When your mood is screwed, all you can think of doing is drowning in self-pity and sulking.
While that might seem soothing, it isn’t, really. It will only take you deeper into the depths of misery besides convincing you that there’s nothing you can do to get out of it.
And that’s the worst lie ever.
Bad times are a part of life, just as good times are. But it is possible to step away from the unpleasant and feel better. It isn’t always necessary to reach for the medicine cabinet or seek professional help.
Here are 21 great ways to get over that dull feeling. Each one is proven to work!
Let’s get started!
21 easy ways to make you feel instantly happy
- Exercise. Move it! Go for a brisk walk around your neighborhood. Dance your heart out for 30 minutes. Jog. Swim. Do yoga. See if you don’t feel better.
- Humor. Never fails. Laugh your guts out. Watch your favorite comedy show. Or just spend time with children.
- Get creative. Do something with your hands. Put that phone away. Grab some clay and make figures. No clay? Get some flour and water and knead the dough. Have fun with it. Take a pad and pencil and sketch something. It doesn’t matter that you think you are not an artist, because you actually are, you know.
- Eat! Don’t skip meals. When you do, it makes you grumpy without knowing why. So eat on time. A full tummy always, always feel better.
- Eat healthy. Make sure you get a balanced meal and also snack healthy. A bag of fries or chips feels yum, but only on the tongue. Not so much fun when it goes and settles on your hips or around your waist.
- Ditch the toxic stuff. If something isn’t good for your mood, get away from it. Hang out with folks that make you happy.
- Volunteer. Go help someone. Do something for someone. Preferably strangers, you know. With zero expectations. Shift your focus away from you. Gives you a better perspective on life.
- Write. Let it all out on paper. Use a pen or pencil. And color crayons if you like. It is very therapeutic. Some day later, when you read it, you’ll feel good about moving forward.
- Practice gratitude. Probably the best tip in this list. Make a list of all the good things in your life right now. Make it a habit to do it every day. Your perspective on life will change. For the better.
- Sleep. I know, right? A lack of sleep or habitually being irregular in your sleep habits can wreak havoc with your system. So get your zzzz. Daily.
- Try aromatherapy. Surround yourself with fragrances that soothe you. I find that this really makes a big difference to the state of my mind. Can be baking smells, frankincense, your favorite cologne, lemon…
- Get a pet. Oh yes, unconditional love at its best! Get your cuddles on! Plus lots of laughter guaranteed. If you are too busy to take care of a pet, get some soft toys.
- Get together with friends. The non-judgmental, loving, hug you no matter what types. The sorts who will always have your back without keeping score.
- Meditate. Breathing exercises are great for clearing your mind, keeping you focused and balancing your stress levels. If you like, check out some free guided meditations. They do help.
- Spend time outdoors. Get some sunshine. Vitamin D is important and you cannot do without your quota.
- Listen to music. And if you want to sing along, good, very good!
- Read. Another way to take your mind off what’s bothering you for a little while. Will get you involved in something else and when you get back to the way you feel, hey, you may feel very different thanks to the space you gave yourself.
- Step away from media and social media, especially. That stream is not your life stream. That news feed can really get to you and overwhelm you. Take a break. Go offline.
- Do something you’ve put off for too long. Feel the sense of achievement and let it inspire you to feel better. I say this because my own to-do turns into a beast sometimes!
- Cut down on sugar. Seriously. It helps stay healthy and improves your mood.
- Smile. As much as you can. You don’t need a reason. Small action, huge difference. You saw that coming, right?
Which ones will you practice?
It isn’t so hard to get your happy back and the bonus – you’ll be cultivating some great happiness habits in the process and you can’t say no to that!
Win-win, I’d think. And the living is easy!
P.S.: The June Gratitude Circle Bloghop linky is live – do join in with your posts.