So you’ve heard the adage once too often “Friends are the family we choose for ourselves”. And heaven knows how many times from me!
I love it because I am blessed with wonderful friends I’ve known for decades.
At fifty, I can say with love that when it comes to friends, I am a keeper.
Of course, I love my family equally. Obviously they cannot take the place of my friends, but then, when friends become family, no worry of that, eh?
I am lucky that my Mom was both a parent and friend to me. Over the years, she was more of a friend. I went to the same school as she did, had the same teachers. Later, we also continued our education together and that was a fulfilling moment.
My friends fill my heart with gifts. The gifts of time, listening, caring, encouragement and support, love, laughter and motivation.
You know there’s scientific proof to show that friends are good for your health and well-being, right? Good times, bad times, they’re always around. Life may have changed in many ways, we may live in different locations, but my friends have stayed with me, and for that, I feel blessed.
My friends shower me with unconditional love. They help me grow, both in and out of my comfort zone. They tweak my ear when I need to be brought back down to earth.
They celebrate the good times and help me through the not so good. They listen when I am upset. They see the real me and love me anyway. Because they’re my friends.
What is life without friends? Thanks to mine, I’ll never know.
Today, I am taking time to celebrate my friends and family.
As I look back, smiling, I am grateful for:
- My best friend, who initiated me into WhatsApp in spite of my protests so we could keep in touch across thousands of miles. Now I am so glad she walked me through it
- A fabulous three days at the 4th health writers and editors convention – it was a richly rewarding experience where I met some wonderful people.
- For good health during my trip, bonuses were good food and great stay.
- The perfect room mate during my trip. I just made a friend!
- A beautiful walk with my room mate one morning – one I’ll never forget
- My gorgeous family that kept in touch throughout – making me feel loved. And of course, coming back to a clean sink and dinner ready.
- The cashew nuts from the cashew capital of India. Sigh. So what if I can’t eat them? My family and friends will enjoy them!
- Meeting my Mom’s doctor after 15 years and catching up. It was delightful that he remembered us!
- Fun photos that I’ll share soon
- A fantastic Sunday, attending Vidur’s music school’s annual day where we were treated to a grand music program. Vidur also performed and my Mommy heart felt so happy.
- You. For your support. Happiness.
I could go on and on, but these are the highlights!
I’d like to share a note I received from my closest friend a few years ago.
My wish for you!
Comfort on difficult days,
Smiles when sadness intrudes,
Rainbows to follow the clouds,
Laughter to kiss your lips,
Sunsets to warm your heart,
Hugs when spirits sag,
Beauty for your eyes to see,
Friendships to brighten your being,
Faith so that you can believe,
Confidence for when you doubt,
Courage to know yourself,
Patience to accept the truth,
Love to complete your life.
I treasure it!
Linking up with the Gratitude list link up hosted by Laurel Regan of Alphabet Salad
Why not join us? ♥