I’ve always been a fan of lists and now I am even more crazy about them after I met Rachel. She’s an expert list-maker. My motherwas also big on lists and of course, the joy of seeing the number of things we check off is unparalleled. And oh, so motivating. To make the next one, of course.Another inspiration for this post is the lists I’ve been reading the last few weeks. Kim of My Inner Chick is fabulous at making kickass lists. Terri’s lists are such fun to read. Rachel’s lists have a great tongue in cheek-ish humor that I really love.
So here’s mine. See if some of them appeal to you the same way they appeal to me.
30 things that make me instantly happy
- It is a weekday. It is raining. I continue to stay snuggled under the covers and watch the rain outside.
- Rummaging for something desperately and finding a stash of cash. YES! That would always be my mother‘s shelf, always. Instantly rich.
- Seeing someone at the supermarket, making eye-contact, feeling a great sense of deja-vu. Makes me think I know this person and I think I should make conversation. Two months later, we’re good friends like we knew each other for all time.
- Receiving a letter or parcel via courier. Email is great too, but the joy of physically holding a package is unparalleled and so exciting.
- Rushing through traffic, short on time, and finding that each time I approach the traffic lights they’re green to let me pass. Makes me feel that everything I touch today will be success.
- Experiencing a life-and-death incident and being able to relate it humorously to loved ones. And feeling even more happy to be alive.
- There’s a song going through my head and then I turn on the radio/television to hear that same song announced, and hear it play.
- Ultra thirsty. That first sip of water, knowing there’s lots more where that came from
- The heady combination of aftershave and cigarette smoke – pure nostalgia.
- In conversation with a friend, and both saying the same thing simultaneously, using the same words. Ah, what bonding!
- An empty supermarket counter, chatting with the staff as they bill my stuff. Asking each other if we had coffee, breakfast. And saying ‘bye like we are long lost pals.
- Waking up disoriented and realizing it is a holiday, and realizing it is okay to catch another hour in bed.
- Waiting at Vidur’s school gate, and watching children of all sizes and shapes tumble out and catching snippets of their conversation. Guaranteed smiles!
- The smell of freshly pressed clothes. Very feel-good, combining the fragrance of the washing soap, some lingering perfume and the warmth of the iron.
- Returning home, opening the front door and smelling the familiar smells.
- An “a-ha” moment that results in a superb idea that works! Great feeling.
- Getting into bed after changing the sheets, with the lingering fragrance of the cupboard, the freshness, feels quite like Goldilocks.
- Driving somewhere. Come upon an amazing view. Grab camera and capture it. And find it is one of the best pictures I’ve clicked. At least in my mind 😉
- Chatting with friends, recalling old times, and having a good laugh, basking in the happiness of many more times like these ahead.
- Thinking of a friend who is out of touch, and receiving a call from them five minutes later, like they were waiting for a sign.
- Feeling low – and being complimented by many people and finding my mood lifting. As if they knew I need to be pepped up. Divine intervention style.
- Reading something amazingly funny. Having a good laugh and remembering it all day.
- Going for a walk and coming back invigorated and feeling much healthier and that all is right with the world
- An impromptu celebration of an unexpected good news. What fun!
- Setting off aimlessly with only the first destination in mind, wandering around and finding that this day will always be etched in my memory.
- A hug and a kiss from my son.
- Singing in the Rain (except when I am returning from the month’s grocery shopping and carrying the bags home)
- Spending time with someone and having tell me I made their life better.
- Starting a huge project, feeling intimidated only to find I sail through it, finish it successfully and also receive great feedback. What an upper!
- Discovering a new blog that makes me want to spend all day reading all the posts ever written on the blog.
This is just a top-of-the-mind list. I could really go on and on. Wondering why 30? Well, why not!
Won’t you share yours?