Thanks to telecommuting, working out of home (like me) and being practically attached to a computer most of our working hours (and then some..) it has become important to ensure that we maintain proper posture if we are keen on avoiding back pain and all the other hassles that come with bad posture. Phew. That was one long sentence. But here are some quick tips to help maintain proper posture when sitting at the computer.
- Opt for a chair that is easy to adjust, feels stable, includes a backrest, and with wheels that touch the floor at a minimum of five points.
- Make sure your knees are at the level of your hips while your feet are planted on the floor.
- Use adjustable armrests to support your arms and place your elbows close to your waist.
- Make sure the seat is padded and offers at least an inch of room beyond your thighs and hips.
- The seat should slightly point toward the floor. There also should be some room between the back of your knees and the seat.
This really works, friends. And here’s what you DON’T do: