Questions rule my life. I thought I’d answer a how-to question and sifted through various things in my head as I made my coffee this morning.
And then, pat came the question “If I weren’t a blogger or a writer, how would I spend my days?”
My favorite questions are the ones that begin with “What If”. They help me contemplate different scenarios, fantasize, stretch my wings and attempt to fly.
As I mulled over the question, my first reaction, naturally, was – what?! Not blog or write?
So hard to even visualize a situation like that.
Then I got thinking. If you’ve seen my About Me page, you’ll know what I mean.
What if I wasn’t a blogger or a writer?
How would I spend my days?
Here’s what I would be doing:
- I’d be teaching at Vidur’s school. I love the place and they’re always looking for parent volunteers for variety.
- I’d teach at our local welfare home – the girls need help and they cannot afford paid tuition. Their school education is free.
- I’d cook and regularly feed the homeless in my area.
- I’d volunteer at the local counseling center – lots of people are in need of a listening ear. I’d be happy to provide it.
- I’d work as a freelance trainer – I did have a career in sales/marketing/training before I opted to work from home.
- I would enroll for a course related to clinical trials – as I am a member of an ethics committee that reviews protocols for human clinical trials – and pursued a career there.
- Continue attending language classes – French and Spanish and looked for scope to work as a translator
- Enroll in Tai Chi classes
- I would be writing a book anyway, since that has always been something I wanted to do.
- I would spend more time on my hobbies: quilting, embroidering, tailoring, sketching, painting, making handicrafts.
- I’d convert my garage into a studio for my hobbies.
- I would paint walls – children’s walls with fun scenarios
- I would get into catering food on a small scale.
- If we’d had lots of money, I would travel – all over India and the world. I’ll get to half of it at least – I am saving up! I’d go to all the folk art villages and spend time there, getting to know more about my heritage. I’d go on a temple tour that lasted at least a year.
- There would be days I’d want to watch movies, read books, eat and sleep and be lazy.
- I’d potter around the garden for days on end.
- I’d go around walking with my camera. And take loads of pictures. Okay so I do that already. Only, I’d do it even more often!
I am already doing many of these right now, thanks to the privilege of working from home, but not as much as I would like to!
And oh, I’d certainly spend more time housekeeping. Never seem to get enough time for that. Ha!
For now, I am grateful I am doing what I love and loving what I do!
So what would you do if you weren’t doing what you were doing right now?
Answer your what if question in the comments – I’d love to hear!
Ummm.. If I weren’t mothering, I’d probably still be sitting at a news desk sifting news, struggling and meeting with deadlines for that huge rush of satisfaction.
obsessivemom recently posted…Girls and boys and a lesson in chivalry
Oh, you would have been one busy lady if you weren’t a blogger! But what a great many activities you would be engaged in. And I am sure you are already doing some of these as much as possible, given all the other things that keep you busy.
Beloo Mehra recently posted…Song for Sunday
Hi Vidya! If I weren’t going what I’m doing, then I’d be in the Caribbean seeing my husband again 🙂 Then I would gather up all of the island cats, and give them the best island outdoor shelter anyone has ever seen, and get them all fixed.
Julie Barrett recently posted…This Is Not A Sad Post
Seems to me Vidya that you could add a few of those line items to your list now. Of course it is easy for me to say you have time to do more. 😉
😀 Jack, I confess I cheated on this list! I do every one of these – except not as much as I’d like to…still – there are days I take a digital holiday and this is what I am up to. So it was really a no-brainer to come up with this list.
Vidya Sury recently posted…Green Living – Don’t Throw Away That Tea Bag Yet!
I would read more and watch more films. I would volunteer at the Humane Society or an animal rescue place. I would take a painting class and a ballroom dancing class despite my bad pain. I would be less critical of myself which I try to do every day but it is hard when I feel like I look like 2 ton Annie. I would meditate more. I would finally write that book on my mom. These are all in our reach isn’t it, it just takes balance and not stretching oneself too thin. Notice nothing regarding housework or cooking made it on that list:)
Birgit recently posted…A Card for All of You!
If I didn’t blog, I would be wasting time watching TV or sleeping. I am so glad to be so occupied here 🙂
Victoria Virgo recently posted…Weekly Round Up â Making videos, Making Sales & Learning New Stuff
givng the bee a run for its honey? he he he
Vidya Sury recently posted…Inspired Learning
Wow: what a list Vidya! I probably have a long one somewhere tucked away; however, I would love to (1) work on organic farms (2) facilitate an alternate youth choir (3) dance, sing, chant including in (4) India where I could meet all my Indie blogger friends! 😉 <3
elly stornebrink recently posted…World Mental Health Day
Wow: Vidya: what a long list! I probably have a long one somewhere; however, on the top of my mind for now (1) work on organic farms (2) facilitate an alternative youth choir (3) dance, sing, chant in (4) India where I’d meet up with all my Indie blogger friends! 😉 <3
elly stornebrink recently posted…World Mental Health Day
That is quite a long list. I love it. I would have to say I’d be writing more screenplays and sitcoms, performing standup, directing, surfing, playing basketball, and painting. I’d love to live part time in the French Riviera also.
Sebastian Aiden Daniels recently posted…3 Harsh Realities To Accept To Help You Be More Creative