What better way to begin the week with a Mindful Mondays post?
What better way to begin a Mindful Monday with Coffee Meditation?
What better way to begin the day than with coffee?
Being mindful is all about savoring every moment consciously. I seriously believe that I am a happy person because I practice living with intention. I take joy in the little things. It is wonderful how, when we make this a habit, everything seems amazing.
When we feel, sense and enjoy everything we see and each action we take, life is much better.
I am going to show you coffee meditation today because, well, I love coffee. I start my day with coffee and I savor every little step, right from making the coffee to the moment I wash my cup.
Now, I won’t insist you do coffee meditation – go ahead and adapt this practice to the beverage of your choice. It could be cocoa, or it could be chilled beer. You pick your favorite. The steps are the same. Well, almost!
The idea is basically to live in the moment and enjoy it thoroughly without allowing any distractions to get in the way. Switch off your cellphone if you like. Do away with anything that might interrupt this process.
How to do Coffee Meditation
- A reasonably quiet place
- Coffee (or whatever you like)
- Intention (obviously)
- Time – ten minutes max
Let’s get started!
Remember, this is a mindfulness exercise
- Pick your cup up, lovingly
- Hold it in both hands
- Feel the warmth in your palms
- Take your face close to the cup
- Take a deep breath
- Inhale the aroma
- Sense the warmth and the steam
- Savor the sensations in your nose
- Now place your lip on the cup’s edge
- No, don’t sip yet
- Let your lip touch the cup for about ten seconds
- What do you feel inside your mouth?
- Observe how the cup feels against your lip.
- Take a tiny sip.
- Wait! don’t swallow yet!
- Enjoy the taste, the flavour, the underlying bitterness.
- If you add cream and sugar, that’s a whole new step
- Swirl the coffee in your mouth, gently.
- Now swallow.
- Feel it moving down your throat
- Enjoy the rest of the coffee, slowly, mindfully.
How was the experience?
Repeat and savor if you like.
And yes, one more cup, please.
This kind of mindfulness can be practiced in everything we do through the day.
- Brushing our teeth
- In the shower
- Talking to someone
- You name it
It is all about focusing our attention in the moment without being distracted.
This especially helps when you feel a little low or feeling uncomfortable or in pain as it takes your mind away and puts your problem in perspective. Be kind to yourself!
Other meditations to try are:
Have a happy week ahead!