Summer. I can’t believe the fuss I am making about this time of the year. It must be because I am used to working from home. Within reach of a cold glass of water or juice or frozen applesauce when I want it.
When I think back a couple of decades, I can’t help but recall how I was equally happy making sales calls in the 47-48 degree Celsius heat. My friends would laugh at my skin color variations depending on the varying amount of skin exposed – pretty hilarious it used to be. Same with the footwear – my feet would appear to have stripes of different shades according to the type of footwear I had on that day!
In spite of all that, I took the sun for granted and lived with it. After all, had I not gone to college in Chennai? What weather could be worse than that? Now, I love Chennai but the weather? Terrible. Nonstop sweating. In fact, if I wore dark colored clothing, I could be sure of seeing white streaks across it – from the salt the weather leached out of my body.
Come to think of it, I’ve lived most of my life in a combination of hot and humid and hot and dry. And now, even though we live in what is called the garden city of India, I think my tolerance level has gone down. How life spoils us!
So it is not at all surprising that I have my own summer rituals as I usher in the heat. Here’s what I do.
My Summer Rituals
- Food first, so menu planning and grocery lists accordingly. Of course I won’t cut down on the coffee, but I’ll amp up the yogurt and buttermilk and lemon juice. Hydration is key. I’ll also sneak in a couple of water bottles into the fridge where the others can’t find it.
- Clean out the kitchen and make space for my pedestal fan. Life is so much better with air! I will put away a lot of extra utensils as salads will be the favorite food for most of the month. And bring out the glasses of course.
- Spring lean my closets – put away all those full sleeved clothes and everything that isn’t light and pure cotton. All these go to the top shelf and the summery stuff comes out.
- Air the beds and switch from quilts to light sheets.
- Change the curtains into light ones that are easy to wash.
- Go shopping. I love my short graphic tees for summer. The best part is I don’t have to get scorched in the sun hunting for deals thanks to online shopping.
- I plan travel. After all, this is vacation time and even though my son has a tight schedule over the next three months, getting away for 3-4 days is a challenge we will easily overcome.
- I remember yearning for summer vacations when I had a corporate job – but now, working from home is like one cool breeze. So I place my little work table in the exact spot where the cool air hits me and I am ready to go to work in shorts and tee-shirts!
And my mind is always filled with visions of crushed ice and tall glasses of cold liquid.
Welcome, summer! I may not have been a girl scout but I am definitely prepared!