Summer. I can’t believe at the fuss I am making about this time of the year. It must be because I am used to working from home. Within reach of a cold glass of water or juice or frozen applesauce when I want it.
When I think back a couple of decades, I can’t help but recall how I was equally happy making sales calls in the 47-48 degree Celsius heat. My friends would laugh at my skin color variations depending on the varying amount of skin exposed – pretty hilarious it used to be. Same with the footwear – my feet would appear to have stripes of different shades according to the type of footwear I had on that day!
In spite of all that, I took the sun for granted and lived with it. After all, had I not gone to college in Chennai? What weather could be worse than that? Now, I love Chennai but the weather? Terrible. Nonstop sweating. In fact, if I wore dark colored clothing, I could be sure of seeing white streaks across it – from the salt the weather leached out of my body.
Come to think of it, I’ve lived most of my life in a combination of hot and humid and hot and dry. And now, even though we live in what is called the garden city of India, I think my tolerance level has gone down. How life spoils us!
So it is not at all surprising that I have my own summer rituals as I usher in the heat. Here’s what I do.
My Summer Rituals
- Food first, so menu planning and grocery lists accordingly. Of course I won’t cut down on the coffee, but I’ll amp up the yogurt and buttermilk and lemon juice. Hydration is key. I’ll also sneak in a couple of water bottles into the fridge where the others can’t find it.
- Clean out the kitchen and make space for my pedestal fan. Life is so much better with air! I will put away a lot of extra utensils as salads will be the favorite food for most of the month. And bring out the glasses of course.
- Spring lean my closets – put away all those full sleeved clothes and everything that isn’t light and pure cotton. All these go to the top shelf and the summery stuff comes out.
- Air the beds and switch from quilts to light sheets.
- Change the curtains into light ones that are easy to wash.
- Go shopping. I love my short graphic tees for summer. The best part is I don’t have to get scorched in the sun hunting for deals thanks to online shopping.
- I plan travel. After all, this is vacation time and even though my son has a tight schedule over the next three months, getting away for 3-4 days is a challenge we will easily overcome.
- I remember yearning for summer vacations when I had a corporate job – but now, working from home is like one cool breeze. So I place my little work table in the exact spot where the cool air hits me and I am ready to go to work in shorts and tee-shirts!
- I remember reading the Deer Hunters website and soaking up all the hunting knowledge they provide.
And my mind is always filled with visions of crushed ice and tall glasses of cold liquid.
Welcome, summer! I may not have been a girl scout but I am definitely prepared!