happiness

Happiness Is Everywhere

Happiness is everywhere flower

If there is one thing life has taught me, it is this: Happiness is everywhere.  We only have to look.  For me, it is in all the little things.  Looking at old photo albums with my family, singing songs, trying a new recipe,  a coffee with my friend, walking on the terrace…

Did you know that March 20 has been designated as International Day Of Happiness by the UN? Its goal is “To promote happiness as a universal goal and aspiration in the lives of human beings around the world”.

How nice. Happiness is my favorite D.I.Y project. I choose it, consciously.

Happiness is everywhere

I’ve been enjoying walking all week. In spite of the heat it was nice being outdoors. Bangalore gets hotter each year, thanks to the trees disappearing and the abundant construction work. I dread to think what the next two months will be like. But when I think of the good stuff – everything looks brighter. There will be raw mangoes, lots of watermelons, festivals to celebrate, some travel and the A to Z Challenge in April!

It is also vacation time for schools. Generally summer vacation is a time when we go visit family in other cities and take in a bit of sightseeing. Since I grew up in my Grandmother’s house in a joint family, it was always others visiting us.  I actually got to travel when I started working and I vowed to see as many places as I could. It helped to be in a sales career as it involved plenty of traveling.

My happiest memories are of staying in hotels in Chennai during our annual sales conferences. We’d have such fun at the resorts, experiencing fantastic training programs mixed with a great time with colleagues. It was exciting as we personally could not afford those luxurious resorts. Our personal trips usually involved budget hotels, and that – only if our family was out of town. We have a lot of family in this city. The tradition is, no matter what the relationship, if we have relatives in a particular town or city, we’re expected to stay with them. Now this is not something we prefer to do these days. I am laughing as I write this, recalling all the crazy memories. In retrospect, of course, I can only think of it as good fun. And great fodder for gossip between my Mom and I.

Now when Sury travels to Chennai he simply prefers to go stay in a hotel even though his Dad lives there. Our favorite online booking site is Makemytrip.com which is very convenient and efficient. They offer Chennai hotel bookings at big discounts especially when we book our stay along with flight tickets. Sigh. This summer, Sury will be traveling quite a bit. We’re trying to figure out which places we can tag along.

For now, however, I get my pleasures from the little things in life like a digital vacation. Still not riding my scooter, though. Sigh. I’ve got to get it serviced – I am sure the battery is dead. I am waiting until April first week since there’s major renovation going on in our building basement. I doubt if I can get inside my garage now anyway.

So let me share some photos from my walk back home a couple of days ago. You’ll never guess where I clicked some of them!

I loved the sight of these watermelons – which greeted us when we entered our favorite supermarket.

Happiness is everywhere watermelons

You know I love trees – and this one nudged me as I walked past.

Happiness is everywhere Tree

At the base of the tree, was this lovely foliage. I was fascinated to see those light colored leaves mingling with the vibrant green – so many shades!

Happiness is everywhere leaves

Buttercups always take me back to a place during my childhood

Happiness is everywhere Buttercup

A little tank on the side of the building had this – so pretty! I like the reflections on the water.

Happiness is everywhere Pond

Can you guess where these photos may be from? They are from the front yard of our Traffic Police Station! Indeed, happiness is everywhere!

And – I end the day looking at these skies. Summer skies are always beautiful. The setting sun’s rays seem to spread a positive message.

Happiness is everywhere summer sky

Sundays In My City is my favorite meme and it is hosted by the gorgeous Unknown Mami. Let’s go visit her and from there, travel the world together.

Unknown Mami
Look! Happiness is everywhere!
Happiness is everywhere
What moment of happiness stands out for you from last week?

Keetha
    March 24, 2013 at 9:07 pm

So true, Vidya! The secret is to LOOK for the happy things instead of focusing on the painful.
    Keetha recently posted…Spring is IN the House – in My CityMy Profile

Poppy
    March 24, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Thankfully most of my relatives live in my hometown so I could avoid any hurt feelings during travel because I don’t think I could find my happiness on vacation staying with my in-laws 🙂 Well, maybe if I missed them!
    Poppy recently posted…5 Reasons it Rocks Being The Short ChildMy Profile

March 28, 2013 at 6:35 am

Ah, Poppy, I hear you. 😉 My in-laws live in two different cities, Fil in one and Mil in another. Still, we have them visiting rather than us going over most of the time!

😀 I read your post about being the short child. I was one!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Happiness Is EverywhereMy Profile

Terri Sonoda
    March 25, 2013 at 4:41 am

Oh my, what absolutely LOVELY pictures! And those watermelons look so yummy! I love how you spread the happiness every day, my dear friend. You rock! XOXOs
    Terri Sonoda recently posted…Dark Pretense finally a realityMy Profile

March 28, 2013 at 6:38 am

Those watermelons – we’ll soon see them all over the place, Terri, along the streets. The more innovative sellers also have a cart where they cut them up and serve them with flavors. 🙂 And in the heat of summer, they’re such a lovely sight! Hugs!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…One for my digital vacation journalMy Profile

CyndyNewsome
    March 25, 2013 at 2:06 am

I LOVE these photos, they just make me smile.
    Also, I have a tattoo of a purple lotus so I especially love those!!
    So beautiful.

March 28, 2013 at 6:37 am

Wow! I’ve always wanted to get a tattoo, but am too chicken because my skin is super sensitive. There are those stick-on ones…but nothing like the real thing!

