But productivity is not about:
- working all hours
- burning the midnight oil
- skipping your meals because you are too busy to eat
- slogging through your lunch hour
- sitting at your computer clacking away at your keyboard all the time
- becoming an extension of your desk
If you think that being a workaholic is the best way to become more productive, it is time to think again. Because you, my dear friend, need a break. Because addiction to work, like anything else, can be fatal.
When you work continuously ditching those breaks here is what you can expect: increased risk of weight gain and heart disease. Much worse, really. Did you know that if you’re eyeballing your computer screen for more than two hours a day, it causes Computer Vision Syndrome? This is a condition where your vision becomes blurry, you develop headaches and dry eyes. Essentially, you’re looking at a future with reduced vision and possibly, long term nearsightedness, lousy posture and a big butt (not in an attractive way, though).
Here’s a wonderful infographic created by LearnStuff.com that nicely illustrates what I just said.
- Guilty of sitting too much
- Thinking it is a crime to take a break
And the time is now, not someday.
Please share your tips in the comments.