Gratitude

A Conscious Balancing Act

A Conscious Balancing Act #gratitudecircle #bloghop

Step with care and great tact. And remember life’s a great balancing act.
Dr. Seuss

Life’s always a balancing act, right? I started the New Year away from home, as I accompanied my son back to campus and spent four days there. It was wonderful, what with the cold weather and the doing nothing much, other than living in the moment, enjoying the little things, barely looking at the phone except to call home, eating, sleeping, walking, binge-ing on our favorite shows and generally having a good time.

I arrived back home on the fifth, refreshed, happy and all set to take on the year.

January turned out to be a month of visitors and outings, accidents, some work, decluttering, a lot of stress over stuff gone wrong, chasing payments, cooking, and the loss of a close friend’s mother.

Sure, there were bright spots to balance it all off . . . but it was a bit tough to stay focused on the good stuff because I am still dealing with things as yet unsorted. How annoying it is when some situations simply hijack our day! Sigh.

All said and done, I am going with the mantra “this, too, shall pass” and carrying on, because what has to be faced has to be faced, eh? Life is like that!

Step with care and great tact. And remember life's a great balancing act #inspiringquotes #drseussquotes #lifelessons #gratitude

Visitors and outings

We had guests–some welcome and some . . . not so much. What is life if not some rough with the smooth? Isn’t that how we learn to appreciate what we have? And so we took it in our stride. The welcome guests were fun. We had some nice outings—shopping, sight-seeing, conversations, lunches, dinners. We visited the Vishweshwaraya Technological museum and the Government museum that’s next door to it. Both excellent places to visit, for both adults and children. Pleasant times. Our guests have left and we’re trying “normal” again. Grateful for these interludes and relationships.

Accidents

On the day we went shopping, just as soon as we set out, I tripped and had a lousy fall with some nasty injuries. Still recovering. What seemed unbearable was my new phone breaking. The entire screen just cracked like a “+” with some splintering at the base. Sigh. It is now a constant reminder to be careful. I thought I’d get the screen replaced, but when I found out how much it would cost, I dropped the idea. *Shuddering*. Just replaced the screen guard—grateful the phone is still functional.

The first few days were difficult and I moved minimally—only for essential stuff and spent the rest of the time reading as the swelling in the legs had to come down. Three books in four days. *Grinning* Grateful to my folks for passing on the love of reading. Nothing like a crime thriller to take your mind off things.

Still limping around—knee and elbow injuries are the most painful, and the cold weather and being diabetic are not helping. The sprains and muscle pulls are better now. Hoping to recover very soon. One of the wounds got infected and … ugh! Life does go on though! What am I grateful for? That I didn’t break anything (the phone doesn’t count, according to my husband), that I didn’t break my glasses or kiss the ground, that I am still able to move around, even though I am slower, that I am able to cook. Laugh at jokes. Be at home. Long gratitude list. Can’t wait to get back to walking daily–I really can’t afford to miss that for too long!

Sadness

Last week, I received the sad news that my best friend’s mom passed away. I felt miserable. I’ve known her for as long as I’ve known my friend – about 45 years and the loss hurts. But life must go on and I am glad she passed away peacefully in her sleep. Still, how can one get over the loss of a mother-figure? Time does not always heal. It just helps us accept what we cannot change. I feel blessed I knew her. That’s what I am telling myself now as I grieve.

Work

On the work front, I wrapped up the editing on a couple of manuscripts and started working on a new one. Of all the work I’ve enjoyed this one is second on my list of favorites, with blogging being right on top. I feel so fortunate to work with wonderful people and cherish my long association with them. And I feel doubly grateful that I work from home!

Special thanks

By the way, thanks to all those who kindly voted for me for the Asian Fitness & Wellness Blogs 2018. Didn’t make it — but your support feels good!

As always, special thanks to my family and my friends, and most especially to Vanita for always encouraging me and being there to listen, no matter what. ♥

Incidentally, I was featured on Beyondtype2’s Instagram account.

I am excited to be associated with them and look forward to contributing to their site. One of my goals as a type 2 Diabetic is to raise awareness and show people that it is possible to live a good quality life no matter how long you’ve had the condition. If you or someone you know has diabetes, feel free to share your story here.

That’s not all for January, but I’ll sign off here. I am looking forward to a better February!

You’ll get mixed up, of course, as you already know.
You’ll get mixed up with many strange birds as you go.
So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and
remember that Life’s a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft.
And never mix up your right foot with your left.
Dr. Seuss

Yes, feeling very Dr.Seuss-y!

Send me some good vibes. And make me laugh.

And…

Join me for the January 2019 Gratitude Circle blog hop.

Gratitude Circle Vidya Sury

Write your post, link to this post, add the badge.

Add your post link to the linky below.

Please note: This is the new Inlinkz interface. You may need to verify your email – simple process. Thanks!

Inlinkz Link Party

Sanch @ Sanch Writes
    February 2, 2019 at 4:04 am

Oh the fall sounds painful on all fronts Vidya! I’m glad though you didn’t break anything {though the crack on the phone is devastating!} I agree that knee and elbow injuries hurt so much more. I am also sorry to hear about the loss of your friend’s mum. Hope you feel better soon on all fronts and that Feb is fab month.
    Sanch @ Sanch Writes recently posted…January 2019 Reflections

Soumya
    February 2, 2019 at 12:18 pm

Oh no, I hope you are better now, Vidya! I’m so glad you didn’t break anything else apart from the screen on your phone. Hell with the phone, its you that matters the most. I hope you get back on your feet really soon and I hope we meet someday 🙂

Sending lots of love and healing vibes your way.

