Mindful Living Wednesday Wisdom

Are you sitting on a nail?

Are you sitting on a nail

A young man, who moved into a new neighborhood and settled down. Everything was fine, except for his neighbor and his dog. The dog howled all the time.

The young man was patient. He thought, perhaps the dog had a problem? He assumed it would sooner or later stop howling and go about its business.

No such luck though. The dog kept at it.

Days passed.

Still nothing.

The young man finally lost his patience and decided to pay his neighbor a visit and find out what was up with the dog.

He found the man relaxing in his armchair, enjoying a book, looking unperturbed by his dog’s constant howling.

The young man asked him why his dog howled all the time.

The neighbor coolly answered that the dog was sitting on a nail.

The young man was shocked. He asked the neighbor why the dog wouldn’t get off the nail.

The neighbor replied:  It isn’t hurting bad enough.

If you have time to whine and complain about something then you have the time to do something about it #inspiringquotes #mindfulness #selfhelp

While it makes me mad that the neighbor is unconcerned about the dog sitting on the nail, this story nevertheless has an important life lesson.

Isn’t it true that each one of us have nails that hurt us?

Could be to do with work that doesn’t make us happy.

Or that painful relationship.

Or about cash issues.

Or about school.

Or dreams we’re unable to pursue for whatever reason.

Or health

…family

…friends

We each have one or more of these nails hurting us.

Big nails, small nails.

Often, instead of doing something about it, we put up with it.

We whine.

We wait until it gets too painful to take action.

We have a tendency to take action when we are desperate.

Of course, we have the choice to moan and complain or just get up and make a change.

What nails are hurting you right now?

What are you going to do?

Waste your energy complaining or finding a solution?

Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain – Henry Ford

To have something you’ve never had, you have to be willing to do something you have never done #motivationalquotes #mindfulness #selfhelp

Wednesday Wisdom is a series with short bursts of non-fattening, easy-to-consume wisdom in the form of stories, quotes, anecdotes, and humor.

How do we know
    December 7, 2018 at 12:27 am

What a lovely story!

Shubhangi Srikanth
    December 7, 2018 at 4:55 pm

Thought provoking, Vidya! I was sitting on a couple nails too, and it took me quite a long time to realize that and decide to get up. Like the man said till it doesn’t hurt bad enough, we aren’t likely to get up!

Shubhangi Srikanth
    December 7, 2018 at 4:57 pm

I don’t know where my comment disappeared…
    Shubhangi Srikanth recently posted…Book Review: The Fisher Queen’s Dynasty by Kavita Kane.

Shilpa Gupte
    December 7, 2018 at 5:08 pm

it’s best to get the damn nail out from under you and live peacefully! I just did it…got rid of one ‘nail’, and dealt with another! 🙂
    Shilpa Gupte recently posted…When anxiety has a stranglehold on you.

Shalzmojo
    December 7, 2018 at 5:32 pm

Oh wow! Now thats an important lesson Vidya. So true that we have a gripe in our life and keep a hold of it instead of doing something to get rid of it!

Marian Allen
    December 8, 2018 at 10:05 pm

Sometimes, people just don’t feel like THEMSELVES without a nail sticking into them. They’ll get off one nail only to find another to sit on. It’s a good story. A good analogy, barring people who are prevented from moving by force, coercion, circumstances, or depression.
    Marian Allen recently posted…Tipper’s Ambenture #Caturday #TipperAndChickie

Natasha
    December 10, 2018 at 12:11 pm

Yes, it’s better to pul that nail out of ones life and move on. Fortunately for me I’m not holding on to any nail at this point of time. The ones which I was, I let them go.

A very wise post, replete with life’s precious lesson.

Thank you dear Vidya. <3
    Natasha recently posted…TWO DOWN THREE TO GO: #Fiction #GuestPost #Blogiversary

upasna
    December 11, 2018 at 12:04 pm

I am sitting on a nail which makes me yell every now and then when it hurts much. But I cannot take it out. I believe one cannot control everything. Sometimes, we have to endure it. Such a nice analogy.