inspiring post has got me all pumped up for the A to Z Challenge with renewed zest. You are going to be my guiding light all along.
    Way to go Vidya, you are A.W.E.S.O.M.E. <3
    Loved your theme & thank you for sharing your experience from having taken up the challenge earlier too. It was very helpful 🙂
    I'm so glad that I came across you through your blog 😀
    My Era recently posted…Awkwardness -6My Profile

March 25, 2016 at 7:42 pm

Hehehe, Hugs! Sometimes I wonder how I’ll manage … but I function best under pressure – it works positively for me and I am excited too! I am glad we connected, too! Let’s buddy up through the challenge – I am looking forward to reading your posts – and you know what? You’re going to ace it!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Why Forgiveness HealsMy Profile

Vasantha Vivek
    March 25, 2016 at 12:08 pm

Excited to read so much for April !!!
    Vasantha Vivek recently posted…Feel Your Feelings – #MondayMusingsMy Profile

themoonstone
    March 26, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Beautiful post Vidya. Mindful living is something I try to consciously follow whenever I can, You have a beautiful handwriting, loved reading your handwritten note,
    themoonstone recently posted…TeaspoonMy Profile

Arti
    March 29, 2016 at 1:55 am

Hi Vidya, I fell in love with your ‘did you smile today Budha’ when I first stumbled upon your blog and bookmarked the page. What’s not to go ‘goo goo ga ga’ over your handwritten notes? Love the handwriting, the words and the meaning, but most of all the list of blessings in the waiting room. I’m going for the challenge for the first time and feel overwhelmed. Maybe, I should’ve picked a theme. I hope to dip into your cool pool of mindfulness for a refreshing sip when I feel parched in April. Thank you.

March 29, 2016 at 4:46 pm

Arti, thank you for your lovely words! To theme or not to theme is always a dilemma I enjoy! Which is why I choose a subject that’s already on this blog – so I can have fun with it. I look forward to our interaction. Hugs! Of course you know you made my day with your comment about the Buddha and the smile question! 🙂

Cassie Phillips
    March 29, 2016 at 4:13 am

Awesome theme. This is my first year doing the A to Z Challenge, so I didn’t know if I would want to go with a theme or not so I didn’t just so I had a little more freedom for my first year. I look forward to coming back to visit your posts. I struggle with mindful living as well, so maybe I can learn from your posts. Thanks!

March 29, 2016 at 4:45 pm

Hi Cassie! Thanks for coming by. Even though this is my fourth year with the AtoZ Challenge, I only tested out a theme last year and liked the idea enough to do it again this year. But I try to keep a broad topic so that I have enough freedom to play with it. I am sure you are going to enjoy participating! All the best. Looking forward to keeping in touch.
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Why Forgiveness HealsMy Profile

Mars
    March 31, 2016 at 12:56 pm

Hello!

Last minute sign up for me, but checking back in with some of the blogs I’ve enjoyed in previous years, great theme, love the list you and your son put together… I think I might have to start doing this, I try and do these in my head sometimes but perhaps I should make it more real!

Mars xx
    Mars recently posted…A to Z Challenge Theme Reveal – My Glass Beadmaking Journey!My Profile