Love you!
    Soumya recently posted…Action Replay + Gratitude List: January 2019

Anjana
    February 2, 2019 at 2:54 pm

Sorry to hear about your fall the sad demise of your friend’s mom. Life has to go on – which is what your Balancing act post clearly tells the readers. I am new to blogging and liked the idea of expressing our gratitude each month. Thanks for starting such a wonderful and thankful journey to love ourselves. I sincerely hope February will bring in lots of good things and joys in your way. Do take care.

BellyBytes
    February 2, 2019 at 3:15 pm

I suppose life is about the good and the bad. Too much of a good thing is not good isn’t it? Congratulations on all the accolades you are getting for your blogs. It is great to get recognition for all the work that you put in.
    BellyBytes recently posted…World Read Aloud Day

Gratitude List – January 2019 - happiness and food
    February 2, 2019 at 5:50 pm

[…] Linking up with Vidya’s Gratitude Circle. […]

Parul Thakur
    February 2, 2019 at 6:03 pm

Sorry to hear about the fall.I hope you are feeling a bit better now. I know the weather wasn’t helpful at all. Foggy and no Sun to be seen. I also broke my phone’s screen last year and God, all that I had to do to get it fixed. Will share the story some other day.
    This too shall pass.. That’s my mantra too for the month and the days to come.
    Sorry about your friend’s Mum. Must have been hard. I wish you a speedy recovery and loads of wishes for a happy and balanced February, Vidya.
    Parul Thakur recently posted…Gratitude List – January 2019

shalzmojo
    February 2, 2019 at 6:48 pm

Oh damn this seems to be a very nasty fall – thank heavens you are alright as broken bones are harder to mend. Your kick ass attitude to your health, especially diabetes is commendable Vidya and inspiring as well.

Sorry to hear about the phone damage – your bad luck with the devices is persistent, isnt it? Perhaps you need some device goddess to be appeased 😉

I am just glad it wasnt anything serious; though am sure the immobility and aches and pains were a torture for someone as independant as yourself.

Wishing you loads of love for a speedy healing!! XOXO
    shalzmojo recently posted…#Gratitude – Beginnings in January 2019

Monthly Gratitude – January 2019 – Shilpa Nairy
    February 4, 2019 at 1:10 pm

[…] Linking up with Vidya Sury, Collecting Smiles […]

Shubhra Rastogi
    February 4, 2019 at 1:34 pm

Hi Vidya, Wish you a speedy recovery and a great February. I am Shubhra and linked with your gratitude circle for the first time. Hope I am going to do this more often.
    Shubhra Rastogi recently posted…A Glimpse of the Past Month #Gratitude

February 4, 2019 at 1:39 pm

Welcome, Shubhra! Nice to meet you. I look forward to you being a regular! Also excited to read your post – heading there now!

January Joys - Gratitude List ~ Reflections ~ Vinitha Dileep
    February 4, 2019 at 9:58 pm

[…] Linking with Gratitude Circle by Vidya Sury […]

G Angela
    February 5, 2019 at 3:20 pm

Sad to hear about your friends mom vidya, it hurts when we know the person well – May her soul rest in peace,hope your swelling has come down, amazed at your attitude and how well you at balancing, wishing your speedy recovery and I am glad to find this post here and be connected, as it keeps me cheerful and happy too. Appreciate all that your are involved with and so keep smiling and inspiring – surely you are making a difference bringing smiles to so many in the virtual world:)
    G Angela recently posted…Gratitude for January 2019

Mahati ramya adivishnu
    February 6, 2019 at 7:37 am

I wish you a speedy recovery Vidya so that you can enjoy your morning walks again.

Vinitha
    February 6, 2019 at 8:01 am

Oh no! I hope you are better now, Vidya. Take care of yourself. Phones are replaceable, don’t worry. Sorry to hear about your friend’s mom.
    3 books in 4 days! Isn’t that wonderful! 🙂
    I wish you a wonderful month ahead. <3
    Vinitha recently posted…January Joys – Gratitude List

Obsessivemom
    February 6, 2019 at 12:46 pm

So very sorry to hear about your fall. Staying in bed must be hard for such an up and about person like you. Glad you’re on your way to recovery and counting the good things. You’re right, this too shall pass. Take care.
    Obsessivemom recently posted…The Magic of New Beginnings #GratitudeCircle

Gratitude Is The Key To My Happiness- #GratitudeCircleBlogHop
    February 8, 2019 at 3:30 pm

[…] linking this post to Gratitude Circle Blog Hop hosted by Vidya […]

Vasantha Vivek
    February 10, 2019 at 2:26 pm

Oh…. Vidya, sorry to hear about your sickness and loss. Hope you are getting better. Sending you lots and lots of love and positive vibes to you, dear. Repeat the mantra, ” This too shall pass”. And it will pass. Trust me. Stay loved, my dear!
    Vasantha Vivek recently posted…Gratitude Is The Key To My Happiness- #GratitudeCircleBlogHop

Natasha
    February 11, 2019 at 12:19 pm

Dear Vidya,

Hope you are feeling better by now. Saw you posts on Insta too recently, and I hope things have settled and you have some peace of mind away from the trollers.

As usual your blog is always a perk-me-up zone for me. So many wonderful messages to take back from here.

I’m sending you loads of happy, healthy vibes and lots of love for a Fabulous February, dear Vidya and a brilliant new year ahead. God speed.

Natasha recently posted…When January Does Not Always Have to Augur New Beginnings: #FridayReflections #GratitudeCircle