Hugs! Cyndy!
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Happiness Is EverywhereMy Profile

Julie Barrett
    March 25, 2013 at 10:02 am

Lovely flowers and such, Vidya. Send me some of that watermelon for the little guy 🙂
    Julie Barrett recently posted…How Not To Get Lost On The Road of Your Soul’s JourneyMy Profile

Karen Jolly
    March 25, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Thank you Vidya for this beautiful post. I couldn’t agree more, happiness is everywhere! You simply need to look for it and you will find it within.
    Karen Jolly recently posted…Failure is Not an OptionMy Profile

Lisa @ Grandma's Briefs
    March 25, 2013 at 2:58 pm

One of my favorite things about you is the positive light you shine on everything. Such a pleasure to visit here. And your photos? Oh, always incredible. (And I really love the way you do your watermarks. Really!)
    Lisa recently posted…The next big reveal, plus the GRAND SocialMy Profile

March 28, 2013 at 6:40 am

Lisa, big hugs to you! Positive is a way of life with me. I don’t know another way.

Thanks for noticing the watermarks 😀

Love, Vidya
      Vidya Sury recently posted…Parenting with love and logicMy Profile

Carole Remy
    March 25, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Hi Vidya,

What a lovely post! You’ve started my morning with a smile. Thank you! You remind us that no matter where we live and what our lives are like, there’s always joy to be found.

Hugs,

Carole
    Carole Remy recently posted…New Sexy Fun Erotic Romance Book Covers!My Profile

Glynis Jolly
    March 25, 2013 at 9:02 pm

What you call digital vacations, I call ‘local vacations’, although I do understand your meaning. To tell you the truth, usually I like the ‘local vacations’ better than the ones that take me far away. I’m always amazed at how much I miss during the course of a day. When I really look, my everyday world has so much to offer.

Love the photo of the foliage at the bottom of that tree.

Debbie
    March 25, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Hi Vidya,

Yes, happiness is every where if we want it to be. Love these pictures. You are amazing with the pictures. have a real eye for it.

Happiness comes with the right attitude.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Debbie
    Debbie recently posted…Whatever You Give a Woman She Will Make GreaterMy Profile

Jodi at Heal Now
    March 25, 2013 at 11:03 pm

We are of like mind today, talking about happiness. I always love your photos! They are one more gorgeous than the next!

I. C. Daniel
    March 26, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Hey there Vidya,

You have a very nice blog. Best regards from I. C. Daniel – Romania
    I. C. Daniel recently posted…Mercedes Benz SLKMy Profile

March 26, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Thank you, Daniel – and welcome!

Carolyn Hughes
    March 26, 2013 at 2:06 pm

I was blessed with one of the happiest moments of my life last week at my daughter’s parent-teacher meeting. But all sorts of little things in the day make me happy, from watching the cat stretch to a hug from my husband.
    Wishing you a very happy week Vidya 🙂
    Carolyn Hughes recently posted…Totally self-indulgent.My Profile

Cathy Taughinbaugh
    March 26, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Hi Vidya,

Lovely pictures as usual. Happiness is everywhere – you just need to look. Thanks for sharing your great post!

Elle
    March 26, 2013 at 9:17 pm

As always dear Vidya, you make me smile. Your joyfulness is so infectious. And I thank you for the link to my post. Looking forward to more of your happy posts…and I’m so sorry you’re not back on that scooter of yours yet. I just have this image in my head of you toodling around town radiating sunshine where you go.

Love Elle
    xoxo
    Elle recently posted…Moving Beyond Discomfort.My Profile

Galen Pearl
    March 26, 2013 at 10:18 pm

In front of a police station–love it! One of my happiest moments was walking down to a special place near my cabin where two creeks merge. I can stand on the point right where they come together. It seems like a special place of earth power. Enjoyed walking home with you!
    Galen Pearl recently posted…The Little Car That CouldMy Profile

Betsy/Zen Mama
    March 27, 2013 at 4:01 am

Love your Sunday pictures as usual Vidya!!

Alex Blackwell | The BridgeMaker
    March 27, 2013 at 10:09 am

Happiness is a choice! Thanks for the beautiful reminder Vidya!

Alex
    Alex Blackwell recently posted…There Is Always a Third OptionMy Profile

Shawn
      March 27, 2013 at 6:20 pm

It really is amazing the beauty and joy you can experience if you just open your eyes to it. Just walking around my neighbor hood with my dog brings me great joy, even if there is not a whole lot of nature around. The simple pleasure of the company of my wife and dog on these walk is enough to bring a big smile to my face. Thanks for the post!
      Shawn recently posted…Are binaural beats safe?My Profile

Suzy
    March 27, 2013 at 7:53 am

I love watermelons – so refreshing. And walking barefoot in the grass truly is happiness! Dropping by from Sundays in my city.
    Suzy recently posted…A day in the countrysideMy Profile

Escalator Pune
    March 28, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Hi Vidya,

I thinks happiness is feeling comes from our soul and if we feel we are happy then we can happy in every condition as I feel and then we feel that happiness is everywhere.

Daniel M
    March 30, 2013 at 4:16 am

Enjoy the little things, Yes, I truly agree, Happiness is Everywhere, everywhere can also be your Happy Place. I love this post, lovely Pictures!
    Daniel M recently posted…What Causes Hemorrhoids?My Profile

Unknown Mami
    March 30, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Those watermelons are begging to be eaten.
    Unknown Mami recently posted…Easter Through the Eyes of my ChildrenMy Profile

Jack
    April 20, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Well, It’s true happiness is everywhere because the happiness comes from God is always everywhere we need.
    Jack recently posted…Making Money Ways to Use Article MarketingMy Profile

3D cakes in Pune
    May 9, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Enjoy every single bit of your life, if you enjoy your life, than you feel that the life is full of happiness, and the happiness is present in everywhere.

May 9, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Right said! Thanks for commenting!

Richa