You saw that coming, eh? So on Day 8 of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge, it is Happiness, a habit.
By now, you know I believe in making happiness a habit. Have you noticed that Life looks much better when you are laughing?
“I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health” ~ Voltaire
The UN proclaims that the pursuit of happiness is a fundamental human goal. Naturally, we all want happy lives and we want those we love to be happy too.
Over the years, if there’s one thing I’ve learned, it is this:
If you take a holistic view of happiness you will find it encompasses our day to day experiences and feelings and our view of life. I’d say genetics, upbringing and the environment we grow up in, along with the state of our health and our finances have a great influence on how happy we are.
But above all this, there’s something else that absolutely decides our happiness – the choices we make, our attitude, the way we interact with others, our own values and what we focus on.
Did you know happiness is good for your heart? You can actually keep cardiovascular disease at bay by being optimistic and positive.
Every day, I discover ways to be happy. Here’s how I make happiness a habit:
- Look around and enjoy the little things. Happiness is everywhere! Appreciate the good things around me every day, big or small, that I tend to take for granted. Trees, bird song, the smell of coffee, laughter, the sky, family.
- Focus. Preferably on one thing at a time. Multi-tasking may appear necessary but it is practically not feasible. Or advisable.
- If I can’t change something, I change the way I see it or think about it.
- Upset about something? I do something I love. I refresh my mind and see the problem from a new perspective.
- Give. And give what I expect. Do unto others as I would have done unto me. You know what they say “If you want to feel good, do good.” I ask myself, “What have I done recently to make someone happy or to help others?”
“Happiness is not something readymade. It comes from your own actions” – Dalai Lama
- I make more time for the people who matter. I phone a friend I haven’t kept in touch with for a while. I email someone I’ve been meaning to write to. I write letters of thanks. I take a moment to appreciate the good things about someone important in my life.
- Slow down. Relax. Sundays and holidays were made for a reason. I take a digital vacation once in a while.
- I think before I speak, especially when I am upset. If I have nothing nice to say, I say nothing.
- Let go of anger and grudges. They can be like acid – corrosive.
- I am trying to say goodbye to toxic relationships.
- I don’t fear success. Or failure. I strive to quell my inner critic and try not to doubt yourself. I am my best friend.
- Practice Gratitude. In fact, developing an attitude of gratitude makes life wonderful. Appreciation makes me more tolerant and turns dire situations into tolerable ones.
Happiness is a DIY project. It is in your hands, you know. Celebrate yourself. Every day.
It is that easy.
Have you seen the world’s first 24 hour music video by Pharrell Williams? Watch it here. It is fun!
Now: List three things you do to make yourself happy.
Whom shall we visit today? Let’s go see:
Meena Menon at Meena’s Space
Damaria Senne at Growing Our Food