It is funny how I am reminded at least once, every single day, to enjoy the present moment. What is hilarious is, no sooner than I decided to post every alternate day, life presented me with a series of hurdles. In spite of everything, I had an amazing week. I usually do, but this one was a different kind of amazing.
First, I had no consistent internet. I was connected, but at excruciatingly slow or zero speed. You would think I would be used to that by now, considering the number of times I’ve mentioned it, but no. Hope springs eternal.
My house was Liberty Hall with repair men coming and going. Strange how troubles hate coming in singles.
The week began with a terrifying incident. But I believe in life’s balancing act – I am here to tell the story. So I just decided to let go and…
..enjoy the present moment
It was almost like rewinding my life thirty years when we didn’t have the conveniences and appliances we have today. When I worried about the electrical gadgets we use that need charging, I was relieved of that problem with the electricity taking a holiday too! Unfazed, here’s what I did:
- Caught up on my reading, so you can look forward to a spate of book reviews
- Enjoyed marathon phone calls with friends. Thank God my phone was working. Touch wood!
- Received some fabulous news. One of my most favorite people is getting engaged to be married. Did I hear you say “ha, big deal”? Yes it is! I met this shining star when he was an eight month-old baby. This month, this wonderful young man will turn 26 (wow!) We have some great memories with the family and I had a lovely long chat with his Mom.
- Did some major cleaning up and reclaimed much needed space. Yes, I went on a clutter diet! And came across an old cushion cover Vidur loved as a toddler. The bottom left corner shows one of his toys, called a “cuterpillar” (yeah, you read that right!) and right corner is his toy turtle. Still have the turtle.
- Also found these while getting out glasses to replace the couple we broke this week. Sigh. Too pretty to use. Votive candle holders. They have shiny gold insides.
- Visited my local welfare home with more big bags of giveaways from clearing up stuff. The joy of giving is second to none.
- Sorted out some paper-clutter that was long-pending. I am feeling the relief, yo! And in the process, I signed up for more e-statements, collected all the glossy art paper in a big bag to take to the School for the Blind where they use it to punch braille. Why glossy art paper, you asked? Don’t ask me. Ask those idiot advertisers who sneak them into our newspaper and raise our blood pressure first thing in the morning. Grr. The least I could do is deliver in the right hands.
- Called Vidur’s classmates over for lunch on Sunday. We had a great time. I’ve see those kids grow up from Grade 1 and enjoy the cozy relationship. And what fun it is when the whole family is busy together, especially mine, because they sing as they work. Gorgeous feeling. Look at the result:
- Developed a toothache and hung around the dentist’s clinic. The saga will continue over the next few days. Thank God the dentist and his staff are a pleasant looking lot. Especially the surgeon who does the root canal treatment. It helps you know, when I have to stare into someone’s eyes for over an hour. They might as well be eye-candy, inspiring fiction in my head.
- I saw the movie “Whale Rider” yet again. Just beautiful.
- Had to go out to run an errand and ended up buying this.
- Went out to the local crafts fair (yeah, another one, just down the road) and clicked these photos. I didn’t buy anything. Way too expensive.
And? I have some great news.
Some of you know my blog “Coffee With Mi” I am super-excited to tell you that I’ve moved it from Blogger and it is now a sub-domain of this blog. Its new URL is http://mi.vidyasury.com What I am even more thrilled about is the logo and the header. Please do visit. Because the fabulous Vanita has designed it. Click on the image below to go there:
What do you think?
I also wrote a stream of haiku there. You know I enjoy writing haiku. Because…
So that’s what I’ve been up to.
And oh, I laughed a lot.
“Everything about life is a joke. Don’t you know that?” Kurt Vonnegut
I enjoyed the present moment in a big way. Because it is gift.
I’ve learned to let go. I beat myself up over the July Ultimate Blogging Challenge I signed up for, but gave up after Day 3 because life had other plans for me. Real nice ones. Nudging me to enjoy the present moment.
I’ve learned to make time to do nothing. Slow down. Because…
Want to listen to the waves for two minutes? Come with me. Let’s go.
Question for you, dear Friends,
How are you enjoying the present moment?
Please tell me in the comments!
P.S.: I missed you.